Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: c-pin verus baitcaster  (Read 5129 times)

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
c-pin verus baitcaster
« on: September 13, 2006, 01:37:13 PM »

I've heard the stories that once you go c-pin your not gonna to go back to baitcasting just wanted to know whats the big deal, i can see that there's less resistance with the c-pin and definitely harder as well cause it's a 1to1 with the pin versus the gear ratio of the baitcaster when reeling.I'm thinking of purchasing a c-pin but still undecided anyinsight on this would be great thanks :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: c-pin verus baitcaster
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 01:52:19 PM »

I think it's a personal preference. There are hard core pinners out there who will use only centerpins. As well there are baitcasters that will use nothing but baitcasters. Both will catch fish. I have both and I use both depending on the river I'm fishing, species targetted.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 02:26:54 PM »

also what's a good starter setup as i've seen the trophy rod and pin for $338 at Bob's sporting goods is this a decent price or should i keep looking.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 03:41:53 PM »

I watch my buddy with his Mcdonalds etc. standing on the shore for 35 minutes trying to get the bird nest out while i fish the whole run with my calcutta...but then I would rather use my fly rod then anything else..so there you go...here's a quote out of "Float fishing for Steelhead" that I think sums it up the best...

The center pin reel is by far the favorite of the serious British Columbia and Great Lakes steelheader. This may be because it casts more smoothly then other reels, or because the direct drive reels require more skill on the anglers part then a reel with gears. Or it may simply be a badge of competency that announces that this angler is a serious steelheader.

:D ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 04:11:26 PM by golfman65 »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 03:49:41 PM »

I started fishing a pin 3-4 years ago.  Now I can cast better with a pin than a biatcaster. I find the fight is unbelievable. I guess its preferences. They are also kinda addicting once you get one you need to get more ;D , Now im always searching, selling, trading, and buying new ones ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 06:35:48 PM »

I find I lose way less fish with a pin..... cause of the control you have over the reel.   :D

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 07:33:46 PM »

I bought a pin set up this year (Okuma reel, TFO 3106 rod).  I love it and am looking forward to my first Vedder coho on it.  Got into some early Cap coho in June and it was a blast!  I guess the soft tip of the CP rod, and simpler approach to fishing with one to one versus mechanical gear advantages makes this set up so appealing.
President Club S. C. & P.

JL

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 07:44:30 PM »

Love my Kingfisher on cohos....The line control during a drift with a pin is outstanding.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 08:03:07 PM »

I find I lose way less fish with a pin..... cause of the control you have over the reel.   :D

SAME, if the fish is small you dont have to worry about loosening your drag, and if the fish is large you dont have to worry about tighting it, I lost a few because of that, mainly jacks and large coho.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 02:19:13 AM »

thank you all for the great input :)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 01:06:50 PM »

Ya golf man, I have to agree, a lot of the whole CP rage is the snobbery in it...look how many guys are happy to tell you they fish a $600 reel   ;)  They never mentioned if they actually have caught a fish with it  ;D

weizen

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 01:16:30 PM »

Ya golf man, I have to agree, a lot of the whole CP rage is the snobbery in it...look how many guys are happy to tell you they fish a $600 reel   ;)  They never mentioned if they actually have caught a fish with it  ;D

LOL, Anyone that fishes with a $600 reel BETTER catch fish, otherwise they have more $$ than brains.  (IMHO)

James

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 02:12:38 PM »

I started salmon fishing useing a Bcaster , then my dad bought a really nice old Silex , only paid $100 for what was later to be found that it is a $600 reel .  :o

Anyway.... I have found that I didn't  really like the cpin that much . I have much more controll with my old Bantam 50 levelwind .

But.. I never really gave the cpin a chance . I didn't use it with a CPIN ROD either , I used a 10'6" drift rod . Not great for casting , it always would cast to the far right .  :-\

This season , I was hoping to get a nice CPIN rod ( noodle rod) and give that antique reel some attention .

I believe it is all preference , and each type of rod/reel with have different advantages over the other . Try both and see what you like .

c-pin

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 07:17:45 PM »

I am an avid Centrepin user.

However, I feel for "all round" fishing, a baitcaster is the ticket. I use a Centrepin for Drift Fishing, and I use a baitcaster for spoons and spinners. When I am in a new and unfamiliar river, I use a baitcaster as my "exploration gear", so I can switch from Drift to Metal with ease. It is not uncommon for me to sometimes bring 2 rods on familiar water; a C-Pin and a Baitcaster.

Sometimes I think there is some "snobbishness" from Centrepin users. But if I sense it, I just ignore it.

Go with what works for that particular water. Enjoy the experience.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 01:42:46 PM »

Baitcaster here.  Nothing against C-pins, just don't want to limit myself when I'm on the water.  I typically come ready to fish spinners, roe, wool, jigs,and with a variety of techniques.  I might try pinning some day, but for now, I'll stick with my baitcaster and fly rod.