Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a New Rod.  (Read 9637 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Looking for a New Rod.
« on: August 20, 2006, 01:27:54 PM »

Since Coho season is coming up on us here in a bit, I think that I may be in the market for a Coho/Steelhead Rod.  Something a bit lighter than my 3113.  Maybe like a 2106 or something along those lines.  Any suggestions??  I was thinking about a Redington, or perhpas a lighter Loomis. ;) :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Looking for a New Rod.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 01:34:26 PM »

I have a Sage 2106 and it's a beauty but I don't think Sage make that model anymore. I would go with a Sage.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 01:37:56 PM »

I have a Sage 2106 and it's a beauty but I don't think Sage make that model anymore. I would go with a Sage.
Well, yes that would be the rod of choice, but I don't have $400 to spend.  I only have between $200-$250.  Isn't Redington made by Sage and have the same warrenty?? :)

St Croix, Fenwick, I know there are more that I'm not thinking of at the moment. ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 02:51:29 PM by Big Steel »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 03:54:17 PM »

Yes redington is made by sage and the 2106 is almost $500. I will go to my shop tomorrow and check with Randy on a price for you.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 04:00:11 PM »

I have a lamiglass certified pro. perfect coho steelhead rod, I used it maybe 5 times, the tip broke when i grabbed it to get a big boot spring off, sent it back to lamiglass and they build me a new one...so at least half the rod is new...My bud has it up in Delta as i was putting it and my calcutta conquest i used on it up for sale, Would let you have it for a very good price, cost retail is 280 u.s. for it, PM me if interested..

as a P.S. i'm coming back to the dark side a little from the fly, I am picking up a sage 2106 or 3106 for steelhead season..(can't go another year flogging the water with my fly only..want to actually catch something this time :-[) Up at berrys they looking at 579 for these rods, found one here in states for a better price,,,damn thing is nearly as much as my wintston b11x.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 04:04:19 PM by golfman65 »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 04:03:23 PM »

Maybe a Stryker Rainshadow IST 1263F? I've been using mine for three seasons now and absolutely love it for coho, steelhead, bull trout and the odd chum and chinook. It is light, moderate action, designed mainly for coho and steelhead, can handle the odd chinook but that's pushing it a bit. Used to be Stryker 2106, but the model name changed this year. Russ, the builder, resides in Surrey and you can get him to put on your chosen guides and other components on the rod.

Here is the rod in action with a coho. ;D

Closeup of the rod. Mine is a matte black blank with blue threads and silver guides with blue insert.

Around $300, depending on the components you put on it.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 05:08:12 PM »

a 3106 lb sage is a really nice coho rod if you can find one .

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 05:25:14 PM »

a 3106 lb sage is a really nice coho rod if you can find one .

I already have the Sage 3113!!  I want a lighter rod!! ;D

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 05:29:22 PM »

st.criox salmon and steelhead rod, me and dad own three in total ( a salmon rod for each of us and a steelhead rod for him) good price to! Or a fenwick HMX own 2 of those, we have alot of rods and reels!
Fish killer 101

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 05:30:04 PM »

Steel lost 3 springs today on the fraser >:( all above 15lbs! >:(
Fish killer 101

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 09:14:56 AM »

Rainshadow. Better then gloomis. better then sage.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 07:42:41 PM »

BS,

Does the length matter?  Does the rod have to be at least 10'6"?  I agree with a Lamiglas and would take one over a Loomis(sorry Loomis fans!)  but I have a couple 9'6" Sages(old models) that I use for coho and sometimes steelies and they are feather light with tons of back bone.  I mainly use them now for chucking spoons and spinners.  Rodney's right though......I'd look into Rainshadow, a little pricer than the cheapies but the quality is there.

PS  For those who think that a rod is a rod, you've never really enjoyed fishing. Oh....and Sage rules!!!!!!! ;D
Yes Sage does rule, I love mine. 
Anyhow, I would like one around the 10'6 mark, as all the other rods I own are 11 plus.  I would like something in the $200-$250 range.  I checked out a Lamiglass today, very nice rod.  Think it might be slightly lighter than what I was looking for.  Rated for 6-10 lb.  Was thinking about the 8-12lb mark.  Rainshadow and Stryker are a couple that I want to look at as well, but they may be a bit more than I am willing to pay at the moment. I am not really in a hurry, so I will take my time looking!!  ;)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 10:14:38 PM »

The Lamiglas rod one step up from what you looked it would probably be what you are looking for.  It is rated at 8-12.  Its one of the Certified Pro Dave Vedder Series 10'6" models.  That was my go to rod for Vedder coho until I got my sage 2106 CT. The rod was perfectly balanced with my calcutta 250 and I was able to land the occassional spring in the lower vedder.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 10:40:55 PM »

I forgot to include Russ' contact info from Stryker Rods in the last post:

http://www.rodandreel.ca

Email: russ@rodandreel.ca
Toll Free: 1-877-585-6958
Phone/Fax: 604-585-6958

avid angler

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 08:14:39 AM »

go with lamiglass. good quality, lifetime warranty and you dont have to dish out 400-500 bucks. i have a 10'6 lamiglass certified pro in centerpin and its great. about the same weight as a 2106