Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Three Rivers, 3 Days Of The Journal  (Read 5069 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Three Rivers, 3 Days Of The Journal
« on: November 01, 2006, 11:34:22 PM »

A pleasant late night Wednesday welcome to The Journal on FWR your top site for fishing information on the net. It most likely be Thurday before I finish it.

Tonight after a busy couple of days I laid down for a nap after supper and I just woke up, well that was smart, as I am now wide awake, getting back to sleep will be fun so I thought I might as well scribe The Journal. Before the nap I was watching the Leaf game on TSN, decided to tape the third so have that to watch as well and hope they have rebounded from a 2-1 deficit, retirement is certainly great when one can keep such silly hours.

After nearly landing my first adult coho of the season, on the Chehalis as I described on Sunday's journal I decided once again to head in that direction Monday morning.

Jack Frost was certainly in the air Monday morning as I prepared the Leaf Mobile for the 50 minute trek across to the North side of the mighty Fraser. Is it a sign of what is to come this year and we will have a Winter season after all. One could maybe could say the Fraser is not that mighty now, flow wise as she is as low as I have seen her at this time of the year, in recent history. Although I have been told the water level is up nearly a foot at Island 22 now. Has some water been released on one of its tributaries recently or has it been rained in her headwaters? Maybe with this late season jump I can once again launch the Leaf Craft at Island 22, it has been difficult the last while in two wheel drive vehicles with many getting stuck. I would like to try bar fishing one more time this season, maybe can get a coho that way.

As I turn the Leaf Mobile Eastward, to-wards Highway 1, she is really cranky and nearly stalls a couple of times. The motor is running so rough I believe I may have to cancell the trip and take her to Doctor Chad instead.

She snorts, puffs her displeasure as I continue on, to get a single single large at Tims. I will give her that far to see if she improves her attitude and will be willing to transport her cargo onward, to the fishing grounds.

With coffee in hand that quickly warms my inner body the Leaf Mobile seems to maybe be also warming to the sweet aroma that a coffee can offer on a cool Fall morning. She is still not running perfect but as I turn onto the slow lane of TCH she begins to accelerate not perfect but acceptable. :-\

As daylight is now approaching over Mt. Cheam and Lady Peak, now both glorious in a light dusting of fresh snow that have erased their respective bland summer coat of brown. It reminds me that the Steelhead season is not far off, when a morning like this should be the norm, when only the dieheart anglers will be challenging British Columbia's number one gamefish. Can't you see it now, float down, the brilliant flash of silver, line peeling of your reel, a rush of adrenalin through your body as you prepare for a battle that only a steelhead can offer.

I shake my head, to awaken from this dream and get back to business of downing my precious cup of coffee, listening to the now purring motor of the Leaf Mobile seeminly willing to continue the journey.

As most of you are smarter than me, are in bed, maybe dreaming of that Winter steelhead I will take a break, watch the taped hockey game. If the Leafs win I may be happy to complete more of the Journal, if they lose who knows I might have one of Fish Assassin's favorite beverages, to ease the pain and go to bed too. Hopefully back shortly. ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 12:38:35 AM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: A Three River, 3 Day's Of The Journal
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 01:22:26 AM »

Well back after watching the Leafs continuing rolling, rolling, rolling right along ;D ;D ;D with a 4-2 win over Tampa Bay. It was nice to have the third period on tape as I could watch the Leaf goals a few times. ;D No need for that beer but I imagine Fish Assassin is crying in his. :D I better check Sports Chat but I imagine the other boys are quiet this morning after the Canucks lost two nights ago. As I thought, no posts from them. ;D

I arrive at the Chehalis around 7:30 and decide to park in the Hatchery parking lot, mainly for security reasons but I also wanted to see a fellow I know who is now working there. Also I was curious to see what the newly dug channel, to let some water down to-wards the hatchery area now looks.
 I get ready for a few hours of fishing, packing my lunch in a backpack, along with the rest of my gear. I have seen a few other anglers using a backpack and I find it more comfortable than my fishing vest,although locating things is not as convenient at times. A good tip, I find if you are fishing an area and not moving around too far from the spot take your vest or backback off, more comfortable and easy on our aging backs.

