Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need advice on Digital camera for fish pics  (Read 9018 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Need advice on Digital camera for fish pics
« on: December 16, 2006, 04:02:41 PM »

Help me out guys. Still in the dinasaur age with my 35 mm camera.  Takes great shots but I can't post them.  Don't have a scanner, either.  I kind of stayed away from digitals because the shutter speed was way too slow for my liking.  Hate keeping the fish out of the water longer than neccesary.  But now I hear the digital cameras are much better, quicker and smaller (and this is one of those places where smaller is better).  Don't know how much I need to spend but would consider $250 -300.  Got any ideas, boys?  Any help would be appreciated.

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
Re: Need advice on Digital camera for fish pics
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 04:41:20 PM »

I just picked up the Pentax Optio WP20 7mp. digi camera at London drugs on Broadway for $329.00 after a $50.00 mail in rebate. Good for underwater video/pictures up to 10ft. deep. So far so good.

redside1

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 05:04:24 PM »

hard to go wrong with either something from Pentax or Olympus in their respective waterproof series or the "water resistant" model from Olympus. All are very good, easy to pack along in a shirt pocket outdoor cameras. Choose the model you can get the best deal and customer srevice on.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 11:17:22 PM »

Shane or Randog...What's the difference between the 10 and the 20?  What does the 10 cost?

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 08:58:17 AM »

Shane,

Have you ever used the underwater video capabilities when playing a fish.  I don't know if I would need that feature if it doesn't really work that well when playing them.  If you have tried it does it work better in lakes rivers or oceans on fish?

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 10:24:31 AM »

I have the Pentax WPi which is the predacessor to the W10 and W20. I have done some underwater photography with mine. It takes a bit of luck, and a lot of trial and error to get a good shot ;D  I haven't tried to take any pics while fighting a fish, which would seam a bit chaotic  ;)  I have found that water clarity plays a big part in taking good pics, if there is debris in the water the autofocus may have a hard time finding the target subject. Sunny conditions work the best with underwater shots too, along with a light background too. Here are a few samples of underwater photos I've taken.

As you can see the last photo is a bit murky from suspended algae in the water. The 1st photo is super clear, because the water from that stream is extremely clear.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 11:03:29 AM »

Shane,

I'd like to see that video and any underwater shots you have.  My e-mail address is brentdavy@yahoo.com.  Also, do find that 1GB is enough memorynor is it better to have 2?

I've been checking out some prices on E-bay just to compare.  You can buy the  W20 which comes with a package (bag, extra battery, flexable tripod, and 2GB, plus a few other little doo das) and shipping to a U.S. location which I can do because I have relatives that come up all the time for about $300 US.  What do think?

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 11:03:37 AM »

Nice photos Mykiss!

One of the better online site for Digital cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/

has excellent reviews on almost every camera made going back a decade or so.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 01:08:14 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the info-been thinkin' about something like this for a while.

Those Trout pics are great!

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 07:21:36 PM »

I have a Cannon A60 and while it takes great pictures, but the shutter speed is painfully ssssllllloooooowwwww.  Once while taking pictures of an interesting icicle, it melted before I was able to capture a photo.

Also, I'd recommend looking at a waterproof or water resistant camera.  I've had my camera  get wet twice and takes many weeks to dry out fully and return to normal.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 07:25:23 PM by Matt »