Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Most Memorable Coho Moments  (Read 6484 times)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Most Memorable Coho Moments
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 04:24:57 PM »

My most memorable moment came on aug 19th, 2003, me and the roeman went to the river with our trout rods. We would cast out a little piece of dew worm and catch many trout and the odd rocky mountain white fish, We went walking down river and noticed all these splashes. We each tied on some croc spoons. And the first casts for us. BOOM BOOM, Double header, Landed two hatchery 6-8lb hos. Second cast Boom fish on, Action like this continued for30 mins. I think we got 8 to the beach but only two were hatchey. That was an awsome day
weeeeeeeeeow!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 04:38:02 PM »

I have alot of memorable stories, it would keep my busy writing for hours :)

Here is my biggest coho to date, my best guess it that it was between 18 and 20 lbs... The fish was so heavy I could not pick it up off the ground!

When this fish hit, the initial surge had us all believing it was hooked in the my friend... It tore up the water like I've never seen a coho do outside of Saltwater... Slashing around on the surface, tearing up the pool... It was unreal, and I could not believe it when I saw it did eat the fly...

I've had prettier fish, but this one by far gave the most hard core of a battle... And it was a hatchery fish too, but I threw it back.

Cheers,
Nicole

Hey Nicole - your fish is starting to show his fall tuxedo.  Otherwise, what a hog!  Nice work. You just put my "biggest" coho to shame!   :D  Mind you - IMHO, size does not matter!  All coho are beautiful fish - especially when they're chrome.  I'd take a five pound coho on the fly over a 20+ pound spring any day!  Thanks for posting!

PS - I know what you mean by having lots of "memorable" moments.  I think the bulk of us could write a book on the subject... ;D.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 04:49:09 PM »

My largest coho came two years ago when fishing on the Chilliwack River. After failing to produce at runs where we thought the fish were for few hours since first light, I finally hooked up to one around noon. At first glance when it poked its head out of the water, the fish seemed to be a spring. When the back end of the fish emerged and the absence of an adipose fin was seen, I was a pretty happy camper. ;D It weighed around 16lb without the guts.

My prettiest coho salmon grabbed my spoon on the first cast. ;) Although caught in late October, this fish was incredibly bright.

Usually on one of the fall Vedder outings each year, we'll always experience a multi-fish day. This happened to Luke and I when we fished a run that was packed with coho two seasons ago. We did not only connected with 10+ fish each, each fish was between 6 and 10lb. :D In the end we picked and chose for the fish we wanted to take home. ;) That Drennan took many drowns on that day.

Last year Carlo and I spent a wet afternoon fishing the tidal Fraser River. While Carlo stared at his motionless bar rod the whole time, I was busy spincasting my spoons and spinners. After landing a bull trout and losing a chum, this fast bullet grabbed onto my spoon and almost had me spooled.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 05:15:05 PM »

awsome pics thanks for sharing them
weeeeeeeeeow!

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 10:22:52 PM »

Sweet posts ill stick one up tommorow if i have time!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 11:06:41 PM »

THose are some FRESH ho's!! Wow...

I can't wait till this all gets underway, makes losing summer not so bad...

:D
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 07:42:32 PM »

Like the rest of us, there have been a few.

Nothing quite like seeing a coho nail a rolling cutplug all of 4 feet from the side on the boat and only 2 feet back.  Just wanted to see how it would roll - guess it worked pretty well and I certainly didn't see that coming.

Skipping BCIT morning class on the Harrison to cast spoons at this hot spot we had found.  Only two of us there and between us we landed 13 fish.  Absolutely amazing first light action.  Unfortunately, that hole is gone now and I have yet to find another, but I'm looking.

And the last one, A triple header at the mouth of Draney narrows at Rivers Inlet with 3 lines out at 8, 10 and 12 pulls behind the back of the boat.  Landed 2 of the 3 and each of them were 15 lbs.  Simply amazing.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 07:54:38 PM »

First coho i got in freshwater. High murky water on a pink dymara spoon fishing by myself. Released him quickly after the pic  .He was only around 5-6lbs but i wont forget him. ;D