Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: stealth or dne  (Read 15522 times)

ever_hopefull

Re: stealth or dne
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2006, 12:38:52 PM »

Interesting discussion.  My experience has been that I like the Stealth floats better (when they work), but found that the hole in the top made me switch over to the DNE.  Although I prefer the design of the Stealth, I will not buy it if it only lasts one or two days fishing - which again has been my experience.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2006, 01:23:05 PM »

well..... i know steve is gonna cringe but here is my evaluation, after being given several DNE and Several stealth floats to take out to the rivers and test. I do like the concept of the stealth and the way it fishes,  however, i too experienced the "cracking off of the top" on two of the three floats i have. These were not from hitting rocks, but from setting the hook. Comparing apples to apples, I compare the stealth to the drennan, both clear plastic floats. While the stealth is easier and a touch quicker to rig up, I've never seen a drennan break on the strike. I only use the drennan for steelhead, and would switch to stealth, providing the breakage issues were fixed. I do like the stealth product and for a guy who wants to fish a clear plastic float, I would recommend it over a pricey drennan.

Now the DNE, again, when comparing apples to apples is probably the best foam float to come down the pike in a while. I love the way it sits, and especially the way it just disappears when a fish hits, there ain't no question , when that puppy disappears.... set the hook ;D. I would fish a dne over any other foam float for this reason. Many guys will swear there is no differrence between it and the dink  (other than price) but ... well... maybe not, they both catch fish. But you won't ever see me with a regular dink when i'm steelhead fishing. I like the "drennan-ish" shape of the dne and i think it gives an edge over the standard dink shape, especially on lite biting fish. Another feature that no other foam float has, the gram rating on the float, especially important to the serious steelhead angler.

So.... for clear plastic floats, I still lean on my more expensive Drennans, BUT, if the stealth boys work the kinks out with the new product, and make them in different sizes, I would reconsider the drennan.

for foam floats..... DNE hands down... I'll never touch another dink float again ... but then again I never really liked dink floats to begin with.

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2006, 02:17:33 PM »

^ ENUFF WITH THE DINK TALK, SHOULDN'T U B WORKING ?  ;) I MYSELF HAVE USED BOTH, HAVENT BROKE A STEALTH YET, AND 4 THE DNE FLOATS.....THE BEST FOAM FLOAT ON THE MARKET HANDS DOWN ! PERFECT SIZE AND WEIGHT !

got fish

• 7-11 steelhead
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2006, 02:54:45 PM »

I have had the same stealth float for soo long...has done me well.. no holes or anything... its between drennan and stealth for me............have never tried the dne floats. :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2006, 04:38:15 PM »

I've been using same balsa float for over 2 years and never lost it. I tried a Stealth. On my fifth cast the float and I parted ways. Not impressed. :(

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2006, 07:06:53 PM »

drennan for steelhead and dne for all the other garbage. >:(

Garbage???  ::)

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2006, 07:20:47 PM »

Fish are not garbage!!! They are a beautiful species!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2006, 04:06:12 PM »

Fished strictly drennes this seasson they are just the best, i also lost one  :( it was a very sad momment on the flow untill i rigged up my other one. ;D
[

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2006, 06:44:39 PM »

drennan zepplers, torpedo shaped balsa and green dink floats for me.  I tried the DNEs and they are definately more sensitive than a dink float but I have more confidence with drennans and balsas because IMO they are less obtrusive, and for me dink floats still have their place for fast deep flows where more weight is required to get down to the zone and float visibility is less of an issue.  Cost is not a factor for me because I don't lose my floats often.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 07:07:28 PM by Eagleye »