Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have a dilemma - looking for suggestions  (Read 2759 times)

ever_hopefull

Have a dilemma - looking for suggestions
« on: October 31, 2006, 09:46:04 AM »

I am taking a buddy out on Saturday.  He is a novice fisherman and has some physical disabilities (has a bit of a hard time walking over uneven ground).  I was planning to take him to the Vedder a couple of weeks ago because I was pretty sure he would get a chinook, but if all else failed he would at least get into a few dogs.  Plans fell through and now we are heading out this Saturday.  I checked out the lower Vedder yesterday (Peach, Lickman, and downstream quite a ways), and it was really slow.  There may be some spots further up that he can get into (Tamahi, or the upper limit pool), but am starting to think of other rivers.  Squamish might be possible in some spots, and although I have never fished the Stave the reports seem interesting.  He will likely use my spinning gear, but if he can get the technique for using the bait caster I will lend that gear to him, and I will fish the center pin or fly.  Maybe the Chilliwack might be best.

Suggestions?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: Have a dilemma - looking for suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 12:29:45 PM »

The stave would be really easy to get him out and walk him down, good chance to hook something too..may not want to keep it but still a helluva a good time..

ever_hopefull

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 05:30:12 PM »

Thanks, those are a couple of good suggestions.    Another fella suggested fishing the Harrison around Kilby, but again that is an area that I only fished once or twice before.  I know that a boat would be ideal, but can you effectively fish from shore at this time of year?  The Stave might be a good option in that in the event that we are not too successful, seeing others catch fish is sometimes "fun" as a very last resort  :'(.  It is not meat in the freezer that keeps me coming back, it is the anticipation of the bite and the thrill of the fight that gives the adrenalin rush.  Is there a good map of the Stave - on-line or otherwise?  I couldn't find anything on Sharphooks.

Yes, Nuggy that was me (I've been busted  8)).

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 05:46:57 PM »

One idea apart from getting him in-take a 20 litre bucket with you-you know what I mean they're everywhere.

Turn it upside down and he'll be able to sit down for a short spell-that way he can save his energy/back muscles for concentrating on fishing.

black jack

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 06:42:31 PM »

Down river from Vedder Crossing. Easy access/ Gravel bars. Plenty of chum & springs thru-out with the possibility of coho. (You'll get into some fish, no matter how slow it is).  Avoid the crowds and it should be a memorable day. Good luck! Love the bucket idea, Sam.  Bucket's also great for packing gear, bait, groceries and refreshments.

Jack
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 06:52:58 PM by black jack »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 07:30:08 PM »

The stave is pretty easy to find. You take lougheed highway to 282nd street in Ruskin ( East side of Maple Ridge ). You follow 282nd to the dam and cross the dam ( be careful as it is only one lane ). Just as you get to the other side there is a gate on the south side of the road. Go threw the gate on follow the road down to the parking lot. There is two parking lots the first one which will be the best for you to access the river is pretty small. If that one is full the second and bigger one is right beside that one. You will want to access the river threw the first lot as the second lot has steep stairs to a bridge and then alot of rocks to the river. I hope this helps and good luck with the fishing. Tight lines.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 10:56:19 PM »

Shane's got one good spot to walk doggies for ya.
As well there are a few spots on the Vedder you can practically drive to, and on the Fraser fish the tide changes for whatever comes along right now. Which should be Coho but I never said that.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

ever_hopefull

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 08:48:05 AM »

Great ideas - thanks everybody, it is appreciated.   :)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 11:46:32 AM »

Watch out for some big springs. Inch creek hatchery nets the toilet bowl twice a week and last week they got some pretty big crome whites out of the toilet bowl. Apperently one was close two 90lbs. If that is true that would be a huge fish. The guys at the shop where telling me about it and they have a pretty reliable source at the hatchery.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

ever_hopefull

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 08:46:27 AM »

Change in plans - a buddy of mine heard we were going out and offered to throw his boat in the water and fish the Harrison this weekend.  Again, a river I am not familiar with, but hopefully the fish will be accommodating.   ;)  I heard red-stripped Crocs are good, but don't know much else. ???  I assume the Chum and Chinook will be well past their prime, but maybe a Coho might be nice and shiny.  What should we expect???