Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: getting into Fly fishing... need help!  (Read 7875 times)

Sinaran

getting into Fly fishing... need help!
« on: May 18, 2006, 11:04:50 PM »

hey my fellow sport fishermen~   i know chucking fly is a very exciting and challenging way of fishing, so i decided to get into it this year and hopefully i would get some help from some of u pros here  ;D   
well so i have to get the rod and reel first.. what type/model of fly rod and reel u guys think is suitable for beginner like me?  what wt and type of fly should i employ? i know this is an expensive hobby, unless i can tie flies myself... oh well nothing beats the fun of
interacting with fish  at the other end of the line..  ;)     thanks forward to all your help guys. :)
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: getting into Fly fishing... need help!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 11:32:24 PM »

What type of flyfishing would you be doing ? Lakes, rivers, type of fish you are targeting ? Budget ?

Sinaran

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 12:03:52 AM »

What type of flyfishing would you be doing ? Lakes, rivers, type of fish you are targeting ? Budget ?
i guess river ? gonna get ready for the salmon season..  would there be big difference between lake and river fly fishing?  or there's a universal setup for both body of waters... ?  budget. hm... around 200?
thanks !
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 05:31:26 AM »

9 ft 6 wt is a good choice for general fishin' in BC.....get aq couple spare spools for yout reel of choice and have at least a floater and full sink line....I have 4 different lines for different applications....;)))

mojo your milage may vary ;D
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 05:51:18 AM »

you might wander into a place like My Fly Shop in Vancouver, and if they aren't real busy at the moment, tell them your situation and see what they say.

It seems to me it is much easier to find lakes in BC to fish than it is to find fishable streams (one fellow commented to me that if you find anything in a stream around here longer than about 8 inches it is either coming or going to the ocean).  Most of the time on lakes, unless you are fishing sunrise or sunset, you need to fish below the surface, and this generally means you need a weighted or sinking line.  Also, if you are fishing a lake, you just about have to have a floatation device, like a boat or at least a tube.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 07:42:40 AM »

hi sinaran: I think your budget of 200 dollars is going to be put to the test after you have purchased the necessary flyfishing gear. However, check out what is available at your local tackle stores. Sometimes the stores have entry level flyfishing combos with rod, reel, line and leader all put together for you. Alternatively,  you could post an ad on here looking for a quality used rod and reel.  Then you will probably need to take a fly casting course to learn how to cast with a fly rod. There are some course coming up I believe shortly and maybe you can get into one of them. I would recommend to start off slow at first to see if you really like this different method of fishing.  The first year will be a little frustrating as you learn the ins and outs of flyfishing, but after that it will provide you with  a lifetime of fun.

Sinaran

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 11:03:02 PM »

thanks a lot guys, for useful infor and recommendation!  i guess i would just go to the fly shop and tell them my situation and see what they say. i can't wait to get into this exciting method of fishing. :)   
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 02:22:15 PM »

Sinaran, my recommendation would be to pop into Anglers West Fly and Tackle at Broadway and Cambie. Talk to Scott the owner and he will provide you the best advice needed. You may also want to look into a flycasting class to start with as doing it on your own without guidance can turn you right off from flyfishing. So far I have been fortunate enough to pick up tips here and there from close friends who have been flyfishing for many years. If I was doing it alone, I may never continue at all.

ko

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 11:49:41 AM »

your post said rivers getting ready for salmon.i suggest a 8 wieght you could also use it for lakes,go with a nine foot six better to keep the line off the flow,less mending

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 09:00:39 AM »

Heed Rodneys advice and take a course....your first season will be much better spent that way.  My vote is for a 6 wt, 3pc 9.5 footer.  I advise a 3pc because around here if youre fishing rivers you'll likely be hiking in to alot of places (if youre sneaky!!) and the 3 or 4 piece rods are very portable and easy to hike with.  2 pieces in the bush are a little cumbersome.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 10:40:13 AM »

Agree with the 3 or 4 piece rod. The two piece that I carry around can be tiring especially going through bushes. Chrome Mykiss carries a three piece (or was it four, can't remember) in a tube that tucks nicely to the back of his pack.

So far as a novice, I've only been using my 4 and 6wt and having a lot of fun with them. The 4wt works great when fishing in lakes around here as well as some streams for trout. Last summer we took it out for rainbow trout in the Thompson River and it was great. The 6wt is slightly too heavy for trout around here but still doable. I also use it for bull trout in rivers. Both are 9'6" Stryker rods.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 08:46:15 AM »

Based on the fish species around here, and the "never know what youre gonna get" factor if youre fishing rivers with streamer flies or buggers, i'd say a 4 wt is just too small if youre going to own one rod.  A six will still give you some fight with the smaller fish, and will do in a pinch up against a bigger fish like steelhead and coho.  You can do it on 4 weights too, but you'd better have a LOT of backing on a big reel!!  8 wt is getting too big to be fun against fish like cutties or small bows.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 09:05:19 PM »

I agree with Marmot. Remember that 35 lb spring I hit on the Stave last fall when I was targeting Coho. It was luck and determination that landed that fish on my 6w, anything less and I wouldn't have had a chance.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 01:33:52 PM »

river fishing, need a 8wt fenwick, with reel, and floating, sinking, and sinktip lines. (for salmon)

5-6wt dragonfly, fenwick, reel , floating, sinktip!

Dragonfly, fenwick rods and reels are a good starters area!

Get an assortment of streamers, attractors, and wet flies for salmon. 
sugestions (squamish poacher, steelhead special, coho simmons, and its variations, egg patterns!)

Trout u need to either match the hatch, or find out what type of insects are on that particular stream or river, and find there imitations!
Fish killer 101