Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flurocarbon leaders  (Read 4657 times)

sassyboy

• Mining for Chrome
Flurocarbon leaders
« on: October 10, 2006, 04:50:17 PM »

Hi All
Just wondering what any of you think of the new flurocarbon leaders. I tried some 10lb maxima at the weekend with my cp and constantly was losing fish,( chum and springs) due to the leader breaking at the hook, yet when I used regular 10lb maxima ultra green I was easily able to land six springs up to 30lbs (not one lost fish.)  I am not sold on it, I also hooked as many fish with regular ulta green as opposed to fluro. What are your experiences?

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Flurocarbon leaders
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 04:59:44 PM »

floroucarbon, is a stiffer line and I find it much thinner than an equivilant rate maxima.  It kinda is like trilene in terms of its thinness and has way less stretch.  Is it a good line?  Like anything it has a proper applications and I dont think spring fishing is a good one...you really dont need to finness fish those whites nor a chum so no point in sacrificing strength and stretch for reduced line visibility.

Stick to your maxima for springs and when really targetting coho in low clear water, use the FC then.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 05:54:44 PM »

floroucarbon, is a stiffer line and I find it much thinner than an equivilant rate maxima.  It kinda is like trilene in terms of its thinness and has way less stretch.  Is it a good line?  Like anything it has a proper applications and I dont think spring fishing is a good one...you really dont need to finness fish those whites nor a chum so no point in sacrificing strength and stretch for reduced line visibility.

Stick to your maxima for springs and when really targetting coho in low clear water, use the FC then.

Nail on the head!!!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 06:41:11 PM »

I recomend giving seagar a try. I was fishing beside Nick last winter and he's fighting a steelhead when he says to me " guess how heavy me leader is?" as he horses the fish in without any problems. Turns out he was using 8lb seagar.
Actions speak louder than words.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 06:55:05 PM »

Never used Maxima Flouro, but have had great luck with P-line flouro clear. 

fishfinder

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 08:44:50 PM »

Fluorocarbon line should be moistened with saliva or water before you tighten the knot as the line can be weakened during knot tying. Lubricating the line reduces friction as the knot gets tightened. Give it a try as it will lessen breakage of the knot at the hook. I’ve used Frog Hair, Seaguar, Drennan and Umpqua brands and they all work great.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 08:52:33 PM »

Fish Freak: which tackle shops carry P-line? Might give that one a try.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 09:51:36 PM »

I like pure florocarbon in clear water. Frog Hair is my favorite Seaguar is good too.  For Co-polymer I like Yo-Zuri Hybrid which I use as main line on my low profile baitcaster.

ColinB

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 10:22:52 AM »

Could be you need to change your knot.  If you aren't using a Grinner knot, give it a try.

Some top trout fly fishers over here [UK] use Grand Riverge at 14lb test, it doesn't seem to put the fish off.

Colin

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 10:33:46 AM »

One thing I consider when Im choosing leader is what species am I targeting, am I out to take a fish for the table and regulations on the system Im fishing.

If Im fishing to C&R or there is a good chance Im going to get into fish Im going to have to release (wild steelhead etc) I may choose a stronger leader to allow a quicker beaching and not tire a fish out too much that Im going to release.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

sassyboy

• Mining for Chrome
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 02:41:18 PM »

Thanx for all the responses, I think I might give the P line a try. Or I could just do the rain dance  ;D

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 08:33:35 PM »

I am really starting to wonder if line size really matters!!
On Sunday I switched to Maxima UG 12 lb leader from the 8 pound I was using.. the result
just as many fish hooked with a much higher to the beach % due to no leader breakage!!!
I honestly believe that line size makes no difference.. remember I was fishing in a pool that was absolutely clear and low with the sun shining brightly !!!!
I even hooked two coho on 12 lb :)
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 12:03:47 AM »

I am really starting to wonder if line size really matters!!
On Sunday I switched to Maxima UG 12 lb leader from the 8 pound I was using.. the result
just as many fish hooked with a much higher to the beach % due to no leader breakage!!!
I honestly believe that line size makes no difference.. remember I was fishing in a pool that was absolutely clear and low with the sun shining brightly !!!!
I even hooked two coho on 12 lb :)
TR

actually what you say make sense.  if you hook onto a 12 lb spring using 8 lb test chances are you'll lose that fish (some people will disagree) but let's face it, its just not the 12 lbs of spring you're fighting, but also the other 10 lbs of torque that fish is producing while struggling to get off. and how about the resistance of the water current?  do the math.

Compleat_Angler

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 01:45:21 PM »

i compleltly want to say im only stayin with flurocarbon the proof is in the pudding thinner non stretch better even then braided, snags didnt break me off as much, i landed a 38 lb spring and that just shows in a nice moving pool what that line does and believe it or not i was using only 10 Lb SEAGUAR i couldnt beleive landing a 20,25,and a 38 in  a day day period
so make sure you use flurocarbon its definitly the trick i tried it love it its a bit pricey but if you get amazing pictures of your fish hands down ;) :o

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 03:08:28 PM »

i compleltly want to say im only stayin with flurocarbon the proof is in the pudding thinner non stretch better even then braided, snags didnt break me off as much, i landed a 38 lb spring and that just shows in a nice moving pool what that line does and believe it or not i was using only 10 Lb SEAGUAR i couldnt beleive landing a 20,25,and a 38 in  a day day period
so make sure you use flurocarbon its definitly the trick i tried it love it its a bit pricey but if you get amazing pictures of your fish hands down ;) :o

you are the first person I have ever heard that says it is stronger than mono or braided, in my experience Flouro has always been very brittle

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!