Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do salmons really bite on wool? How to keep a fish in a pool while fighting?  (Read 8189 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I will ask 2:40 or someone that is not as fumble fisted as I to describe how it done.

goinfishin

I will ask 2:40 or someone that is not as fumble fisted as I to describe how it done.

Great, thanks! I'm actually a little hyped now about creating my first wool tie.. how sad is this  :'(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

As far as controlling fish when you have a fish thrashing about, trying to leave the pool in a lot of cases you have fouled hooked it. When a fish is hooked inside the mouth you have proper control of the fish. This is why you see people fighting a fish for so long as they have no proper control of it and when they land it you will see it is caught other than in the mouth. Even though I short float and do not foul hook that many fish over a season I do the odd time, 2 this season, one in the hinge the other under the chin.
In both cases I could tell they are foul hooked very early into the playing of the fish.

Not totally true.  If you have strong line, stiff rod, plus the fish at the other end is not huge, and you have problem controlling the fish then it could be true.  However, many times while coho fishing is that light gear is being used.  There is just no way to control the fish.  I have came upon springs that leap twist (you can see it's hooked good in the mouth) and dart towards the rapids and just sit in the rapid and there's no way you can move it.  Tried pulling, leaving slacks no help, just sit there.  There's just no way to control the fish.  By the way lost them at the end.
There of course is always exceptions, this has been my experience over the years as most of the time fish (Steelhead) respect the pool and stay in as they hate to go over the shallows if there is some at the tailout. Of course the size of  a run determines what can happen.  Over the years I have hardly hooked any chinooks in the Vedder so maybe when I do my opinion may change.

funpig

Re:  making wool ties

Use a bait loop on your hook.  Just cut a piece of wool about 1 inch long.  I like to use two pieces of different color for contrast.  Regarding colour, you can try just about anything.  If the fish are not there or not biting, nothing will work.  When the bite is on, it doesn't matter which colour you use.  I usually use peach and red, but I've tried white, black, orange, pink.  Stick the two pieces side by side in the bait loop and cinch the loop over the middle of the wool strand(s).  I then wet it down in the river.  Using sharp scissors, trim away the ends of the wool so that it looks like a little ball (about the diameter of a dime to a nickle.  I've been told to trim it down to the size of a pea for coho).   One wool tie can last all day until you break it off.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard

HAHA biff funny ud mention that. I have tried that before. With springs, well this is what happened the first time. I chuck a rock behind the fish, the fish takes of 100 mph up river and we couldnt chace it up. and the other time. i chucked it below, and the fish still darted 100mph down stream

Yeah I saw this teachnique back fire on a fellow the fish took off even more down stream ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

goinfishin

Re:  making wool ties

Use a bait loop on your hook.  Just cut a piece of wool about 1 inch long.  I like to use two pieces of different color for contrast.  Regarding colour, you can try just about anything.  If the fish are not there or not biting, nothing will work.  When the bite is on, it doesn't matter which colour you use.  I usually use peach and red, but I've tried white, black, orange, pink.  Stick the two pieces side by side in the bait loop and cinch the loop over the middle of the wool strand(s).  I then wet it down in the river.  Using sharp scissors, trim away the ends of the wool so that it looks like a little ball (about the diameter of a dime to a nickle.  I've been told to trim it down to the size of a pea for coho).   One wool tie can last all day until you break it off.

Thanks funpig! sounds simple enough

younggun

• Old Timer

yes they bite wool, in fast current when the wool is flowing past them at a good pace they see as an egg, so thats when i use wool, but in slow moving pools i use roe, so they can inspect it. Its just a reaction to what is being presented to them. Some times one will out do the other, but its kinda hard to tell/ except with coho and sometimes springs! I always catch my coho on roe, i'll fish a pool or run with wool nothing then roe, couple fish, then colorado blade and then move on! Springs i usually catch on wool 6/9 springs that i have caught were on wool, so i think they perfer it(dont use big pieces, the size of ur pinky nail is good!)
Fish killer 101

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

As many others have stated, fish does bite on yarn combinations. As to preventing fish from running downstream, one way of doing it is to keep side pressure on the fish.

younggun

• Old Timer

i've found that it works but change from angle to angle. Some fish that i fight like that get used to the pressure and seem to take it to their advantage, so keep changing sides/ or wheather the rod should be verticle or not!
Fish killer 101