Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Vedder Nov.2  (Read 2459 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Lower Vedder Nov.2
« on: November 02, 2006, 09:57:43 PM »

Chum, and more chum. Perhaps the most chum I've ever seen there.
They bit hard on silver dimpled colorados #2 & 3.
Some real chromers

YaHoo the Chum are here :o
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Lower Vedder Nov.2
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 10:41:40 PM »

chum chum chum, no coho ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 08:16:23 AM »

Well right now, I am just looking for smokers and if im lucky mabye even a bbq..er :D
Around how many chums did you land?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 08:25:25 AM »

Chum, and more chum. Perhaps the most chum I've ever seen there.
They bit hard on silver dimpled colorados #2 & 3.
Some real chromers

YaHoo the Chum are here :o

By "chromers", do you mean the chum or your colorado blades?   ;D  Where are all the coho?  It seems there's more chum than you can "shake a stick at" - in several systems!

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 09:33:01 AM »

after several walks on local rivers, wearing my high end polarized shades, which in 10 or so feet of clear water you can count the rocks on the bottom..... I have come to the conclusion that there is something wrong..... coho do not seem to be returning anywhere near like we have come to be used to. It's not like they are there and just have lock jaw, they simply aren't there. If after these rains the river edges are not lined with small waves of coho passing by regularly, there is some cause for concern. So far the fall cap coho are non existant, the big bump of early coho on the chilliwack never really showed up, and a creek i hike into every year on the north side of the fraser, is devoid of coho period. Normally by end of oct they can be seen on thier redds by now by the hundreds. This creek has some hatchery introduction but is primarily a wild coho stream with the usual catches on a decent year seeing about 1 hatchery clipped fish for every 15 or 20 landed. I feel that there is something very wrong and for the past 3 to 4 years this trend is worsening

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 02:54:55 PM »

after several walks on local rivers, wearing my high end polarized shades, which in 10 or so feet of clear water you can count the rocks on the bottom..... I have come to the conclusion that there is something wrong..... coho do not seem to be returning anywhere near like we have come to be used to. It's not like they are there and just have lock jaw, they simply aren't there. If after these rains the river edges are not lined with small waves of coho passing by regularly, there is some cause for concern. So far the fall cap coho are non existant, the big bump of early coho on the chilliwack never really showed up, and a creek i hike into every year on the north side of the fraser, is devoid of coho period. Normally by end of oct they can be seen on thier redds by now by the hundreds. This creek has some hatchery introduction but is primarily a wild coho stream with the usual catches on a decent year seeing about 1 hatchery clipped fish for every 15 or 20 landed. I feel that there is something very wrong and for the past 3 to 4 years this trend is worsening

I totally hear what you're saying .....

Check out that article in the Vancouver Sun, where all kinds of learned people put chinook and coho stocks at 10% of where they were for the BC coast...as an average.

I advocate the complete closure of wild Coho fishing in the 'chuck, the increase of minimum size limits on springs to 70 cm coastwide, with non retention of all Springs over 37 inches, and a license buy back plan to HALVE the entire commercial fishing fleet in BC for ALL SPECIES, including Herring, groundfish, etc... the time is NOW to act. I also recommend the annual limit of springs be halved, and possession limits be halved as well.

Kill the industry and put innocent people out of work? So be it, if we're going to have any fish left to fish for, this must happen.

I'm tired of hearing environment this, and environment that, Natives this, Natives that, Commercial Guys this, Commercial Guys that, Americans this, Americans that and the Sporties the last to say...Sporties this, and Sporties that...if at all.

I talked to a buddy this morn and he say people walk out of the Vedder yesterday with limits of everything....hatchery or no hatchery...that doesn't mean diddley....even the hatchery fish didn't make it... tells us that it's more than just over fishing...its a systemic problem.
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 04:46:49 PM »

I have spot, which I will not name, that over the last several years has produced tons of coho every season.  A dozen per day was not unsual.  This year it was not for the lack of fish as there seemed be more than previous years, the only difference was they wouldnt bite.  Yah, I caught some nice fish but no where near what I should have.  This wasnt because of low water as water conditions do not play much of a factor there.  These fish were not stale, they are bars of chrome, covered in sea lice, coming in on the tides.  I dont think I landed 10 fish there this year in about 14 trips, when the year before in about 10 trips i hooked well over 75 fish. 

Im glad though that this system has not followed the same route that the Fraser Valley systems seem to be on. 

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 06:15:14 PM »

Rivers probably starting to get high with all the rain?
The Coho seem to be a bit slow in showing or hard to hook. I guess the hatchery would know?
But there were streams and oodles of fairly fresh Chum yesterday. I would have eaten one or smoked one if that's what your after. Or if I didn't still have some sockeye left. Would like another coho though
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?