Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: physics and fishing question - breaking point of leader vs rod.  (Read 1831 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
physics and fishing question - breaking point of leader vs rod.
« on: October 30, 2006, 01:10:43 PM »

If a rod is rated at 10 to 20 pounds and you are using 50 pound as your mainline and 20 pound leader - are you fairly certain that the leader will break before the rod?

any experts?

ps. strictly theory but I saw a bb'r on the vedder have his rod snap. I asked what he was using and he gave me the above numbers. The rod was a shimano convergence.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 01:12:15 PM by dennisK »

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: physics and fishing question - breaking point of leader vs rod.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 01:28:57 PM »

Ever taken a corner in your car thats marked 40KM and your doing 60KM?  I think that the rod manufacures would not label a rod 15-20lb rating if it had a failure point of 20lb - I think they would build in a safety margine.

Graphite rods can be bruised and stressed so that they fail prior to their line rating though.  As well a sharp snapping/jerking force seems to harder on a rod than a slow steady pull. 

What was this guy doing? pulling on a snag? trying to stop a 40lb fish hooked in the my friend? 

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 01:29:34 PM »

Unless you are putting extreme pressure on the rod in the wrong places or are moving the rod in rapid jerking motions then the leader will always snap before the rod, if the rod is damaged in any way this could also cause the rod to break as it would have a weak spot ...
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 02:01:49 PM »

Okay - it depends on the angle of your rod in relation to the water - and of course the load.

A 15-lb fish will break a 20-35-lb rated rod even if you have a 20-lb leader. I know because I did it on the Fraser this year out of a boat. Yes while BB-ing.

I had a 10' leader and was standing in the boat with my rod pointing straight up maybe even a bit pointed back behind me at the point of snap. This while my partner was trying to net the fish. Stupid me, I know better than that, but when the Spring took one more burst it just popped. We landed the fish but I felt like and idiot.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 04:38:52 PM »

Also - It depends on how you are holding your rod.  They are designed to accept the stress throughout their whole length.  if you are "choking up" on the rod, to reach down to your fish or what have you, then it's a dicey situation.

I wouldn't use leader that has the same "rated" breaking point as my rod.  Rod breaking point should be GREATER than your leader.  Manufacturing variations can cause one to be stronger than the other.  If that's your leader, it's goodbye rod  :'(

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 05:07:09 PM »

nope never do that, sure to snap the rod! IF its a new rod then ur on the ok side, but it still might break, but if the rod has some usage and whear to it then i wouldn't use a leader that heavy!
Fish killer 101

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 07:20:52 AM »

If a rod is rated at 10 to 20 pounds and you are using 50 pound as your mainline and 20 pound leader - are you fairly certain that the leader will break before the rod?

any experts?

ps. strictly theory but I saw a bb'r on the vedder have his rod snap. I asked what he was using and he gave me the above numbers. The rod was a shimano convergence.

Simple, put a nail in the floor.Tie the leader to the nail and see what breaks first.

You will find that you cannot break the leader as the rod is not strong enough.