Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do you jig?  (Read 1568 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Do you jig?
« on: September 08, 2006, 08:11:39 PM »

Anyone tried jiggy for coho's? Not sure if my rod is light enough for it..but as some of my flys are damn near the same..and as i've read quite a bit on how hot it's supposed to be was wondering if anyone on here uses it?

I know it works well for steelies but haven't heard anyone up here using too much..gotta do well for coho's too..

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Do you jig?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 08:34:06 PM »

After a fishing trip to north western Ontario (man, those walleye and pike are tasty) I brought back some gear they use back there. Yes alot of those weird things actually work here as well. I have caught pinks on those lead headed jigs with the whirrly blade on them at times, and caught coho in the Cap on jigs with feather streamers or rubber grub. I use the small black grubs in lakes all the time and even troll them on my sinking fly line, they work so good they should be banned. ;) I can't wait to go back to Ontario again as I had such a good time fishing the most goofy surface plugs and watching pike SLAM them right in front of you.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: Do you jig?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 11:40:14 PM »

I jig the vedder for pinks exclusively :P ionno why but they cant resist those damn things! if had many days where im fishing a run with 5 different people and they are getting jack all and im getting a fish every second or third casts. They dont seem to work for coho or springs for me. :(
[