Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fisheries/ Parks career Options ... I need advice.  (Read 1472 times)

James

Fisheries/ Parks career Options ... I need advice.
« on: August 11, 2006, 11:41:01 AM »

I am 23yrs old , male , love outdoors and fishing . I am not too paticular about large boats though :-[
So ... I am facing the fact that i have to start over , as far as my career path is concerned . Physical health issues have forced me into this decision .

I would like to hear from anyone , about there experiences or knowledge about , Parks and Recreation or Fisheries careers .
How do you find these jobs ?
What training is expected or needed ?
do you have full time , part time or seasonal work ?
Which jobs are physically demanding ? ( lifting over 25lbs or constant bending )

I am just looking for any feedback at all , since career counsellors don't seem to give me anything but a pamphlet to read  >:( and they don't help .

Thanks so much .

DBM

Re: Fisheries/ Parks career Options ... I need advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 03:36:47 PM »

James

I went to a small natural resources college in Ontario and can tell you that in alot of cases taking fisheries related courses, and especially parks and recreation courses is not the way to go if you want to make fair money.  Most folks take this kind of schooling (including myself) because they love the work, the pay is typically poor.

That said, I think your best bet is to contact DFO and ask them what you should do if you're interested in being a fisheries officer.  Alot of the other fisheries work is labour intensive, so it may not be something you're suited for.

James

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 10:41:43 PM »

ok thanks . I will keep looking into it . DFO , that has come to mind a few times , but I don't think i would pass the "physical". It is not like just being a security guard .

Any other idea's guys/gals ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 12:38:29 AM »

James, take a look at this website:

http://www.bcconservationcorps.ca/index.html

I have a few other ones as well but this one is pretty new and updated with lots of opportunities that you are looking for.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 10:41:29 PM »

:o thats a very good link to the website rod. seems to be a good starting point ;D

James

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 11:48:37 PM »

thanks , i look into that .