Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: looking at new rods  (Read 6677 times)

Hook Set

Re: looking at new rods
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2006, 10:02:42 PM »

thanks for the advice everyone... and mike the sport fisher what are bb eyes??

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 10:04:35 PM »

cabelas has a tourney trail rod, (past models have been made by G-Loomis) for 59.95. 
Take a trip across the border and you can find places that sell the new C4 6600 for $74.95, I just bought 2 6601's for 74.95 each. 

JL

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 10:07:09 PM »

I think he means if you bottom bounce with it...the eyes will wear out quickly

mikethesportsfisher

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 07:26:19 AM »

Yes, exactly what I meant.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 08:02:51 AM »

not if they are high quality guides like hardened alloys or ti-cr.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 10:23:52 AM »

most lower end rods don't come stock with higher end components.  But Denis makes a good point though...you arent just buying a rod, you also need to consider the components too.

Tell the clerk what you will be using the rod for ie fishing the fraser with braid, fishing the vedder with mono...whatever...he should then be able to tell you if that rod will manage that task well.

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2006, 10:52:43 AM »

The Trophy XL rods have good action; slow and quite sensitive (I use the med.light 11'6" for drift fishing)  but don't expect it too last very long.  I have gone through 2 of these rods in less than 2 years (the first was replaced under warranty) but now that replacement is on it's last legs and I'm in the market for a new rod.  The Trophy rods have a problem with the epoxy cracking by the guides which eventually makes them come loose the ceramic inserts have also popped out on both of my rods on more than one guide.  On my first day out with a Trophy XL Heavy action 12' 20-30 lb bar rod every guide had a crack in the epoxy.  The guides are still holding on the rod but the cracks keep getting worse.  I think my next drift fishing rod will be a TFO.  They have nice actions, come with a lifetime warranty and are resonably priced.

Eagleye, if you really like the trophy rods, but are having issues with the guides I reccomend buying a blank (they are around $60) and getting it wrapped up with whatever guides you want. Sure it will cost more then $105, but the blanks are really nice and for the price you cant go wrong. you can get a guide set and corks for pretty cheap and then labour on top of that would put you into the $250 price range (for a custom rod). If you like the blank then it is a viable option.

Young Gun, the trophy rods are great and that is a good price. However, I would seriously consider a Quantum Iron Reel. This past sockeye season we must have replaced close to 100 pawls and worm gears (this is what makes your stacker go back and forth) on the Abu garcia's. This is not covered under warranty and costs around $20 a time (for both pieces). The quantum iron is around the $165 range, but is made in Japan, has 4 bearings, a 6.2:1 gear ratio and is fully saltwater capable. For the extra $35 I would seriously consider that. Also, the worm gears on the quantum are really good quality and I only replace the odd pawl ($5) on these reels.

Hook Set

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 03:44:17 PM »

thanks I will look into that