I see Jim drive in, I slip into the office and we have a nice visit discussing a few fishing issues including all the sweeping etc. going on these days. He is concerned as I am and I fill him in on the movement now going on including some meetings to try and improve fishing ethics by education, regulation changes, enforcement and gear changes if necessary. Jim says Coho returns are not up to par on the Chehalis similar to the Vedder, hopefully this could change as the Chehalis fish come in later than the Chilliwack system.

As it is work time for him and fishing time for me we part, I hike out to-wards the outlet of the intake channel, no one fishing there which is unusual but the dropping water does not offer much of an area to fish, in my mind anyway. I notice oodles of chum in the channel, no coho but as the Master told me several times, most of the coho head into the canyon area, stage there, developing their reproductive organs before dropping back down river, to then entry the hatchery or spawn in the lower river's prime spawning area.

The channel has been dug all the way down from the Easter Seal to the outlet channel, the walking is easy for most of the way. The newly dug channel has created a new home for the spawning chum who are busy at work, procreating for the future run of their species.

I reach the Easter Seal after cutting through part of the bush at the top end of the channel, a park like setting, some trees are turning into their dress of golden, aided by the last few days of frost. 3 or 4 anglers fishing, 3 others gabbing on the bar,sipping coffee or some other other beverage from silver thermos'. The like the surrounding forest are feeling the effect our the current mornings cold spell. They, like most of us are most likely taking about the lack of coho, the topic of the day these days it seems. A mystery to many what has happened to them, Province wide. Is it ocean survival, lack of feed in the sea, over harvest in the big pond, warmer fresh water conditions cause by warmer temperatures and lower snowpacks. Some say hatchery cutbacks because of government decreases in funding the program is the main cause or as one forum member said recently we seem bend in destroying so many of our prime rearing areas, small creeks in the name of progress. However why are the chum in this river doing so well, maybe they spend no time here after hatching as they head to the ocean estuary areas soon after emerging from the gravel beds. Looking at them maybe they are harder fish as well.

On talking to one fellow who is flogging the still perfect river conditions he tells me he had not personally seen a coho taken this morning, nearly 3 hours in the fishing day. I have never seen the Seal so vacant of anglers, it is like a ghost town. I do not hold up much hope even though as I said conditions were "A 1", down maybe 6 inches from the previous night. I cast half heartily for maybe 30 minutes before moving on, leaving the 3 remaining anglers to try and break the mornings coho less day.

I move up to where The Master and I fished Sunday evening where I did break off a small coho,here once again trying to break my coho less streak.

I settle in quickly, begin casting some perfect roe that The Master had left to me, most likely feeling sorry for me but hey he has not got any either in the Vedder or the Chehalis. I donot know anyone that makes bait like the Master does. Saying he has not taken any either is not completely true as he had taken some very nice coho on the fly, in Harrison before the rains moved them out. He was guiding a chap from Scotland and boy did they get some tanks by the look of the pictures he sent me, fairly good numbers of them too. Nick told me they had to work very hard to get them. More patience than this angler has.

I am into chum right away very colored ones, I lose track of how many maybe 3 or 4, all buck toothed saber looking fish, strong fighters but I am looking for a coho. I take a break, snack on the goodies from the pack and tie on a blade that The Master gave me but it does not intice a coho or even a chum, back to roe.

Once again float down, another chum I think but no, a small fish is airborne, a small jack coho. I bring it to-wards me, looking for a missing adipose fin as no fresh fish in the pan for a while, 3 weeks is it?

As it comes in close, it flips again and bides me adieu as the hook flys out, darn no fresh fish.

