Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon Setup.  (Read 4684 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Sturgeon Setup.
« on: July 16, 2006, 12:48:38 AM »

Going to buy a sturgeon setup for my dads birthday this weekend, and planning to spend more then i want to, only because i know ill be using it more.  ;D Does anyone know of any good packages, or what is the best reel/rod for the price? Iv never sturgeon fished before, and Im planning to fish from a boat when I do get out. I want to get a good setup which is not to pricey, but not to cheap that i cant handle any monsters I might run into! ;) Well any advice upon experience would be nice, thanks.
The Bigger The Better!

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Re: Sturgeon Setup.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 08:41:44 AM »

Penn 320  with 80 lb tuff line and a 7' Shimano Talora one piece rod this will land you any Sturgie out there and won't break the bank either. I use this as my higher end Sturgie set up and have landed 8 footers on it no problems purchased the rod at River Side for around  $110.00 bucks the reel got it at Canadian tire for $130.00 .Had it two seasons and caught many lunkers this set up is bullet proof.,

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 05:06:10 PM »

That rod (Talora) will handle any fish you throw at it. However I personally have found them to be a little noodly and therefore have a weak hookset. I like a stiff rod (no jokes ;D) and a big reel. The Penn 321 is what i use. If i was right handed i would have stepped into the 330 for added line capacity.

My set up is Lamiglas BHC70H 7ft heavy rod, with a Penn 321LH, 100lb PowerPro.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 07:20:48 PM »

How do you rig up your terminal gear ?

legend

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 07:58:18 PM »

Simple take a heavy snap swivel feed your mainline through the eye followed by a couple salmon beads then tie your large two way swivel on below that . Then add your leader no longer than an arms length (pre tied with bait loop ). The snap swivel is for attaching your weight add some good bait ie. ( roe in a nylon the size of a couple of golf balls tied off with spider wire or dew worms , oolichans , smelts. ) . I usually fish deeper water just out of main current watch for deeper holes where feed could settle and you should have success . I have caught them from Richmond all the way past Chilliwack there are good spots all through the river. Make sure to get good swivels hooks leader don't loose a trophy because your cheap I use Kodiak swivels and Vision hooks go big on the hooks as well. Good luck from now till late fall should be great fo thoose Dino's .

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 09:35:47 PM »

Yes, exactly wat Legend said. Use Kodiak swivels, they are really strong, and buy the biggest size you can find. I used to use Vision hooks, however i found the barbs hard to pinch. Went back to Gami's and haven't had a problem. A large selection of scents is also a must in my opinion. Eel/Lamprey, Salmon Egg Oil, Sturgeon Feast, Sturgeon Cocktail, ButtJuice, and always have something weird to try like anchovy oil, or bass feast. Cuz you never know!!!

legend

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 09:56:36 AM »

Buy the barbless Visions  and the crushing the barbs is't an issue.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 09:49:53 PM »

I picked up a new Penn Slammer this season.
Combined with a Penn 330 with 130 Lb Power pro or Tuffline? ::)

It is a 6ft 6 rod rated at 20-50 lb and so far is a great boat rod.
Got this at Riverside for a great deal.
Those guys know there Sturgeon there and they have a great selection of Sturgeon rods ,reels and gear.

This is the one to replace one of my twin set ups that LAUNCHED from a wharf a couple years ago. :'(

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 09:56:45 PM »

hey how much did you pay? whats there website?
The Bigger The Better!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 10:40:11 PM »

We don't have a website up and running YET. $197.99 was the sale price for the penn rod and reel combo. Line is extra. You'd have a choice of 150lb, 100lb, or 80lb PowerPro.

Legend, good plan on barbless hooks, however Vision's are no longer stocked by the local distributor and therefore hard to get ahold of. So where ever you get those barbless hooks you should buy them up.

And bruce, we both know the pain of see a rod launch into the water.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 10:42:00 PM »

Army and Navy has a very good selection of Vision hooks.

legend

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 10:43:39 PM »

Bought them at River side i think it was a 50 pack  still have lots left but that sucks there no longer stocked.