Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Sockeye Closure, Selective Fishing Method  (Read 30251 times)

nosey

Re: Fraser River Sockeye Closure, Selective Fishing Method
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 10:44:04 PM »

There are a lot of sports anglers that will not comply with this request, I'm primarily a bar fisherman, float fisher so it won't effect me whatsoever, but thew last time they made this same request there were still a lot of people out bottom bouncing. If this is the case this year the other user groups are going to be pissed off. It's easy to see if someone's bbing from a mile away so it just shows up all the more. I realize the COs can't be everywhere but I would welcome just seeing the odd one, I mean a leader restriction would be a heck of a lot easier to enforce than barbless hooks cause you can see how long a guys leader is from half a mile away. I'm glad you think there will be a high level of   compliance, but even a low level of  non compliance will be totally obvious to anyone wanting to point there finger at sports anglers as abusers of the resource, most of the regs cannot be checked by just glancing at a guys gear so people would be very wary of using a long leader if there was an actual restriction on it whereas if you give a lot of people an option they will abuse it. I spend a lot of time on the river and I'm afraid I just don't have the same amount of faith in human nature as you do. Either that or one of us has our head slightly up our butt. I'd like to take a boat ride down past all the bottom bouncing bars next weekend and see if they're all covered with bar fishermen happily sitting in their lawn chairs sipping their favorite beverage, it would be a fine sight to behold but I don't think it's going to happen. I hope I'm wrong ;)

pinkwool

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 11:06:45 PM »

What is all this noise about? Ther is no fish in the river as this has been so far the worst season in the last 8 years  >:(  No point burning that expensive gas unless you need a gulp of fresh Fraser air. I don't expect this sockeye season to be better than the last one either. All this indicates the total salmon numbers ARE COMING DOWN  :'(

dnibbles

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 09:14:51 AM »

All this indicates the total salmon numbers ARE COMING DOWN  :'(

What exactly indicates this??? Other than the record brood year escapement for this year's run?

nosey

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 09:46:29 AM »

Spring fishing has been a little slower than last year but nowhere as bad as it was in the early 1970's  when all user groups were made to comply with severe restrictions to save endangered runs, seems to me there wasn't nearly the amount of bitching back then as there is now. I've gotten 2 springs so far this year, one of the guys I fish with has landed 4 and I've heard of a few people with multiple fish days, none flossed. There are fish out there if you spend the time.

fishman

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 10:17:16 AM »

One point, you guys seem to have missed ,it is very easy to avoid the sockeye when fishing for springs at most bars. Sockeye tend to move close to shore while springs are usually further out. 
To avoid the sockeye simply don't drift in close to shore, stay out where the springs are and then retrieve before coming to shore. I've used thistechnique for years and it works just fine. I may hook 1 or 2 sockeye at most during the entire  spring season, these get realsed while still in the water. No problem.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2006, 10:48:11 AM »

No one really responded to the point I made a few posts back..as long as DFO doesnt take a DEFINITIVE position, people will floss.

Look at what their release says: "...required to fish selectively for chinook.....This means that anglers are requested  to use angling methods that do not catch sockeye".

Required and request can't be used in the same paragraph if anyone is to take them seriously and how about posting fines if people choose not to listen to their "request", that just it, flossers know its all bark and no bite.

And please "fishman" be a little more responsible than to make posts like your last one.  While fishing sockeye openings, my hook has "encountered": sockeye, chum, pink, spring, sturgeon, suckers...pretty much anything that swims can be hooked by a flosser.  While I acknowledge what you say about travel lains, I don't think you and all the other flossers can say with any degree of certainty that you wont hook a sockeye while flossing springs so don't put that idea in peoples heads.

nosey

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2006, 11:20:36 AM »

As of 9:10 this morning nobody had notified Cheyenne Sports in Hope of this request if the DFO wants compliance with this request they should post this notice every place fishermen congregate. I counted 15 anglers out BBing between the scales bar, Croft Is. and across from Floods about usual for this time of year. It looks like the compliance rate is fairly low so far. None of the bar fishermen i spoke to had heard of this request although it was faily welcomed, maybe it would be a good idea for the Fisheries to kinda get the word out.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2006, 12:29:16 PM »

Selective methods to some will mean using red wool for Springs and Chartreuse or green for Sockeye. Also if you need to use a 4oz ball then you're targeting Springs in the faster/deeper water.

DFO needs to either take a firm stand and make it regulation or get off the issue.

It sickens me that FN get netting openings and DFO request that anglers use selective methods. It's crap and I'm sick of hearing about it.

Make the regulations or drop the issue - no more of this suggestive propaganda where people pick sides and dig their heels in fighting for a cause that may make sense or not. Personnally I think the big picture plan is to cause this turmoil umungst the recreational anglers and DFO will then step in and say: there you go boys - you can't seem to get it together so here's how it's going to be. No recreational fishing for you until we open Sockeye but only until the Coho come in then it's closed again. Natives and Licenced Guides you can fish because you can follow the rules.

Or I could be completely wrong. Hopefully. By the way I'm not trying to start a fight - just my thoughts.

nosey

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2006, 02:35:15 PM »

It's sure a lot easier and cheaper to patrol a river when it's closed. It's easy to close if you deliberately confuse the anglers by not informing them of voluntary restrictions, looks like a conspiracy to me. >:( ???

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2006, 03:14:27 PM »

You can catch sockeye barfishing. Ask Troutslayer or Chris.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 03:21:34 PM »

Selective methods to some will mean using red wool for Springs and Chartreuse or green for Sockeye. Also if you need to use a 4oz ball then you're targeting Springs in the faster/deeper water.

