Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Public Relations 101  (Read 1300 times)

Nostro

Public Relations 101
« on: August 13, 2006, 09:39:38 PM »

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
I am fully aware of the right of the FN to fish in the Fraser River.
I am sure that the nets I have observed all week-end drifting along Peg Leg were legal, after all the CO's were out observing and so were the RCMP.
But, for goodness sake, if the FN want to gain some support, sympathy and friends from the rest of us Canadians, why do they have to run 2 nets all week-end, down along one of the most popular bars in the Lower Mainland?
Is it necessary to rub our noses to this extent to the rights they have and we don't? The Fraser is a very big river. The same fish could be caught anywhere else, out sight of all us poor ba__tards fishing with one lousy barbless hook on a single line.
I don't want a boat-ful of sockeye, like they have. I would be very happy with 2.
I spent 2 days at Peg Leg. I saw 3 fish caught on Saturday and 2 today. None were mine. If this is a HUGE run, where are the fish? I could see 8-10 fish on every drift in each of the 2 FN boats working this part of the river. Every FN I spoke to, and I do know some, told me that they are having one of the best sockeye runs this year. That their nets are full every time. They can't understand why the rest of us are not getting them. Well, perhaps, because their nets are full every time?
Diplomacy! It appears to be an unknown concept to the FN. It is little wonder that there is such animosity between them and us. Because, there are 2 classes of people in this country, and not just one, Canadians. But, I'm dreaming, I guess. Dreaming is one way to relieve frustration and anger.
Never look a fish in the eye.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Public Relations 101
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 10:01:57 PM »

With economic opportunities coming on stream in some area's for some FN bands the fishing pressure will increase near these bars. If problems arise between the two sectors you will see the recreational sockeye closed.

This may be okay as by some reports coming in on this forum some have got their year supply already.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 12:56:40 AM »

I for one hates DFO's tendency to ignore the rights of recreational fishermen. It seems the FN is their master they appease at every turn. They have never done anything for us and yet they take a big bite for our licenses and our taxes which support their bureaucrasy. How many times you notice that they open up the sockeye fishery to us for weekend, and then have the FN boats drift netting the river for days before our opening? Many fishers spend tons of money on gears, gas, & license fees, only to find out that their weekend fishery ruined by all those FN nets conveniently allowed and timed perfectly by DFO to reduce our catch opportunity for weekends.  >:(  If there is a small school of fish, it most likely is because FN nets are being hauled out in between sets.  Can't they even have the conscience to think for those thousands of weekend fishermen and give some thought to help them out too, instead of just serving their FN master. May be I am dreaming, but it is really not fair out there.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 01:01:01 AM by funfish »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 07:12:01 AM »

As we fished peg this weekend, my dad asked me we ever had this much trouble getting four socs at the scale bar? 

Later that day we drove down to island 22 and saw a 5 nets in the water.  I then saw a map from google earth and it hit me:  Peg leg actually represents at best 50% of the water in the fraser, half if not more branches off at the top of peg leg and runs down the other side of that island.  In, fact if you look at the google map, I would guess closer to 65% of the river goes down the backside of that island.  That said if you are fishing peg leg, lets assume that if 35% of the water runs down peg, then 35% of the fish run up it!  Add in a a half dozen native nets below the island and one ore two drift nets too and its not surprising to see so few fish.

I think I am going to give peg leg a rest and try and find a spot on the main stem instead of what is more of a side channel.