Talking about says goodbye I have to do that too as my eyes are becoming heavy, even with the feeling of jubilation of the Leaf win last night. I will leave the computer now as I did the Chehalis shortly after losing that coho jack. I will be continuing The Journal's journey, as I headed to Dewdney along with more adventure on the way.

I may finish it before I head for a goose hunt in about 5 hours and more outdoor adventure, good night now that is if if there is anyone still on the forum at this ungodly hour. ::)

Hi Nina but I guess it is morning with you now. ;D

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 05:25:50 AM by chris gadsden »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 02:38:02 AM »

Thanks for another good chehalis report. Be careful Chris dont let anyone film over that tape, Its gonna be there last win for awhile, saver the moment.  :)
The Bigger The Better!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 06:30:09 AM »

Don't worry Chris you will get that elusive Coho sooner than later :) thx for the report , I was going to head to the Chehalis this weekend but now I think I will stick with Squamish !!
Cheers
Rick

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 08:52:10 AM »

Don't worry Chris you will get that elusive Coho sooner than later :) thx for the report , I was going to head to the Chehalis this weekend but now I think I will stick with Squamish !!
Cheers
Rick
If it rains hard it may be worth a try.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 09:16:28 AM »

Nice report Chris. I must have just missed you. I was at the easter seal first light and I was the only one there. What a treat. Only stayed till about 8am there and I too went to the hatchery to check the flow and could see a fishermen up in the new channel trying to snag fish. He was too far away to snap a photo but when he saw me pretending to take his pic he packed up and left. I then decided to head lower down to hunt for some pools and found a couple but only one produced coho. I lost a big northern at the beach and the other one I got on the fly but lost that one as well when the fly decided that I would be a better target. Spotted lots of bear tracks and the chum that they where feeding on with their bellys torn open. I guess they want the roe as badly as some of the fishermen.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 10:23:31 AM »

thanks for the report guys! THE_ROE_MAN is happy I got some roe for our late december coho trips when he comes back for a week :P
weeeeeeeeeow!

Ribwart

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 11:59:26 AM »

Great read Chris....we want more!
rib

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 03:22:25 PM »

Great read Chris....we want more!
rib
Thanks will complete it later as when I got back from the goose hunt this morning had to dash off with Lew to make a presentation at City Hall to the Vedder River Management Committee re the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Coalition. Part of the questions we had to try an deal with was there is pressure to close most of the Vedder River Dyke due to all the ATV's, motorcycles, garbage dumping, loud parties etc. That is why we try our best to keep it clean and our fellow fishermen do not help with the garbage they leave too and worse. The other day I parked by the Blue Cup and someone had done their morning constution right on the dyke, TP and all. ??? Of course it may be unfair to blame a fisher as it could have been anyone but still come on people. However it was right where the cars were parking.

Hijacking my own thread I know but a mini journal for today so not too far out of line I guess. So many stories with so little time to tell them all. Going out for a walk now after a nap, trying to recover from the late night last night doing part of The Journal and watching the Leaf Game on tape. ;D ;D Who every said retirement can be dull. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 03:24:32 PM »

Nice report Chris. I must have just missed you. I was at the easter seal first light and I was the only one there. What a treat. Only stayed till about 8am there and I too went to the hatchery to check the flow and could see a fishermen up in the new channel trying to snag fish. He was too far away to snap a photo but when he saw me pretending to take his pic he packed up and left. I then decided to head lower down to hunt for some pools and found a couple but only one produced coho. I lost a big northern at the beach and the other one I got on the fly but lost that one as well when the fly decided that I would be a better target. Spotted lots of bear tracks and the chum that they where feeding on with their bellys torn open. I guess they want the roe as badly as some of the fishermen.
Sorry I missed you too, with the rain we are getting now the Chehalis may be worth a look tomorrow but snow level down. It is that or bar fishing in the rain on the Fraser instead. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 11:30:23 PM »

Finally, time to complete The Journal before another one starts.