DFO needs to either take a firm stand and make it regulation or get off the issue.

It sickens me that FN get netting openings and DFO request that anglers use selective methods. It's crap and I'm sick of hearing about it.

Make the regulations or drop the issue - no more of this suggestive propaganda where people pick sides and dig their heels in fighting for a cause that may make sense or not. Personnally I think the big picture plan is to cause this turmoil umungst the recreational anglers and DFO will then step in and say: there you go boys - you can't seem to get it together so here's how it's going to be. No recreational fishing for you until we open Sockeye but only until the Coho come in then it's closed again. Natives and Licenced Guides you can fish because you can follow the rules.

Or I could be completely wrong. Hopefully. By the way I'm not trying to start a fight - just my thoughts.

I agree with you 100% .. it is unthinkable that they would on one hand ask sportsfishermen to use selective methods and then turn around and allow a Native opening.. what do you think is going to be caught in those nets????????  you think they will actually use nets with larger openings so that Sockeye can swim through while the Springs get caught?? I don't think so.... and do you think a Sockeye caught in a net has any chance of making it up river ?????  if a sockeye is flossed with a barbless hook it will be released and still have a chance of making it up stream..  until they close the river 100% to fishing and that means to everyone I will never take them seriously !!!!!!!!!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 03:29:58 PM »

Well said. Present regulations are too wishy washy. Wide open to interpretation as to what is selective fishery ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2006, 03:52:11 PM »

you think they will actually use nets with larger openings so that Sockeye can swim through while the Springs get caught?? I don't think so.... and do you think a Sockeye caught in a net has any chance of making it up river ?????

Rick, the opening diameter of (set and drift) nets used in the chinook openings are indeed larger than the ones used during the sockeye openings. I don't have and can't recall the exact numbers but they are stored in the computer back on my desk, which I will have access to tomorrow when I arrive home. :)

DFO is required to provide openings for First Nations, the law says so. The main concern isn't how many more fish they harvest than the sportfishing sector. They are entitled to. This isn't what I agree or disagree, this is just the way is unless the rules are changed. The concerns that we should strongly express is the absence of transparency between DFO, the sportfishing sector and First Nations. On one hand, First Nations see the increasing interest in the sportfishing sector on the Fraser River as a threat to their way of life. On the other hand, sportfishermen do not agree with the way harvested fish are being recorded in the First Nations' fisheries. All groups recognize these issues, and talks have been set up since last year. Progress is small, but at least there is some.

Nosey, if you are concerned about these notices not being delivered to the bulk of the users efficiently, then I highly recommend you to contact the regional staff of DFO and emphasize the importance of getting these notices out immediately after the announcement. Expressing your opinion on a discussion forum such as this is useful to other readers, but changes will not happen unless you deliver the message to the right people.

Back to an earlier post regarding compliance. How is compliance measured? Based on the number of anglers who are not participating in bar fishing? Based on the percentage of anglers on the Fraser River who are not participating in bar fishing? Based on the number of sockeye salmon that are caught and released per day? According to DFO, high compliance was actually reported last year. How this was measured, I do not know. I suspect it was the fact that not many sockeye salmon were reported by-caught during the month of May and June (there were not that many to begin with, of course by-catch was low) which was an indication of high compliance. If by-catch was high/compliance was low, the river would have been closed until Early Stewarts escapement was reached as suggested in a similar notice last year. Seeing a row of anglers bottom bouncing with long leaders at Grassy Bar may give people the impression that compliance is low, but if we are basing the number of sockeye salmon being hauled out and tossed back in this group and the percentage of this group out of all Fraser River anglers on that day then measurement of compliance changes.

And no, I am not implying those who choose to fish with that particular method is correct or not. ;) I am simply suggesting that there is most likely a cut-off number on sockeye salmon by-catch. If the number reaches that cut-off point, then it suggests anglers are not complying to the request, which may lead to a closure to reduce mortality caused by catch and release.

<My apology for the run-on sentences. It's 1am here and I just finished packing for my flight tomorrow>

You can catch sockeye barfishing. Ask Troutslayer or Chris.

I caught one too. ;)

But don't ask me, according to many rumours on the internet, I am apparently the biggest flosser on this planet. ;D

nosey

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2006, 10:08:18 PM »

Thanx Rodney, do you happen to have the email address of the right DFO office to access in this instance, I know fisheries updates are usually faxed to the usual outlets but I think it would be good to have a few nailed up along the river too.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 02:17:15 AM »

I agree with you 100% .. it is unthinkable that they would on one hand ask sportsfishermen to use selective methods and then turn around and allow a Native opening.. what do you think is going to be caught in those nets????????  you think they will actually use nets with larger openings so that Sockeye can swim through while the Springs get caught?? I don't think so.... and do you think a Sockeye caught in a net has any chance of making it up river ?????  if a sockeye is flossed with a barbless hook it will be released and still have a chance of making it up stream..  until they close the river 100% to fishing and that means to everyone I will never take them seriously !!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

I am with Thickrick and Fishman all the way.  DFO's first mandate is conservation. If they deem the fish stock in danger, then all user groups should stop fishing, including FN. FN does not have priority over conservation concern.  If they allow FN to massively take springs and sockeyes, then impose this selective method clause on us that practically present insignficant impact to fish stock, then I deem them playing their old game on us sporties - you guys can be horsed around anyway them guys at DFO see fit, but they go overboard to appease FN.  I don't buy this kind of racist crap from DFO, period. Good spring BBers can avoid sockeyes easily. I had very few sockeye hookups when targeting spring. Use heavy beaties and fish the deepest & strongest flowing water and retrieve early, and you will not catch sockeyes.