Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chum Roe at Steveston?  (Read 1670 times)

Hung

• I'm a llama!
Chum Roe at Steveston?
« on: September 19, 2006, 10:27:15 PM »

Hello all,

I get a chance to visit Vancouver the first week of October, and I would like to buy some fresh roe at Steveston.  I'm dying for some Ikura!   :D  But I will only be there between Tuesday and Thursday.  Do you know if the boats are selling their stuff midweek, or only on weekend?  Also, is it too early for chum?  THANKS!

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Chum Roe at Steveston?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 06:36:36 AM »

Apperantly there are some big chum numbers showing up in the test nets now...I think in 2-3 weeks time there will be A LOT more chum around then there is now.  I have only ever been to Stevesten on the weekend...anyone here take a stroll down there mid week?

So Hung, how do you make Ikura?

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 09:03:21 AM »

How do I make Ikura?  I learned this from Rodney I think.  Do a search on this forum you may be able to find it.

Basically:  Start with fresh roe; dip in hot salt water for a few minutes to harden eggs and skein, making it easier to seperate them; carefully remove the skein (time consuming); set roe to dry on a drain for an hour or so; put in large bowl, fill with Sake, leave in fridge.  By the next day, the Sake is sucked into the roe and you have some delicious Ikura.  Yum ... I'm salivating just thinking about this. 

I think Rodney recipe called for putting some soy sauce in the bowl also, but I found it too salty.  You can always add soy sauce when you eat, but you can't take it out when it's too salty.

SO ... anyone knows if the Steveston market is open midweek, and if so, which day?  Thanks!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 10:19:11 AM »

The place to get the roe is right off the boats and the docks are open 365...BUT the boats follow the openings so you may find them in one weekend and gone the next or weekdays for that matter.  I guess its just a matter of lucky timing?!?