Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tackle From The USA Sure Looks Good Now  (Read 3399 times)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Tackle From The USA Sure Looks Good Now
« on: June 14, 2006, 06:29:33 PM »

Been lookin' 2 some lovely Bass lures, maybe a new Shimano Hali reel, maybe some new Tuna Sticks-much much cheaper than the local shops what with our so strong dollar.
Yeah I know you want me to keep locals employed and driving giant 4x4's but I want new gear and I want it cheaper than they sell it for-I have nothing to apologise for.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Tackle From The USA Sure Looks Good Now
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 10:17:40 PM »

Got a nice deal at Army & Navy this week on a Abu rod & Ambassador 7000 reel. When you add the cost of driving down to the States to your fishing supplies, the locals are a good deal. I guess the selection may have something you like thats not here. A good bass lure is no more than a bottle cap away though.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 11:16:29 PM »

I laugh at the army and navy or Canadian Tire customers who buy their gear there, then come to our shop to get their licience. Then they realize the could have gotten the same crab trap for $4 less plus 100ft of rope, trap harness, and bait bag free (as an example). O well, i get to laugh.

O and by the way, where do you plan on taking your reels when you need them fixed? Your local shop? ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 11:40:24 PM »

I laugh at the army and navy or Canadian Tire customers who buy their gear there, then come to our shop to get their licience. Then they realize the could have gotten the same crab trap for $4 less plus 100ft of rope, trap harness, and bait bag free (as an example). O well, i get to laugh.

O and by the way, where do you plan on taking your reels when you need them fixed? Your local shop? ::)

That is one exception. Don't be blinded because you work in a tackle shop. Not everything Army and Navy sell are 2nd rate products. There are alot of name products and their prices are lot cheaper than the local tackle shops.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 11:44:32 PM »

I think he's joshing a bit. I take my reels to Mike's,the last time I needed parts or service. I hate to see tackle shops lose business because they do provide some good advice to newbie's, as well as sell stuff. But when your too close to see the mudshark through the salmon.....you know the rest.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 07:07:32 AM »

No sales tax in Oregon.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 12:33:29 PM »

I laugh at tackle shop owners who think their store is so great that they don't realize it's a competitive market out there and alienate their customers.  ::)  I support my local tackle shops and buy at A and N boutique too.  In fact, I bought an Okuma Aventa V1002 reel recently for $170.  That's a heckuva deal that few shops can touch.  But, I also bought the CP rod at a tackle shop because A and N has crap for CP rods.  And the guy who sold me the reel at A and N was honest enough to tell me that I wouldn't find a rod for my purposes there rather than try to sell me a cut rate rod.  And dealing with these guys regularly means I that I can trust them as much as the guys at my local tackle shop and they're just as knowledgeable.  Where I buy my gear depends on a few factors:  Price is one of them but loyalty to a shop because I get good service is probably even more important.  Buying in the states is great for price and selection.  But for myself, I prefer local.
President Club S. C. & P.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 01:03:42 PM »

While I spend over 90% of my fishing money locally, its hard not to look at some of the deals that can be had down south.  Oregon is tax free and offers similar prices to Washington state (kind of weird that when you go and pay you actually pay the amout that's listed on the tag!).  I saw a pair of Hodgeman Lakestream wading boots for $27.00 US$ in portland and of course no tax.  When you add exchange and taxes at the border it comes out to $34.00 cdn.  I don't know where you can find a price like that up here.  Gammies are $1.72 a pack.  The same pack here costs $3.69.  I bought a lamiglas sturgeon rod for $64.00 US at sportco near tacoma.  One of the tackle shops here in town is charging 159.99.  Terminal tackle like corkies and spin and gloes are less than half the price down there.  Power pro braid is also much cheaper.  A spool of 300yd 100lb costs about $31.00 in washington state.  The same spool is about $63 -$73.  I understand the point about buying locally and supporting your local tackle shop but when the prices differ by that much, it makes you think twice.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 02:29:55 PM »

