Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well, I don't need a rod Holder for Barfing anymore!! I hope!!  (Read 7950 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Well, I don't need a rod Holder for Barfing anymore!! I hope!!
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 10:01:24 PM »

Shows the importants of being a FWR member and getting tips first hand from the pro's. ;D ;D ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 10:16:57 PM »

Personally, I like the rod holder that keeps my expensive rod and reel off the dirt, out of the water, has a beer can holder etc.
When you get those light taps of smaller salmon a more horizontal holder is the ticket to success. You can use a stick for a rod holder(my usual).
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 10:33:38 PM »

Personally, I like the rod holder that keeps my expensive rod and reel off the dirt, out of the water, has a beer can holder etc.
When you get those light taps of smaller salmon a more horizontal holder is the ticket to success. You can use a stick for a rod holder(my usual).
The type you mention are fine in the lower reaches of the Fraser but here we need ones like BIg Steel has built as we use heaver gear all around. Of course as well the fish are bigger up here and they would just pull your whole outfit in and continue heading upstream. ;D ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 12:13:49 AM »

Hear ya, already happened ;)

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 01:15:18 AM »

Hey Big Steel, I would recommend some sort of shock absorbing material at the top end of the holder.  I made one very similar to that one and when I got a big spring on it SNAP!!!!! went my rod.  I would think that if you were to use "Tool Dip" several times on it would be sufficient. Also by using the tool dip it won't scratch up your rod when in use. I am pretty sure that you can purchase it at any local hardware store.

Hope this helps

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 06:21:43 PM »

I have one of those as well, a custom made dealy!!  It is stainless steel as the lower tends to have some salt water going on!! ;D
But I made this one for the Upper fraser, so as Chris said, it needs to be tough!! :)

Hey Big Steel, I would recommend some sort of shock absorbing material at the top end of the holder.  I made one very similar to that one and when I got a big spring on it SNAP!!!!! went my rod.  I would think that if you were to use "Tool Dip" several times on it would be sufficient. Also by using the tool dip it won't scratch up your rod when in use. I am pretty sure that you can purchase it at any local hardware store.

Hope this helps

I thought of that as well, but I have a rather long handle on My rod with an extension, so it sits perfect right on the foam handle!!  But if I need to do something like that later I will!!  Also, all of the edges on it have been nicely rounded, and it am prepping it for a custom paint job, you know, cause I have so much spare time on my hands!!  Besides, it will be one of a kind, making it tougher for those with sticky hands!! :o ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 06:28:20 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 07:15:26 PM »

Like to buy something like this that leaves "one hand free" while I fish. Essentially you are the rod holder, which is pretty nifty all in itself. Looks like there still trying to hook someone into paying for the production.

As attorney for the inventor of the innovative Fishing Rod Holder we are currently seeking manufacturing companies to license, purchase patent rights or enter into a royalty agreement for this timely invention.

The Fishing Rod Holder has a harness with straps, a body pad , and a fishing rod holder. The harness member is comprised of a waist strap and a bandoleer-like shoulder strap, each having buckle elements for adjusting the fit to the user. The fishing rod holder is comprised of a U-shaped tube-like element having apertures whereby the fishing rod holder can be securely fastened to the body pad using appropriate fasteners.

Objects of the present invention:

provide a tool that increases a user's comfort while sport-fishing

provide a tool that is managed with a single hand leaving the user with a hand free

provide a fishing rod holder which can aid the physically challenged as well as the sportsman in securing a fishing rod to a user wearable holder

provide a fishing rod holder that can be adjusted to accommodate right and left handed users

provide a fishing rod holder that can adjust to the varying heights and weights of various users

Or build yourself this sweet system..................................Jed "clampit on ya".. Bodine style

« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 07:22:14 PM by troutbreath »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 07:53:04 PM »

Hey Anthony, thanks!!  But if you READ the whole thread you will see that I addressed all of those points when I was designing it!!  ;D ;D

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 10:01:18 PM »

looks good bs, Iv also made two like that, however i used cheap medal and the the sharp point eventually folded in >:(
weeeeeeeeeow!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 07:30:44 PM »

OK so, here is an update, not like anyone cares really, I am just bored and felt like being a post whore!!!   ;D ;D

So upon doing some more thinking aout things said on this thread, I figured that I needed to do some mods to get the buggar to stick in the ground a bit easier!!  I don't want to hit it with a sledge, or rock or anything, so I made a sharpened steel rod, re-cut and angled the bottom and welded in the "stake".  This should allow for easier insertion in the afformentioned ground!! ;D  But, I left it at work tonight as the primer was still wet!!  I may also do some more welding and grinding to me it look a bit better!!  Anywho, enough said for now, I will perhaps post some more pics of the revised model!!  It, looks nothing llike the bare bones one from earlier this week!! :D  Yeah, I know I'm a bit weird!!  But I am betting it will be the swankiest bar rod holder out there!!  Might not work, but it sure will look the part!! ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2006, 10:44:59 PM »

Looking the part is very important BS. ;D Look at all the people with their Sage rods, Islander reels, breathable waders and top name fishing jackets out on the river that doesn't have a clue what they're doing.  ???

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006, 08:56:55 AM »

"Personally, I like the rod holder that keeps my expensive rod and reel off the dirt, out of the water, has a beer can holder etc."

Like this one ;)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2006, 04:43:11 PM »

Yeah I suppose that one would wrok nicely!!!! ;D  I am waiting for the primer to dry on mine right now, then I may take a couple of pics of the revised model!! ;) :)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2006, 07:28:12 PM »

OK, so here of a couple of pics before the paint job!! Note the  change made to the bottom!! ;D

« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 07:30:22 PM by Big Steel »