Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flyfishing for coho in the cap....  (Read 11054 times)

Ribwart

Flyfishing for coho in the cap....
« on: April 23, 2006, 02:04:41 PM »

Well guys and gals, I'm trapped!!! I've recently come to the realization that I won't be able to get out on any flow for quite a while... :(
So I've been thinking when will be the next time I can get out of this hell I'm in and it will probably be sometime during the summer run of coho on the cap....
What I am wondering is, does anyone have any first hand experience flyfishing for these little bluebacks??? I think I would like to give it a shot, and am hoping someone here will be able to help me out with some basic setup & technique info to get me started...
I'm not a novice flyfisherman, I just usually fish stillwaters on the fly and am hoping to make the transition to rivers. I'm figuring a good start would be to practice by trying my hand at a few of these smaller bluebacks with my 5 wt before I pick up a good 8-9 wt for steelies next year...Anyone?
Thx in advance,
Rib
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 02:30:43 PM by Ribwart »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Flyfishing for coho in the cap....
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 03:14:42 PM »

When the water rises a bit and bring some fresh fish in, wait for the water to drop, go to the cable pool, down the stairs and flyfish with muddler and minnow patterns at first and last light.  Seen some fly guys outfish the gear guys that fish off the ledge.

Ribwart

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 03:37:02 PM »

Thanks Doug, that's definitely helpful... Anyone else add anything?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 04:29:51 PM »

Olive woolly buggers work well. As Doug has said, Cable Pool is a good place to fish for them. The only problem is you have to compete with the gear fishermen there. However, this is generally not a problem when the river is low.

Ribwart

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 06:00:53 PM »

I would imagine I could pick them off in other areas of the river that are less accessible too though....often fishing gear for them I have found you can find schools of them moving through other pockets of water so I'm hoping this will be a good strategy to avoid crowds and keep my flyline from having mysterious and spontaneous pencil lead from becoming attached to it... ;)
But seriously...I guess the general consensus so far is to use something more in the way of a fry or stickleback imitation, as I guess an olive wooly bugger or muddler would do nicely for that....anyone tried any maribou type flies similar to jigs for steelies... (except less weighted)? I'm curious to see if they might work and will give them a try...although I guess a wooly bugger has a maribou tail so hopefully this will pan out...
Thx for the advice guys!
Rib
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 06:04:49 PM by Ribwart »

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 07:36:18 PM »

Probably. But why not use the real stuff instead? ;D

barracuda

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 07:55:46 PM »

We use wooly buggers (particularly black with gold beadhead and flash tied in) out this way quite sucessfully. White, pink, and olive are also good colours to try. Imagine if they work here, they should work there?

Stonefly, mayfly, and caddis patterns also have their times here though I guess the success of those would be based on what's in your waters and how big the flow you're fishin is.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 07:57:57 PM by barracuda »

Ribwart

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 07:57:42 PM »

Thx 'cuda

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 09:01:54 PM »

Hey Rib,

I'll be back in Van next week (May 3rd), and am looking to get out on the water, I have no car, so the Cap is one of the only options for me.

I've also been interested in fly-fishing the Cap, would you be interested in meeting up on the river some time ?

Have a lightish fly rig I've been meaning to get out for a while.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Ribwart

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 09:29:17 PM »

Hey Spud, yeah that'd be great only I'm still going to be out of the loop for a while, til the last week of may, (at least),Maybe then I'll be able to get out there....like I said at the start, "I'm Trapped" for a bit....would be great to meet up with ya though, maybe a little later in the run eh? Need to rearrange my life so I can fish all the time and never worry about anything else ever again...LoL wouldn't that be nice? Maybe you'll be in town during the summer?

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 09:50:57 PM »

I work up North during the Summer, ship leaves on the 18th, up there until September, then back to the Island.

I'll probably be spending a bit of time on the flow until I leave, if you happen to be out and see a shaggy kid with a Loomis hat, I'll most likely be tossing a Loop rod around (always carry the rod tube with "Loop" on the side), come by and have a few casts, show me how it's done  ;D 8)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 06:37:47 AM »

Another vote for wolley buggers.  I like olive on the cap as I have luck with olive streamers in the cap.  Bead head, and sinktip or full sink line,  but I just use a sinking leader. 

I can't imagine why a coho would eat any insect, nymph or dry, but you never know what trout is lurking in the cap too  ;) ;)

We use wooly buggers (particularly black with gold beadhead and flash tied in) out this way quite sucessfully. White, pink, and olive are also good colours to try. Imagine if they work here, they should work there?

Stonefly, mayfly, and caddis patterns also have their times here though I guess the success of those would be based on what's in your waters and how big the flow you're fishin is.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 05:02:32 PM »

as most people have already said, the cable pool can be a very productive place to chuck a fly. if you can wade in low water and cast your line right against the  wall on the other side of the tailout with an olive wooly bugger, you should do quite well when the fish are moving through ;)

Ribwart

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 08:19:55 PM »

Thanks CC...that's one of the spots I definitely had in mind....I also have a few similar tailouts and a small pool picked out in the middle sections of the canyon, and a couple of spots in the lower river picked out. I think it will come down to a whole lot of patience and good timing on the fish moving in to be successful, but I'm willing to put the time in and feel I can get a few here and there if I work at it....and as I'm not getting out for a while I have loads of time to prepare and think it through before I get to try....URGHHH  >:(
Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated!
Rib

whitetip

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 10:33:55 PM »

hey I would love to hook up with some one that is will to so some fly fishing on the cap I am close by so just, let me know if u would like to hook some where on the river