I try to support tha local guy as much as possible..but the problem is sometimes that the local guy prices himself way out of competition..me not being a rich guy has forced to buy my gear most of the time at a larger store that has much better prices..and as far as supporting the local guy goes.. I will support them all the time they aren't trying to gouge me with their prices.. my store is a perfect example.. I am a small local guy and I pay much more for supplies thatn the big guys do!!!  but guess what !! my prices are the same or better than the big guys, because I know that no matter how much people wanna help you if they can go somwhere else and get the exact same thing for a lot cheaper they are not going to stay loyal to me.. it is human nature!!!!!!

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 06:53:54 PM »

Here's a view point from someone in Washington. I will buy where i get the best service AND selection. I support my local B'ham shop as it's the only real fly shop around here, they don't have a huge selection but will get you anything you want, will match anyones price and are very nice to deal with...I will support that!!! I also come up and have gotten a LOT of stuff at M & J's on King George and when the vedder is runnin at reaction fly, M & J's have sold me rods and reels at better prices then ebay even. Reaction i support because while not the cheapest, they don't mind some old hack coming in and bothering them for tips etc. Have always made me feel welcomed so i will go out of my way to spend some cash at their place too.

Price is one thing, you can normally get most shops to match prices...but service is something else if a shop treats me like a beak or just gives me poor service i won't return to that shop no matter if their price is lower or not...i WILL NOT support any shop that gives poor service, I find that inexcusable.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 10:26:43 PM »

Look my point was alot of ppl just assume that the big retailers have the better price. Which is not always true. Then they come to our shop to get a service. (We lose money on liciences btw, we make very little, plus the time it takes to write one, and the amount of stuff that gets stolen while our heads are down writing, it's almost not worth it.) Then they realize maybe they should have come here first because on some things we are very competitive.
Its a two way street in my opinion. You support us, we will support you. We have regular customers who come in a few times a week, some times to buy something sometimes to just chat. The get the deals without asking. Then there are the shmoe's that expect everything at cost. I see them all.

I have no problem if you buy your stuff at a big retailer. But it's when you expect the little guy to warranty your broken rod, or fix your reel, or write your licience, when you are not willing to spend another dime in the store.

Get to know they guys at your local shop. You'll be rewarded.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 10:48:48 PM »

I will always support the local shops, even if i have to pay a little extra, they give helpful advice, great guys, share some spots :P .
weeeeeeeeeow!

fish bonk

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 11:00:46 AM »

Dion , Its  matter of buying power that gives the big box stores an advantage over small bussines. And the products that are cheaper are usually cheaper for a reason. thats because they are of poor quality. That said though, These are the things I have NEVER  enjoyed at a box store.........

1.free samples of custom cured roe!

2. Really good fishing tips on locations all over this province as well as small zipper mouth waters!

3. A friendly welcome, and a good b/s session.

4. Free loaner rods when in a pinch.

5. Warranties on rods, and in stock parts for most reels!

If only the Fraze, 'support your local red and white.''  meant our local tackle/fly shop!

And as for shop lifters, kick um in the TAINT as they go out the door!!!! :o

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 01:53:35 PM »

Dion , Its  matter of buying power that gives the big box stores an advantage over small bussines. And the products that are cheaper are usually cheaper for a reason. thats because they are of poor quality. That said though, These are the things I have NEVER  enjoyed at a box store.........

1.free samples of custom cured roe!

2. Really good fishing tips on locations all over this province as well as small zipper mouth waters!

3. A friendly welcome, and a good b/s session.

4. Free loaner rods when in a pinch.

5. Warranties on rods, and in stock parts for most reels!

If only the Fraze, 'support your local red and white.''  meant our local tackle/fly shop!

And as for shop lifters, kick um in the TAINT as they go out the door!!!! :o

Good attitude.