Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder bow's..  (Read 4240 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Vedder bow's..
« on: September 01, 2006, 03:56:03 PM »

So a week ago yesterday i was fly fishing the lower vedder with a bud. I wrote up a quick report as i caught a salmon smolt and a sturdy 12-14" bow...scrappy little guy and both were realized fast and in the water....

So, I'm gabbing to the guys at Reaction and the angel at M&J and they told me the bow's are resident to the Vedder and most likely steelhead smolts...If this is true how the heck can you tell??? I saw no difference between it and a normal bow with the exception of bigger shoulders you'd expect on a river fish....

On the one hand it's a blast to catch them but on the other I don't want to be harming any steelies that I might have the chance of never catching on the fly during the winter run :-[

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
Re: Vedder bow's..
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 04:18:15 PM »

So a week ago yesterday i was fly fishing the lower vedder with a bud. I wrote up a quick report as i caught a salmon smolt and a sturdy 12-14" bow...scrappy little guy and both were realized fast and in the water....

So, I'm gabbing to the guys at Reaction and the angel at M&J and they told me the bow's are resident to the Vedder and most likely steelhead smolts...If this is true how the heck can you tell??? I saw no difference between it and a normal bow with the exception of bigger shoulders you'd expect on a river fish....

On the one hand it's a blast to catch them but on the other I don't want to be harming any steelies that I might have the chance of never catching on the fly during the winter run :-[

Good question Golfman, and one currently being asked and explored by many.

While most 'rainbow smolts' heading to the ocean will have left by now, Im certain that a percentage remain behind and may leave later in the season or even next year as sometimes they will stay in the system an extra year. Others will never leave and become residents.

You cant tell the difference just by looking at them, unless they are much older and obviously been residents that is.

Were they wild or hatchery out of curiosity?

My thought on it is to leave them be best as possible and let them do what they will if we want to see as many steelhead return. A concern is that these smolts will remain behind and provide competition in the river etc and that is why they have an opening for them. My thought is that it doesnt matter. The river has a carrying capacity. If there's room, they'll stay and not hurt/alter anything. If not enough 'room' they wont survive. It's not like these are introduced species to whom you cannot expect to fit in the ecological niche without damaging or altering it. Some will say since a large portion are from the hatchery they are close to introduced, but that is a debate for the yay or nay to hatcheries thread.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 06:15:13 PM »

Good question Golfman, and one currently being asked and explored by many.

While most 'rainbow smolts' heading to the ocean will have left by now, Im certain that a percentage remain behind and may leave later in the season or even next year as sometimes they will stay in the system an extra year. Others will never leave and become residents.

You cant tell the difference just by looking at them, unless they are much older and obviously been residents that is.

Were they wild or hatchery out of curiosity?

My thought on it is to leave them be best as possible and let them do what they will if we want to see as many steelhead return. A concern is that these smolts will remain behind and provide competition in the river etc and that is why they have an opening for them. My thought is that it doesnt matter. The river has a carrying capacity. If there's room, they'll stay and not hurt/alter anything. If not enough 'room' they wont survive. It's not like these are introduced species to whom you cannot expect to fit in the ecological niche without damaging or altering it. Some will say since a large portion are from the hatchery they are close to introduced, but that is a debate for the yay or nay to hatcheries thread.

it was a wild, nothing clipped but I pretty much got him on his way as soon as i could so didn't look that hard...Personally I think I've caught my first salmon AND steelhead on the fly this year ;D At least that's what i'm telling everyone!!!

mrking

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 09:13:58 PM »

Not an expert, but jeepers, a rainbow is a rainbow is a steelhead. There is no difference and correct me if I am wrong, but a rainbow becomes a steelhead as soon as it spends time in the chuck. If it never made it to the pacific I'd say it was just a resident rainbow. Beauties, those things. :)

Isn't the only difference in the fisherman's belief?

AND I am not saying this as a know it all or arrogantly. Just as an observation really.

I trust there is someone more on top of this than me.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 09:15:50 PM by mrking »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 09:24:40 PM »

Not an expert, but jeepers, a rainbow is a rainbow is a steelhead. There is no difference and correct me if I am wrong, but a rainbow becomes a steelhead as soon as it spends time in the chuck. If it never made it to the pacific I'd say it was just a resident rainbow. Beauties, those things. :)

AND I am not saying this as a know it all or arrogantly. Just as an observation really.

Damn..."POP"...there goes my ballon....oh well, can only go up from here.. :'(

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 09:27:35 PM »

I've caught pike minnows I thought were rainbows. ;), but were just returning from the ocean. Usually some nice size ones in the Vedder right now. I'm surprised you didn't get a dolly as well.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 10:42:45 PM »

I've caught pike minnows I thought were rainbows. ;), but were just returning from the ocean. Usually some nice size ones in the Vedder right now. I'm surprised you didn't get a dolly as well.

i was wondering about dollies as well...I was dry flying it or rather semi dry flying with an unweighted wooly worm under the overhangs....would be interesting to nymph an egg pattern and see if the dollies would take..

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 12:10:56 AM »

Probably a small silver or gold minnow imitation and sinking tip. Those buggy eyed flies with the plastic bodies in mylar would do as well.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 08:04:14 AM »

Technically speaking, if a rainbow has unobstructed passage to saltwater, it could smolt and leave at any time.  Therefore, most fisheries biologists, including myself, consider rainbows in river systems to be steelhead. 

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 12:02:10 PM »

Technically speaking, if a rainbow has unobstructed passage to saltwater, it could smolt and leave at any time.  Therefore, most fisheries biologists, including myself, consider rainbows in river systems to be steelhead. 

YES... ;D I understand now both points of view...now all i have to do is dublicate it this winter with one that weights.....say, about 12 more pounds and I'll be a happy camper..

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 12:34:28 PM »

Yes they are beauties and I would have to agree with you on that statement, mind you I am not a biologist either!!  Here is a pic of a resident Bow from last year.  The are one hell of a good looking fish!! :)

Mind you it isn't the best pic!! ::) ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 02:19:17 PM »

THAT is a nice fish...amazing the shoulders on river versus lake fish

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 04:28:54 PM »

Resident from last july in the upper river.

fishherron

• DSC00434-001
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 07:38:03 PM »

Yes they are beauties and I would have to agree with you on that statement, mind you I am not a biologist either!!  Here is a pic of a resident Bow from last year.  The are one hell of a good looking fish!! :)

Mind you it isn't the best pic!! ::) ;D
Years ago, a long time before they put in the hatchery. We got rainbows like that on worms. I know I was on summer holidays so it would be in july or Aug. A great fish for us when we were kids. Unknown to us then, we probley did.nt do the speacies any good. But then, who knew what was in store down the road.
Fish for all your worth but, remember what the fish are worth.