Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: That coho itch!  (Read 11234 times)

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: That coho itch!
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2006, 09:34:18 AM »

Ill use both fly and gear, depending on where Im fishing and what the conditions have in store.  Ive been flyfishing over 20 years now and though it makes up 80% of my fishing, I love throwing spoons at them too...there are lots of places that I fish ccoho where it is just too cramped to flyfish and too steep and slippery to wade, and yes, my roll cast is just fine ;) It really just depends on casting space and what the water is like.

James

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2006, 11:07:39 AM »

I wish i could get into Fly fishing for salmon , I just don't have the extra cash around to buy a heavier setup ( currently only have a 5wt) . Maybe next year .  :-\

Do you fly Fishermen find it hard to find a run of water on the veddar/chilliwack ?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »

nope

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2006, 12:15:10 PM »

A couple years ago around this time, Me and my brother were trout fishing the lower vedder (canal), and saw in the distance fish rising so we went over and took a look . We then tied blue fox spinners on, and within 30 mins we landed 6 coho. 4 wild and 2 hatch. That was a sweet day
weeeeeeeeeow!

James

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2006, 12:37:29 PM »

Timing is a huge part of it for sure . Especially when a run is going to be small , as expected this season . Less fish means a short season . And if they are all early than usuall arivals , then lots could be missed .

Makes me wish i lived closer to the river , just so I can be there every other day to see what has moved in  .

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2006, 01:49:44 PM »

Timing is a huge part of it for sure . Especially when a run is going to be small , as expected this season . Less fish means a short season . And if they are all early than usuall arivals , then lots could be missed .

Makes me wish i lived closer to the river , just so I can be there every other day to see what has moved in  .
What makes you say the run is gona be small?
[

James

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2006, 01:55:02 PM »

Just a hunch , I have no facts  really , just " talk" I guess .

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2006, 02:38:08 PM »

Coho in the chuck pretty much everywhere this year has been very weak. Hopefully they are just late......