Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to BC  (Read 11059 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: New to BC
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2006, 02:27:52 PM »

Itosh, Please point out where I have said that I have fished the Harrison or the Chehalis? While your at it, please point out where I have said that I am a master fisherman? I dont recall ever saying that in a post.

Uh...

Yup I have only been fishing freshwater for less than a year, yet I know more about the LML than you guys.

I think what others are trying to say is...

If you don't know much about river fishing, which is what Ryan is asking (not where the rivers are), then perhaps there wasn't a need to say anything since there is no substance to it. ;)

And comments like...

Leave the small amount of Coho that actually make it past the flossers & natives alone....  >:(

Are unnecessary. It makes no sense at all actually.

Let the regulations, which are designed by those who actually know the health of our fish stocks, to tell people where, what and when they should fish. ;)

The Fraser River below Mission is not ideal for float fishing. In fact, between May and October, the fishing is not spectacular at all. The bull trout fishing can be done in May and June by spincasting or roe fishing on the bottom, but spincasting is scratched if freshet is strong. Roe fishing for bull trout usually results in throat hooking, so the fish released have a higher chance of dying. In July and August, the river is littered with coarse fish, which can be fun on a light rod, but again it's not float fishing like what Ryan would see in Ontario. In late August, the odd spring jacks might be caught by bottom fishing with roe, but the opportunities are rare. From September to mid October, the Fraser River is usually closed to protect the interior coho salmon.

The Capilano River is supported by a hatchery that has a fairly high annual production of coho salmon for anglers to catch. Leave those fish alone? You may want to find out where those fish are going if anglers leave them alone. ;D ;D ;D Ryan, give the Capilano River a try between May and July. It's close to Vancouver, the fishing can be very good at first light if the timing is right.

Squamish and Whistler area, I'll say it again, the rivers are generally silty and float fishing, or any form of fishing, is impossible from May to September. The fishing is very good from October to April.

Fishing is not always about catching, nobody said it is, but not always catching makes you know nothing about fishing. ;D ;D ;D

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2006, 05:31:49 PM »

I'll put in another vote for the capilano.  Nice river to fish in May to september, and you can usually at least see the odd fish jumping on anygiven day.  If you see someone rapelling down the canyon wall to get some fishing gear stop over and say hi.  ;D

hoboryan

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2006, 10:38:42 PM »

Thanks for the Reply Everyone!
Sorry to cause any controversy.

I will checkout the Capilano River some time this summer.  In regards to the gear used out here, do most 'drift fisherman' use rods that are 10 foot 6 and less? Out east it isn't uncommon for us to use Rods up to 13 feet in length.  Are there any good tackle stores in the Greater Vancouver Area that you guys might recommend? (hopefully catering to more than just Fly Fisherman).

Thanks!

Ryan

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2006, 10:54:38 PM »

10 1/2 ' is the standard. In my opinion a 13 ft rod is an overkill for the Capilano. In terms of fishing shop there is Anglers West (www.anglerswest.net). There is also Berry's Bait and Tackle located in Richmond
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 11:03:04 PM by Fish Assassin »

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2006, 10:56:43 PM »

Hey Hoboryan,

Highwater tackle on Lonsdale Ave is a great place to start.  This is in north van and Dave usually has a handfull of accurate reports on the Capilano....

I did want to let everyone know.... especially the more seasoned members of FWR that this thread has been nothing but an embarassing to new members...... Why are we slagging members of the site.... we all share a common interest and thats what makes these sites so strong...Lets think before we post boys and gals...
see ya on the river

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2006, 11:09:33 PM »

Ryan, if you are in Richmond area, visit Berry's Bait and Tackle. Their website is http://www.berrysbait.com/

If you are in Vancouver, closer to Downtown area, visit Anglers West Fly and Tackle as FA has mentioned.

Both Berry's and Anglers West should have plenty of updated information on the Capilano River.

If you are heading towards the Vedder River, stop by Reaction Fly and Tackle. Take the Whatcom Road exit at Hwy 1, make a left to the Petro Can, Reaction Fly and Tackle is next to Tim Horton's, can't miss it. ;D Their website is http://www.reactionbaits.com/

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2006, 11:32:39 PM »

I did want to let everyone know.... especially the more seasoned members of FWR that this thread has been nothing but an embarassing to new members...... Why are we slagging members of the site.... we all share a common interest and thats what makes these sites so strong...Lets think before we post boys and gals...

Thank you, I think my last post went unnoticed by some people, hopefully this will bring a stop to the nonsense.

Another vote for Anglers West as a good store to check out for any of your gear needs. As mentioned above, 13 ft may be a little long for the Cap, but it should be ok for other rivers. 10.5 ft is the typical length over here, but it really comes down to preference, if you're comfortable using a 13 footer, then use it, no use going to a foreign rod when you havn't used it before, and there isn't really any good reason to.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2006, 05:28:47 AM »

Hobo......as a recent immigrant to BC but having 18+ seasons on Georgian Bay and Lake Huron rivers....just some caution.....if you have a noodle rod.....and fish with less than 8lb test....u will be met with some funny looks.....and really read the regs.....is a lot more to this fishery than back east......other than that....go git 'em.....if yer ever travellin' to Osoyoos area.....mail me...;))

mojo recipient of many funny looks one day :D
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2006, 10:05:27 AM »

If your heading out to the valley or mission way stop and see the boys at Riverside Fly & Tackle. Their on the busiest corner of the Lougheed highway at Shaughnessy St. in Port Coquitlam. Minutes from the Pitt River too.
2847 Shaughnessy St. 604-944-2479
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 10:09:56 AM by Trout Slayer »

hoboryan

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2006, 10:34:28 PM »

Thanks everyone!

I'll be sure to checkout some of those stores you guys listed.

Again thanks!

Ryan

hoboryan

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2006, 10:59:30 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to give the Capilano a try tomorrow, but was wondering where access points are.  Is there parking??

Thanks in Advance!

Sincerely,

Ryan

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2006, 01:01:50 AM »

Ryan, parking is plentiful at various spots along the river. The obvious one would be the one by the hatchery. Drive up to the hatchery (make a left onto the small road soon after the Capilano Suspension Bridge, there should be a sign) and park. Hike down the river from there and fish at several spots.

If this is your first time, it's best to have little expectation and make it more of a hike/exploration. The terrain in that part of the rive´r is steep and anyone should proceed with caution, safety first. You'll find that the first spot by the parking lot is usually rather busy. There are several other spots further down but they require time and energy to get to, so usually you'll find less people down there.

The other option would be to park around the Hwy 1 Bridge on the east side of the river. There are a couple of popular spots around that area as well.

Good luck tomorrow, as it appears the fishing is better than previous years from the reports. :)