Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shushwap  (Read 2228 times)

sliverbullet

Shushwap
« on: June 01, 2006, 10:34:35 PM »

I was just wondering if anyone has had any sucess on catching anything other than pike minnow here? I usually bring the float tube but im never sucessfull catching any trout.

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Shushwap
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:30:06 PM »

thats proabably because of the depth of the lake, try the rivers mouth for better fly action.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 05:26:11 PM »

Great fishing there for large trout ,unfortunately that is just about over for the season. You gotta be there early and of course know the secrets that the few locals who fish will tell you, if your lucky. I've sworn to secrecy
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 03:41:33 PM »

Yeah, when I was much younger, about 20 years ago I went there for a holiday and we did well using Rapala plugs on a down rigger at 30 feet.  I guess they represent a kokanee or something but we hooked up with lakers and a couple of beauty rainbows.  This was certainly before all the restrictions that are now in place to protect the big fish.  Good luck to you.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 08:37:54 PM »

The Shwap is where I came up with my Dolley Whacker pattern. I went out for the average boring day of draging plugs at 50 & 80 feet, a few years ago with my brother-in-law. Watching his new fish finder I could see that there was a huge number of fish in the lake. So I commented to John that from what I could see, it was clear to me that know one I knew had figured out the lake. So he shows me this fly from the local fly shop called a Polar Bear and tells me that they are going for $5 a pop. I told John that he and his freinds were getting rip because this so called magical fly was nothing more than a modified Zonker. To which he responded "Can you tie these?" "Yah" I said. Excited now he asks "Can you tie them in different shades of green?" I can tie them in any color you want I said.

So that night back at his house I pulled out my bucktails, flashaboo, crystal flash. John picked the colours and I tied. In the end we came up with a fly that looked like a winner to me. It looked like something I had seen but at that point I couldn't figure it out. We tried it the next day (on a regular rod with mono fly lines have too much drag off a down rigger) and were hitting fish evey 5 to 10 minets; some Pike Minnows, some Rainbows, and some Lakers. These were my first Lakers on a fly.

You can find the specks to tie my Dolly Whacker in the Encyclopedia Of Canadian Flies. 
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

sliverbullet

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 08:59:46 PM »

sweet deal man i definatly will

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 10:53:40 PM »

I was just wondering if anyone has had any sucess on catching anything other than pike minnow here? I usually bring the float tube but im never sucessfull catching any trout.

Okay here's the trick Fish

After you come up with a good preditor pattern you need to get it down; the Bows seem to favour depths of 30 to 50 feet and the Lakers like 50 or better. When I use my fly rod up there I use a fast sink with a leadhead to get down fast. Deep Water Express would work well to.

If you want some reel excitment hit the mouth of the Adams during the fry hatch. The surface literally explodes with Bows 2 to 3 feet in lenth, as they attack fry running the gauntlet trying to make it from the river to deep water.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"