Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder July 18th  (Read 5445 times)

fishinmansam

Vedder July 18th
« on: July 19, 2006, 12:15:35 AM »

hit the vedder today.. started at Allison pools were i used a vibrax spinner, i hit 2 springs and didn't manage to land them, i worked upstream by the big rock outcrop were no one else was for a while and got 1 springs in the faster water but did no manage to land him. if u stare down into the deepest part of the rock outcrop at Allison you can actually see the springs. after no more luck we headed down to the usual Keith Wilson bridge. it was weird i head a guy yelling HOLY cupcakes on top of the bridge so i go up there and see what the commotion is. i look down into the exact middle of the to bridge structures and there they are. he said he counted 15 but i count 12 huge chrome springs. well i go down about 100 yard downstream to a good looking spot and i see a MASSIVE Spring just pound the water 3 times in the same spot, i cast out above it and let it float down nicely. my bobber would once and a while dip but no fish on. i try more casts in the faster water, this time i add one single egg to the spinner. WHAM. FISH ON, runs over into the trees and i couldn't manage to get the fish out so i try to see Wat's going on happens to Be the fish is gone and I'm snagged on a bush, finally get everything back and sharpen my hook. well anyother man under the bridge who had to leave goes and i take his spot beside one other guy. 1st couple of casts with the spinner still on from the morning i hooked a small sockeye and realease him gently back into the water. everyone knew the springs were right there, casting right by them. no one gets anything. i choose to fish the deeper water were i saw nothing before. so my float is just floating nicely on the angle i like it at and it stops. i reel in and i know this time its a fish  because my line was moving so i play him for no time really and loose him. after seeing this people start fishing the water were i was. it got darker and darker  no one was getting anything every though they were jumping and there were right in front of our eyes. well one more guy shows up to the crowd. ooh we look who we got ourselves know. THE DENTIST comming down to check our freaking teeth. well were all just casting and one guys bobber goes down fast he reals in and says FISH ON, only it being the bb'ers line attached to his.... well he gets it off and hes like next time ill cut it. so he moves up across from were I'm casting. my float goes down fast also, guess whats on the end of my line. dentists Larry's FLOSS. man i felt like cutting it, but i decided to actuality throw it into a snag area because i didn't want to start a commotion. well he gets the snag off and moves FAR down stream. for the rest of the night, NO action on the rods, the springs were moving through in good numbers but no takes, they would smack the water(probably sea-lice) but thats it. Well thats my report. Also the vedder is the best Ive seen it at this time of year. they cleared out the snag areas and log jams in the bad areas and the river is looking very nice. in a few weeks the chinook should just be pilled in there(I HOPE). I heard of one fish taken at KWB on red and black wool early in the morning, people cleaning out ranger and a few being taken at lickman, other than that nothing. I was using a dink float with 1.5 inches of thin pencil lead, 3 feet leader(adjustable float for the deep holes and a vabrax spinner for most the day. i also tryed wool, ghost shrimp and pro cured roe but no takes.

well boys, good fishing to you all, tight lines and hope the vedder gets better very soon so we can go HOOK UP! FISH ON!

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder July 18th
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 12:24:02 AM »

Glad to finally hear fish being hooked.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 12:55:40 AM »

Fished from 4:30-9, form peach to lickman and there was no sign of spring. Everyone else got skunked as well. One boy with a worm and bobber got a ton of trout.
The Bigger The Better!

drift

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 09:23:44 AM »

Cool report,did I read it right?You were using a bobber with a spinner?Never heard of that setup before.Anymore details,leader line,weight,etc?Might like to try it.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 11:09:23 AM »

how big are the trout that are being caught  ??? ??? ??? and what are they using ?

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 11:13:33 AM »

no different than using a colorado and float

drift

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 11:51:12 AM »

no different than using a colorado and float
]

Never seen it done,I know the blades are light so do you use split shot somewhere,sorry for the hijack.

Never mind,I remembered the old search button. :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 01:24:26 PM by drift »

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 11:57:15 AM »

thanks for the report, looking good for the coming weeks!

fishinmansam

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 03:38:55 PM »

yeah the spinner under the float works like a charm. the spinner just sinks straight down from the float so you can see every hook-up with a fish. i didn't have one hold up(snag) the whole day except for one branch at the KWB and lost my roe(NO BIG DEAL I HAVE A TUB FULL OF THAT STUFF). and yeah i cant wait for the fishing to pick up on the vedder.. but please guys, USE A FLOAT! tight lines.

fishinmansam

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 03:58:07 PM »

i cant stand to watch those people that set the hook everybite. let me make a point. Ive been out on the vedder in the summer time at great fishing holes were the fish are there and thick. lets say there were 100 fishers on the river that day. 2 out of 100 of them DONT flick there rods back every time there bobber dips down. guess who leaves with the fish.. They do. Ive experienced it before and seen it happen in clear water. the chinnook will set the hook. everytime(unless snagged) the chinnook will check it out(*nibble at it) and then if there interested they will strike it hard. on the first check when people try to set the hook the chinnook gets spooked because it moved rapidly. so nest time try this. when you float goes down let it keep floating. then tell me how your day went. tight lines.

fishinmansam

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 05:42:50 PM »

yeah there moving through in groups from 10 to 20 daily but they are not biting at all not even in the evening or morning?

fishinmansam

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 05:52:03 PM »

yeah thats probably it!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 05:52:39 PM »

I think that the fish are shell shocked as soon as they hit that part of the river, all those people ripping away at their lines setting the hook everytime their line touches the bottom!!!  if you want to catch a fish you will have better luck getting away from the rippers and headin midstream I would think

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 08:54:52 PM »

fishinmansam...I fished the allison yesterday...as I walked down the steep trail a young guy was fishing at the base of it...I advised him to watch out for any falling rocks as my dad and I decended the trail....was that you at the base of the cliff?  The guy there said he has 2 on as well?!?

Much like everyone else here, I have seen little action lately.  A party of 3 I was in hit something like 9 springs in 2 hrs last wednesday...my dad and I fish the upper end from 4-9 last night and then again from 430-930 this morning and he hit nothing...all the same holes, even the exact same bag of roe that slayed em last week....we couldnt turn a bite for the life of us. 

buck

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 09:21:50 PM »

Gooey
Nine springs in the hatchery yesterday and fish holding in the Limits Hole. Counted another dozen in the first holding water above Slesse Creek.( Hatchery Pool )