Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well, I don't need a rod Holder for Barfing anymore!! I hope!!  (Read 7952 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....

So I was a bit bored at work today, and I had been thinking about getting a bar rod holder for quite a while, but I didn't want to spend the money on it!! ::)  So, I looked through the scrap bin and came up with an idea!!  That idea truned into this!! :)

I would think that should do the trick, but if I by anychance over looked something, let me know before I go and do the finishing!! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
Re: Well, I don't need a rod Holder for Barfing anymore!! I hope!!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 05:40:52 PM »

Hey thats pretty good looking for home made!
I made one in school as well for extra marks and worked out pretty good. Just hope it holds that 30 pounder thi year!!! ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 06:19:18 PM »

Very nice. The only thing I would suggest is that if you haven't already, sharpen the other end so it's easier to dig into the gravel.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 06:26:21 PM »

Very nice. The only thing I would suggest is that if you haven't already, sharpen the other end so it's easier to dig into the gravel.
It is sharpened to a nice point as well!!  Something like this!!! ;D

Now I was thinking of a rubber dip of some sort, or say a custom paint job or something!!  Whatever I do, I willl post it when it is done!!  Think I might do some stenciling or something!!  What do you guys think would be a good name for it, you know, since us guys seem to name everything anyways!!  I have a few ideas, what do you guys say?? ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 06:39:03 PM »

Spike  ;) Can there be any other name ? ;D

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 07:01:51 PM »

Looks good but how about a horizontal bar near the bottom so you can stomp it  into the ground like a shovel
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 07:07:00 PM »

Looks good but how about a horizontal bar near the bottom so you can stomp it  into the ground like a shovel

I was going to weld one of those on, but I took into consideration the kind of ground that I would be putting it into most of the time and figured that I would need to use a big rock or a hammer anyways, so I left it off!!!  Now I just have to have the river come into shape and get out there and try it!! ;D

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 07:11:12 PM »

I have the bar on the bottom but it ussually gets a few whacks with whatever is handy as well
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 08:30:38 PM »

You should think about going into business. :)
The Bigger The Better!

Griz

• I'm a llama!
    • www.kodiaktackle.com
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 08:30:49 PM »

Big Steel now you are all set. You have your self a new Ugly Stick bar rod & holder. If you need any big snaps or nice size swivels drop me a line and can arrange that for you also. Oh ya Jason forgot to pick up Thick Ricks rod but  I'm going to get him to pick it up before he leaves for work in the morning. ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 08:41:00 PM »

Well, I think that I might have to do some adjusments as I sit here looking at the holder and thinking about how it will work, but....  I still have to get out onb the water to give it a try!!!

Griz, I will stop in at Jason's on my way home tomorrow, if it is there, then I will get it!!  If not, then I will try again the next day!!  I will let you know on the other gear, I think that I have everything except weights!!  But we will see, I think that I will need to pick up some 14-18 oz ones!! ;) :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 09:17:40 PM »

Well, I think that I might have to do some adjusments as I sit here looking at the holder and thinking about how it will work, but....  I still have to get out onb the water to give it a try!!!

Don't just look at it, put that Toronto Maple Leaf Logo on it. ;D ;D ;D

By the way how long is it?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 09:36:25 PM »

Don't just look at it, put that Toronto Maple Leaf Logo on it. ;D ;D ;D

By the way how long is it?

It is 4" shy of 4 feet!!  44" long!!  I wanted to make it a bit longer, because I can always shorten it if need be!! ;) ;D 

And a NO, it will not be receiving a Make Me Laughs Logo!! :D  I do want to catch a fish on it you know, and well, that would be a really big jinx on it right off the bat!! ;D ;D  I think that I will give it a paint job and airbrush a name on there!!  Should look pretty good!!  If you ask why would I do that, it is just going to get all sraped up anyways?  I would answer, because that is just the kind of guy I am, besides, I doubt anyone out there will have a fancy smancy airbrushed rod holder!!  What can I say, I like to be a bit different!! :o :-[ ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 09:49:06 PM »

It will not be too long as some time in some spots you have to put your rod out a ways in the water and also if you fish down in the Bowman's area the water can come up 3 feet on a high tide.

Also a tall holder helps by keeping your rod higher hence it keeps more line out of the water preventings a drag on the line. This can then lessen the amount of weight you have to use to hold your glow in place.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 09:59:11 PM »

Well, Chris, you know, watching the unexpected catch video that Rodney put up a while back, helped out a bit as well!!  From that, when I saw you running into the water to grab the Rod, I said to myself, " well, then I should take into consideration that I may have to place the holder in the water at times." Thus I made it about a 1 and a half longer than I was going to !! ;) :)