Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spey Rod?  (Read 4694 times)

FLYRob

Spey Rod?
« on: September 03, 2006, 01:13:03 PM »

hello,

thinking to get into Spey casting :)
So need to get my first Doublehand Rod. In the mid. price sektion.

I am not shure wich kind would be good for an Newbe ( 14ft, #9) ???
I was Thinking of an G loomis ( greasd line " devron") or Loop( blue line) both about 500-600$

Has anyone experience with those Rods?
Or know somthing else?
Is there anything spezial I have to thing about ( Aktion, lenght, line class)

thanks !

speyghillie

Re: Spey Rod?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 03:00:45 PM »

Hi Flyrob,

Not sure where you are but I got a little fun show coming up with the best spey guys in the world coming to it, why not come along its free and and i got a couple of buddies there to help you out, got all styles covered, and these guys will be able to help you out.
 Gordon
Speyghillie.

steelheadjunkie

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 09:02:27 PM »

I would reccomend a Loop Yellow Line in the 14ft 9wt. This rod is a great value and is well lined with a Airflow short delta 8/9 or a Scientific Angler Short Head 8/9. If you are planning to use the rod for alot of winter steelheading with heavy sink tips the 550 grain Rio Skagit line along with a 5 foot cheater is also quite nice on this rod. The color of the Loop Yellow Line is a bit of an eye sore but it preforms at the level of rods twice its price. It's action is medium fast, very forgiving for the novice caster but contains the balls to effortlessly throw any of the mentioned lines straight to the backing knot for the expert. All in all a great rod for a novice but also a great rod to grow into as well.

FLYRob

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 09:09:53 PM »

Thank´s guys

SH-junkie nice that you say something about the Lines too. Far as I know that can make really the difference, right?(to have the right Line for your Rod)!
I will have a look at that.

I allready heard about your "Spay Clave" Gordon!
and I hope i still have a Spot in the Class on Monday ;D ( as you replied in your last E-mail)
I just thought, id would be better to get some equipment be for the lessons to get some practice. And to know what there are talking about ( not only in theory, from books). So I am not a total Dummy ;)

FlyRob

Stone

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 11:32:22 PM »

Here's a real handy chart that shows you what RIO spey line matches up with some popular spey rods...straight from the horse's mouth so to speak:

http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/speyrecs.asp

I like the softer spey rods myself...I have a 9140 VPS which I find is a great all around rod.  It has plenty of power to control large chrome chums and springs, and still makes summer run steelhead feel like out of control rockets.  I also have recently purchased a 13' 7/8 wt St. Croix Imperial that feels like it's going to be a blast in the smaller systems that I fish.

There are lots of great rods out there made by numerous manufacturers in every price range.  Lots of shops will offer loaners to let you try out a rod...but if you are a beginner, attending a spey clave will definitely start you on the right track.  There will be plenty of pros available for advice, you will get to try lots of different rods, and best of all it's free!

speyghillie

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 06:21:06 AM »

Hey Flyrob,
Your spot is booked for the Monday, getting time with the Three times world Champion and world record holder should help you on your way, only two spots left for the Monday.
On the Saturday and Sunday there will be guys showing all different styles, and the way the set up is, everyone will get time with the guys, to chat, get tips, ect.
Got a load of great raffle prizes, but holy has this been hard work to put together, well thats what i get for trying to organise a Clan Gathering 6,000 miles away. :o
Still should be good fun, and thats the most important thing.
See you there.
Gordon.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 03:18:17 PM »

I'am sure it will be great speyghillie even if your a teuchtar :P
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

speyghillie

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 02:55:44 AM »

Hi Sandy,
Not really a teuchtar, i am a Highlander 100% , with a name like Sandy and saying i'm a teuchtar you would'nt be a weegie would you, anyway no one will understand what we're talking about, but i'm sure your a weegie.  ;D
Gordon .

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 11:26:55 PM »

och I'm a Doonhamer via colintriave argyle.see you at the clave
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

speyghillie

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 08:14:35 AM »

Sandy thats just a southern weggie, the Speyclave should be good fun and i got some great raffle prizes that i will post soon on the link to the speyclave, only one place left for the lessons on the Monday.
For anybody just getting into Speycasting come along , take your rod and waders, when will be the next time you get casting tips from Scott Mackenzie  and its free, being a Highlander its hard to say that word. FREE  ;D