Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 17 million sockeye.  (Read 4378 times)

Floater

• Old Timer
17 million sockeye.
« on: July 03, 2006, 06:52:41 PM »

Anyone wach the news as it stands so far this year is suppost to be the best return in 15 or so years. If this is true i really hope the commercial fleet get to dip their nets in. Another intrested story was about a guy who is farming sockeye in water tanks on land! I still dont understand why atlantic salmon are being farmed on the westcoast when sockeye would be the more logical choice.
[

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: 17 million sockeye.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 07:41:55 PM »

It was interesting article on farmed sockeyes. The researcher did it using pure spring water. Definitely have some potential.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 09:58:47 PM »

Another........story was about a guy who is farming sockeye in water tanks on land! I still don't understand why Atlantic salmon are being farmed on the west coast when sockeye would be the more logical choice.
It's because Atlantic are tougher in terms of standing up to the horrific crowding in net pens.
Pacific Salmon don't do nearly as well and it's all about crowding' em in and fattening up as many as possible at one time.

I'm surprised to hear about farming Sockeye in freshwater.
The reason fish farmers like to use salt is that it has a higher nutrient load-fish grow faster.
So like Bruce Swift up the valley doing Freshwater Coho this Sockeye guy must be looking to raise fish-smaller ones fed a careful diet-for a specialty market.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 11:30:07 PM »

If farmed in freshwater. Wouldn't it become farm raised kokanee instead of sockeye?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 11:38:51 PM »

Nothing small about these sockeyes the guy is raising. Looks just like a mature sockeye fresh from the ocean and no sea lices !!!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 11:54:36 PM »

Amazing. 

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 10:31:25 AM »

I support fish freak's idea of thought, i do want alot of sockey to come back, but it's just unlikely.  I think the true problem is the native fishery. And what they're doin, i know they sell there fish to the public. I was up near UBC with my buddy, we were goin to my native friends house, on the way there we were stopped 4 times to buy sockeye!! Like i mean what is wrong with the government cant they see what the heck is goin on! Usually while i'm drivin down the fraser with my dad we can see the nets, they're placed every 500yards or so! And they go on for a while,(up to hope, the farthes i've seen them!) We need to put a stop to this BS !! NOW!! THe, commercial fishery, is doin damage to not much, compared to the natives though! And they don't just catch sockeye they get pinks, chum, coho, springs, and steelhead! ( i've seen it!) And the DFO wants us to stop bottom bouncing, even though we rarley get enough fish to actually make us fish for them. I mean this is complete ludacris! We the sportfisherman aren't the problem, the freakin dumb A$$ natives are! THats the way i see it!  And when they pull their nets out they're jam packed with fish! THey don't give a damn, yah some of the fish are for food and rituals, but alot of the fish are sold to the public. Back to when we were goin to my buddy's house! ONe of the guys had a huge tank filled with ice water and sockeye on HIS LAWN! ( The the goverment officials cant see that!) >:( And one of the other guys had the fish in one of those rentable moving trucks. They were put in crates with ice and stacked up on each other. ( It was a huge truck)  Why cant any body stop this BS like what are we supposed to do stand back and just whatch this stuff play out till there are no more sockeye!  Look at the capilano the dumb natives have put shoping carts now, so they can catch what ever fish go up the river! THey aren't fishing like their ansestors, but does the government give a damn to the rules, that they applied on them? NO!! It sucks now that were losing out fisheries to these people, i'm all good with their spirutual mumbo jumbo, we need fish for it BLA BLA BLA! But when u start selling the fish to the public, and nobody does anything to stop them, for sure they're gonna keep selling the fish! >:(
Fish killer 101

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 10:47:54 AM »

i think it would truley be a kokanee since it spends its whole life in freshwater. they just get big from being fed all the time so they look like sockeye. very intersting on global last night though. it was something like out of the 17 million fish they expect, 6 million or something only make it to the spawning grounds, and what younggun was saying about the natives. the DFO just goes "oh, where have all the fish gone?". one reason, natives.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 10:50:03 AM by Coho Cody »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 11:09:36 AM »

I think the true problem is the native fishery. And what they're doin, i know they sell there fish to the public. I was up near UBC with my buddy, we were goin to my native friends house, on the way there we were stopped 4 times to buy sockeye!! Like i mean what is wrong with the government cant they see what the heck is goin on!

DFO knows what is going on. They're just turning a blind eye.  >:(

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 11:35:29 AM »

Well they should be cheaper than the 10 bucks per fish this year with so many coming in. I won't buy them anyway, but know lots of people who do and they don't fish.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

fishfinder

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 12:32:15 PM »

I believe the guy with the sockeye farm used sockeye eggs. The fish sure looked healthy. I noticed on the show he held up one sockeye that had spots?? It looked more like a coho. Maybe he is rearing coho as well. It looks like the scientist is going to do well financially.

Also on the newscast they said the ideal number of sockeye in the spawning channels should be around 6 million. Several years ago they allowed 10 million into the channels and the later fish started digging up redds and generally did a lot of damage. There were more salmon fry hatched but the competition for food was fierce and the result was the fry were smaller.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 02:22:02 PM »

i saw the same thing to fishfinder. he held it sideways in one hand it sure had spots and looked like a coho ???

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 02:29:38 PM »

Also on the newscast they said the ideal number of sockeye in the spawning channels should be around 6 million. Several years ago they allowed 10 million into the channels and the later fish started digging up redds and generally did a lot of damage. There were more salmon fry hatched but the competition for food was fierce and the result was the fry were smaller.

sounds like a good excuse to let the native and commercial boys have at er!  IMO DFO is over exaggerating the sockeye returns this year so they can open a commercial fishery for the commies and natives without getting too much flack for it.

dnibbles

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 03:48:22 PM »

DFO uses statistical models to forecast sockeye returns. They give estimates at different probabilities, for example, at the 0.9 probility level, that means that there is a 90% chance that that many fish will return. The 0.5 level will be a much larger number, but there is only a 50% chance that many fish will return. DFO is currently managing fisheries at the 0.5 probability level, which many in the field (including myself) think is not being nearly cautious enough. The predicted 17 million fish is at this level, but at the 75% level (which is most likely more realistic) the number drops to just over 9.5 million fish. This doesn't mean that 8 million fish have gone missing, it's the way fisheries science works.  Unfortunately, if forecasts at the .5 level are used, numbers like an 8 million fish commercial harvest get tossed around, and if it turns out there was only 9 million fish, you can say bye-bye to this cycle for a while.

One more thing, to the guys who are blaming the natives for the problems, sorry guys, it's not that simple. There's alot more going on than that.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 04:33:52 PM »

Just for giggles...what's the 90% range?  How close was the 90% in the past to the actual?