Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If you cant beat em join em?  (Read 2791 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
If you cant beat em join em?
« on: August 21, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »

I have been against it ever since I learned 5 years ago that they weren't biting. Sometimes I am almost ready to give in and say " If you cant beat em join em "

Has anyone else that is an anti-flosser felt this way? One side of me says its unethical and should not be done at any time. Another side says well its a meat fishery and if you think of it that way and not as a sport than it isn't really wrong.

I know their are allot of topics on this but I am just at a stage where I am now undecided. I love sockeye and I know I have said in the past its cheaper in the store after you figure in all the costs but atleast if I caught them myself I would be getting out of the house. If I car pooled with someone that would cut the gas bill in half as well. Dilemma Dilemma

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
Re: If you cant beat em join em?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 02:55:58 PM »

Another side says well its a meat fishery and if you think of it that way and not as a sport than it isn't really wrong.

But it's not considered just a meat fishery or 'harvest' now is it. Look at all the guys who snag all the other systems after they learned how to do it on sockeye. Look at the reasons guys give to snag. You can take those reasons to ANY river and to ANY species.

Look at the dozens upon dozens of flossing 'fishing reports' on this site. If this is just a meat fishery, what's there to report and WHY post a picture?

To me, this shows that this flossing is almost considered a sport if not more than people admit or say. The longer it goes, the more it will spread. Mark my words. It happens already and it's increasing.

While the choice is yours, and I know you're up-to-date on all the information, Id suggest from my viewpoint and the knowledge that you know this flossing ISNT restricted to the Fraser during sockeye that if you start to floss that you may contribute by being just one more guy doing it.

If you're not part of the solution (making a stand against snagging) then you're part of the problem (encouraging its spread and acceptabilty).

My opinion. I hope you make your own decision.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 03:27:38 PM »

I have been against it ever since I learned 5 years ago that they weren't biting. Sometimes I am almost ready to give in and say " If you cant beat em join em "

Has anyone else that is an anti-flosser felt this way? One side of me says its unethical and should not be done at any time. Another side says well its a meat fishery and if you think of it that way and not as a sport than it isn't really wrong.

I know their are allot of topics on this but I am just at a stage where I am now undecided. I love sockeye and I know I have said in the past its cheaper in the store after you figure in all the costs but atleast if I caught them myself I would be getting out of the house. If I car pooled with someone that would cut the gas bill in half as well. Dilemma Dilemma
You know what my answer to this is. ;D ;D Stick to bar fishing, catch a nice 20 pound chinook that is almost equal to 4 sockeye and in my mind is better eating than a sockeye but then I have not eaten one in over 5 years so maybe I have forgotten how they taste. ;D ;D

One day I believe you will see this sockeye activity closed on the Fraser River once again, due to several reasons, one being the number of growing anglers that the system will have a hard time supporting in the not to distant future. As well as I and a few others have posted somewhere, I believe on Fish BC that the impact of this flossing is now putting severe pressure on chinook stocks. It has and is raising concerns with FOC.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 03:44:08 PM »

You Gadsdens are very convincing  ;) A man has to stick to his principles and what he believes in for the greater good. Thanks for reminding me why I was against it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 04:58:53 PM »

Gentlemen, I'm going to lock this one up and redirect you guys to another existing topic for further comments:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=11538.0

There are too many similar topics at once. :)