The trek back to the Leaf Mobile that is parked at the Hatchery parking lot takes about 15 minutes, the time is shortly after 12.
As I drive past the grasslands of the Harrison River, just before the Sandpiper Golf Course I notice a good number of ducks there, most will be feeding on the dead chum, nice to look at only no shooting here as eating them is not the best table fair as duck meat and fish never seem to mix. That is unless unwelcome guest drop in announced for supper, the smell of them cooking will see them quickly finding a reason to leave before supper. ;D ;D

I decide to pull into the newly renovated Sasquatch Inn for a coffee break. The small cafe that was once there is now one big pub but of course one can always get a brew on a different kind at a pub, coffee.

I pull up to a vacant table, the sever comes over and he asks are you CG, I know the face but it takes me a few seconds to pull his mind from my 63 year old head. " O hi Cam good to see you again" I am amazed I remember his name that fast, a ball player of old that we played against on another team, memories now long past but fondly remembered. Days when The Master was in his prime as our chucker and homerun hitter as good as he is an angler today. I can still see many balls flying out of Monarch Park from his bat that now could only appear again as a Field of Dreams ballpark. It was torn down to make way for a new leisure centre. I remember video taping it being torn down a few years ago, seeing its distruction after we had worked so hard to make it a field we could be proud of. My eyes misted as I filmed as it does today the odd time I drive by its now paved infield and outfield. I try to imagine the shadows of my teammates still making that game winning play or hit. Progress they say it was.

I have transgressed again,sorry. Cam brings me the steaming coffee, not like a Tims but still welcome, taking the chill off from the nippy morning. I read the Province paper so full of bad news it always seems.

Cam slips over with a refill and tells me I missed the excitement a couple of hours ago.

Apparently some chap was driving erratically down Hwy 7 near the Inn, nearly hitting a number of other cars. Then he goes into the ditch after nearly hitting an elderly couple's car. The couple goes to aid this guy, he comes up over the bank and jumps into the couples car and speed off heading East. An alert Highway worker radios the Harrison Swing Bridge that is being repaired, they block the bridge somehow with the thief turning around, heads West. I believe the RCMP finally caught this guy and in the process at the end has stolen 4 cars. As I freelance for Global TV wish I had been there but I had no camera that day. Instead I phone to give them the news tip in case there was more to the story than just this, was the guy an escaped prisoner from a local prison facility or what. Never heard anymore. Glad no one was hurt, one never knows when you head out for the day that lies ahead for you.

With the second cup of coffee consumed I bid Cam and the Inn goodbye, will have to drop in for lunch one day.

I decide to go for a bit of a walk for some bottles -tins below the swing bridge and check out the Harrison River shoreline. The bottles are there in good numbers, enough to pay for the coffee and more. There is more than the money one makes by picking up recyclables, they can be resused meaning less minerals from our earth is extracted along with energy used to produce them. In our dwindling energy resources I always feel every little bit helps.

Besides the bottles the shoreline is littered with hundreds of rotting chum bodies, their life cycle now complete. Some lay twisted in death, others are cut in two by workers with machetes, counting them for the FOC Assessment Branch.

It is hard to believe a few weeks ago these now mud covered decaying bits of flesh were once silver slabs of chrome, coming from depths the Pacific, homing in first on the Fraser River mouth.There by some wonder of nature they pick up the scent of their natal stream, in this case, the Harrison. On the way they dodged commercial nets, FN beach seines, bar fishers and sweepers in their nearly 100 mile journey home.

There on the spawning grounds they have quickly transformed into their spawning colours, the bucks develop those large teeth but they have no trouble attracting their mate, how they court and choose them is a mystery to me. The redd is dug, the doe now deposits her precious eggs  with her mate constantly at her side, fighting off other suitors.

Finally both bodies are spent, they struggle to protect their home to the end, but the spawning ritual and the growing fungus now has taken its toll, they drift apart forever, their life ended.

The good news is a new life has started not far from where the masses now lay.
Is it the late hour that makes my eyes misty as I type this segment of the journal or is it I care like so many for the survival of our fish stocks that face so many challenges these days.

