Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly fishing on the Skagit River  (Read 4299 times)

Eightball

Fly fishing on the Skagit River
« on: July 02, 2006, 03:23:02 PM »

Heard a lot about this river, but have never been there. How is the road and are there lots of access to the river? What sections are the best to fish? What fly patterns work the best?

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
Re: Fly fishing on the Skagit River
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 10:02:00 PM »

I am going to assume that you are talking about the section of the Skagit where you enter from Hope (not the upper sections that run parallel to Hwy 3).

Supposedly the road in is very good condition this year as driving 60 kms of washboard sucks.  Water is still high but fishable and wadeable in some sections.  As to where to fish, anywhere down from the 26 Mile bridge to Ross Lake.  There are a few day use areas where you can park your car and access the river and start walking with the mosquitoes.

For flies, you typcial array of small nymphs/soft hackles with or sans bead, and small dries should do the trick for trout.

If you need to pee, don't do it in the bush unless you spray the contents of your drawers liberally with Off!!

Shane

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: Fly fishing on the Skagit River
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 10:37:48 PM »

drove past it 2 times in the past week(vancouver to lytton) access is good to alot of nice runs and riffles, seems like a great river, never fished it before! I'm talking about the hope to princeton area! I saw a couple hoppers out! Plus a dead stone fly on my dads mirror!
Fish killer 101