Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boating on the Fraser  (Read 1870 times)

chum boy

Boating on the Fraser
« on: July 30, 2006, 12:39:33 PM »

Hi I've got a 14' aluminum boat with a 15 horse outboard, is this adequate for getting to most of the bars on the Fraser? How about for Sturgeon fishing? What are most of you guys using? Thanks for any info!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Boating on the Fraser
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 12:52:19 PM »

Plenty good enough for getting around the Fraser as for many years most of us used 12 footers with a 9.8. If you had a 14 footer you were driving a Cadillac in those days. ;D This was before the jet boat rage of course.

If not familar with the Fraser River a sounder will be  worth the investment. For sturgeon fishing I suppose it will be ok if you not hook one as big as your boat. ;D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 05:01:05 PM »

We use a 14 foot 20 horse for navigating the fraser and it does find.  The biggest problem is watching out for sandbars as they can damage up your prop.
weeeeeeeeeow!

mess

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 10:28:46 PM »

If I take my 12' alum with a 9.9 out on the fraser from island 22 any sugggestion on where to go.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 10:38:48 PM »

Lots of bars up or downstream within a mile each way. Just watch where the other anglers are fishing and you should easily find room to fish but it will get crowded if sockeye open.

Watch out for the mouth of the Harrison as it can get a little tricky for a small boat if you do not have too much experience boating the Fraser.

mess

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 10:53:22 PM »

Thanks Chris