I leave this line of death and head West to Dewdney.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 11:33:59 PM by chris gadsden »

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 12:03:30 AM »

you seem to know a lot of spots out in the valley for ducks chris, me and my family are moving out to a house we bought in greendale in about 2 weeks, we should go out sometime 8)
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 12:31:49 AM »

Took a break to make lunch for tomorrows fishing trip. I promise I will finish this Journal now, will make it short. ;D

I arrive at Dewdney Slough Bridge on Hwy #7 nestled next to the tiny village of Dewdney that consists of a small store, a restaurant, a pub and a school and not much more.

It looks like the tide is comming in, I phone Rodney for a tide update to confirm. He tells me it is a strong flood tide. As I prepare the rod, changing over to a colorado blade I see a few other people casting lures.

I have hit a couple of bright chum in this area before with a colorado, fishing it with a float. As I slip over the bank I see the odd fish rising, mostly chum I guess. I slip above a friendly angler and we chat as we cast out our respective lures. He says nothing yet. Shortly after I have started fishing one of two fellows below us is into a fish, as he brings it near shore his partner attempts to take out the hook. Glad to see them keep it in the water. The fish is flopping about, then I see something I could hardly believe. The guy trying to extact the hook boots the fish just like you would a soccer ball, onto the gravel shore. >:( The fellow below me and I are in aghast. Then this same fellow boots it the same way, back into the water. :o I shake my head and think I should head down and say something but decide to record his license number instead.

This guy sure had no appreciation for our fish, unbelievable. I could no longer stay at this spot and maybe witness this again. I could write more thoughts on this display of disrespect but you are thinking what I would scribe anyway.

I had thought of heading back to the Chehalis for the last bit of daylight but I have lost any intrest in fishing now. I drive down to the Dewdney boat launch and see it is still closed due to low water. I then get a call from Gwyn and we decide to close out the day on a evening duck hunt. I drive the 40 odd minutes back to Chilliwack, the duck hunt is as successful as the fishing trip,1 shot fired one duck flying free.

The second day of The Journal was taken up with a meeting, getting Dr Chad to fix the Leaf Mobile of her ills and a night of badminton. Keeping it short now as another fishing adventure, today now is close at hand. ;D

Day three's highlight was being with Buckeye checking out a bit of a Tent City at Teskey Rock. At the same time an angler was coming out with a chinook, this was bad timing for this individual as a CO was there also. This angler had not marked his chinook on his license so he was issued a ticket that will cost him a dollar or two or a day in court. Was good to see the officier out on the flow. Especially when some say they are not out there but let me tell you they are, they are not always visible. ;D

How I wish he was around when that guy mistreated the chum the day before. He should have had a book thrown at him.

That finally ends The Journal, a bit long but I hope it gave you some enjoyment like it does to me to write it, even though sometimes the events are not as pleasant as they could be.

One final thing watch the Chilliwack Progress today for the article on the flossing issue it will certainly create lots of conversation around the water cooler and coffee shops. Just think it started here on FWR as two of the threads started a few days ago were read by the reporter that started things rolling right along. ;D

Today I will try to leave this debate behind as I start another adventure in 5 hours, another journal somewhere in the Valley. I think I will finally break the coho less streak, until then, good night,good fishing to all readers of The Journal.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 04:58:50 AM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 12:33:00 AM »

you seem to know a lot of spots out in the valley for ducks chris, me and my family are moving out to a house we bought in greendale in about 2 weeks, we should go out sometime 8)
A FWR duck shoot. ;D ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Three Rivers, 3 Days Of The Journal
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 01:55:02 AM »

Went duck hunting today, found a good spot, many nice clean ducks being taken, many of them were being kight flossed. >:(   jk

What with all the duck hunting going on? Is this for sport or for meat? I guess this is one sport you cant catch and release  ;D
The Bigger The Better!