Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pencil lead cuts  (Read 18063 times)

JBB

• I'm a llama!
pencil lead cuts
« on: October 18, 2003, 05:29:55 PM »

Another rookie question. How do you cut hollow pencil lead  to length and still maintain the hole in the middle.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

JL

Re:pencil lead cuts
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 05:37:14 PM »

i just use scissors...it works for me

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2003, 06:18:43 PM »

The hole in the lead serves no useful purpose with today's techniques.

It's true that some few people still use a tag end of their leader to attach their lead.

But the easy, economical and ecologically friendly way is to use a small section of surgical tubing to attach lead which is itself encased in surgical tubing.

Encasing the lead in tubing means a person loses much less lead thus keeping the nasty crud out of the river.

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 06:40:02 PM »

The lead I bought is Gibbs with a silvery finish and it does not cut with scissors or break when bent backand forth. It's obviously not pure lead.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2003, 06:50:59 PM »

I slightly scar the lead with a pair of pliers at the desired lenght and then bend it back and forth and it breaks very easily. If the hole becomes plugged when doing this I open it up with a push pin.

As far as losing lead, being a short floater myself I do not lose more than a couple all season. Hardly get hung up with the bottom fishing this way. ;D :D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2003, 06:52:33 PM by chris gadsden »

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2003, 08:16:53 PM »

Thanks Chris. Saved me time again.
   I appreciate it

wackyaboutfishin

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 10:12:03 PM »

What I do is use a pair of needle nose plyers and turn the pencil lead around the teeth of the plyers and crease the entire lead so there is a light crease all around, then bend it back and fourth until it breaks apart.  I then rub the end on a rock to take any sharp spots off and smooth the end out not to cut the fish line! ;D

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2003, 01:01:52 AM »

I use to do that as well Fulcrum, but find it just as quick now to do it on the river, even while standing in waste hi water!  Now I guess you ask why am I in waist hi water on the Vedder??  Good question!  I like it I guess! ;D

otto

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 01:06:38 PM »

before you go fishing precut yer lead by taking an old meat cleaver and sharpening it up real fine. then cut your pencil lead with a rocking motion. take a hook or nail an smooth out the holes if you are threading your line through the lead. (i like the surgical tubing idea more)..

JL

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 01:51:31 PM »

how do you attach the surgical tubing? how does the lead and tubing hook to the swivel?

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2003, 06:11:11 PM »

Put a nick on it and then bend it back and forth to break it. I normally run my main line through it and then attached a swivel to the line. This will make the weight slight up and down.

Good method for steelhead or coho fishing.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2003, 06:58:01 PM »

Personally I find I lost more lead when using the surgical tubing method. It seemed to get stuck in the rocks very easily. Sliding the pencil lead on the mainline works best for me. Hardly lose any.  ;D
"One man of courage makes a majority"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2003, 07:51:36 PM »

Terry that was before you became a short floater. ;D :D

shrek

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2003, 11:14:27 PM »

i put my lead on a drop line that is attached to a #12 swivel.  It sits before my main line swivel and I put a small bead to protect the Knot, so if it gets caught up, it just pulls out i end up saving my gammy and float

spring_killer

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 09:52:03 PM »

Where ever you want to cut the lead, keep rotating your wrist until you think that the led is almost cut. At that point, just bend back and forth until the lead has completely fallen off.  ;D ;D ;D