Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Filleting your catch by the river  (Read 2528 times)

Nostro

Filleting your catch by the river
« on: July 25, 2006, 01:39:01 PM »

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/KeyPoints/packaging_e.htm

Packaging Your Salmon
When packaging your catch, if a maximum size limit applies, the head and tail must remain attached until you prepare and consume your catch, arrive at your ordinary residence, or deliver your catch to a registered processing facility.
The head of your salmon can be removed only if the length with the head off is equal to or greater than the minimum legal size of that species for the waters in which it was caught. Leave the tail attached so the species can be determined. For example, if a chinook salmon is caught where the minimum size limit is 62 cm and it is filleted and packaged for transport, one of the fillets must have the tail attached and be at least 62 cm long. If necessary the fillet can be cut into two pieces; the tail must remain attached to one of the pieces. The fillets should be placed side by side in one bag making it obvious that they represent one fish, and the bag must be labeled with:
a.   the salmon species - e.g., "one chinook"
b.   the number of fillets - "two fillets"
c.   the number of pieces - "four pieces"
d.   the angler’s name and fishing licence number.

The above is an excerpt from the DFO link referenced above.
I think this is a very important piece of information that most fishers are not aware of. By filleting your catch at your fishing location, as described above, you can leave these very important nutrients in the river and not add rotten fish to land fills. It is also a lot more convenient to harvest the desired portions and to carry out only the fillets and the tail.
Please do not leave any fish guts or fish parts on shore. It attracts scavengers, like bears, and it stinks up the shore. Throw all fish parts as far into the river as you can so the recycling of the nutrients starts immediately.
Be careful, though, with these regulations. Be sure you read and understand them before you fillet any fish streamside.
Never look a fish in the eye.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Filleting your catch by the river
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »

By filleting your catch at your fishing location, as described above, you can leave these very important nutrients in the river and not add rotten fish to land fills.
There's something more to this can't think of it right now :-\-maybe Rod will chime in.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 06:01:34 PM »

I should have read it before i type the original message.. What ever Nostro said it 100% correct. Thats the same guide line we follow at the fishing lodge.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:26:30 PM by Steelhead King »

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 06:10:46 PM »

Excellent point Nostro. Very Important for food sources in the river. In Washington we're taking in truck loads and dumping um back in to help replentish the systems.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 12:17:24 AM »

Good post Nostro.  Many times I've been given dirty looks or told I was breaking the rules when filleting my fish.  There are many reasons to fillet your catch before freezing/packing it out and the best place to do this is on the river.  I also like to descale/deslime my river caught fish before freezing and the best place to do this is by the river so that you don't attract unwanted scavengers to your campsite or home.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 09:00:05 AM »

A few years back I filleted a coho about 2 minutes after catching it, and the fillet scrunched up into a fat ball. So don't get too hasty. I wanted to leave everything in the ocean for the other sea life.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 09:17:15 AM »

??? ??? ???

Nostro

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 08:06:39 AM »

"The head of your salmon can be removed only if the length with the head off is equal to or greater than the minimum legal size of that species for the waters in which it was caught. Leave the tail attached so the species can be determined. "
Never look a fish in the eye.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 03:36:37 PM »

"The head of your salmon can be removed only if the length with the head off is equal to or greater than the minimum legal size of that species for the waters in which it was caught. Leave the tail attached so the species can be determined. "

I hope that DFO can tell the difference between chinook and other salmon. ;)