Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to BC  (Read 11061 times)

Reservoir Dog

Re: New to BC
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 11:17:54 PM »

Well seeing as you guys dont know anything about the LML, other than the Chedder.
I guess there isn't any fish in the Fraser, or the Pitt, or the Alouette,  Or hey how about Chehalis River, or Coquitlam River, or maybe Harrison River, how about these ones, they're pretty good too, Indian River, Kanaka Creek, Nicomekl River, there is also Serpentine River, and Silverdale Creek, and at last resort try Stave River.

Reservoir Dog,
Thanks for pointing out all those small urban rivers that are already plagued by a number of problems ;) But I guess you already know about the problems :P Let me guess you don't fish those rivers and you do volunteer work on those rivers? Sometimes, its better off to just email ppl about certain small rivers that cannot sustain a lot of fishing pressure, than to just blab it out on a hijacked post ::)

You still haven't answered my question as to which coho you are refering to?  Are you avoiding my question, because you don't know what your talking about? ::)

I do fish all the rivers you have listed by the way  8)

Sorry, I was refering to Cap River. It's been fished to extinction and should be left alone... I have fished most of those rivers I listed, How have I hijacked this post? I have posted information requested, other than the Chedder. I'm not the one filling this post with useless crap.

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 11:19:51 PM »

Well seeing as you guys dont know anything about the LML, other than the Chedder.
I guess there isn't any fish in the Fraser, or the Pitt, or the Alouette,  Or hey how about Chehalis River, or Coquitlam River, or maybe Harrison River, how about these ones, they're pretty good too, Indian River, Kanaka Creek, Nicomekl River, there is also Serpentine River, and Silverdale Creek, and at last resort try Stave River.

Yup I have only been fishing freshwater for less than a year, yet I know more about the LML than you guys.

Hey Rod, how many posts have I made on here in the last month, 3 maybe 4.....

Hmmmm... and how many of the above mentioned rivers have you actually fished and caught fish on?  Anybody can read off a bunch of rivers from a map or the regs. 
Fraser: Need a boat to fish and then its not much of a float fishery, more of a barfishing or bottom bouncing fishery, but of course you knew that
Pitt: Essentially a barfishing fishery or casting spoons or spinners, not much of a floatfishery, but of course you knew that
Allouette: Not many fish in there period until the chums start showing up in the fall
Coquitlam: They stopped stocking that river with catchables on July 1 a few years ago now, but of course you knew that.  Once again need to wait until the fall for the few salmon to show up.
Indian: Need a boat to access it as a bridge is still washed out I believe.  Not much of a salmon fishery up there unless it is a pink year.
Kanaka: A mere trickle of water until the fall when a few salmon show up.  I'm sure your buddy PI would be overjoyed with you mentioning this river
Chehalis: A few summer runs and springs, but you pretty much need to get into the canyon for success, and the canyon walls aren't really the safest.  Of course you have been there and done that too, I'm sure.

As for the rest you have mentioned, like most of the others you have mentioned, not much of a summer fishery, if any at all.  Of course you are more than welcome to follow your advice and go practice you casting in them.

Hey Hobo, if you want to have any success during the SUMMER floatfishing, then the Vedder and Cap are your best bet.  Start from there and then expand you knowledge by asking questions either here or in tackle shops (or email ResDog ;))

As for stressing fish, can't stress them unless you catch them first.  Also nothing wrong with taking pics of fish, especially with a real camera, not some camera phone.

Shane

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 11:30:10 PM »

Sorry, I was refering to Cap River. It's been fished to extinction and should be left alone... I have fished most of those rivers I listed, How have I hijacked this post? I have posted information requested, other than the Chedder. I'm not the one filling this post with useless crap.

The Cap River fished to extinction??? :o :o
Or do you think its been fished to extinction because YOU haven't caught anything there?
Do us all a favour and take a look at the hatchery in the fall...lol... those silvery things that are swimming in the water aren't an optical illusion.

Which of the rivers that you have mentioned have you actually fished?  As I recall on another thread on another forum, you didn't even really start fishing freshwater until this year? (and no, I am not gonna go look for it... not spare time on my hands... probably in the same post where you were asking what a centerpin was... or was it in the post where you boasted that you had 30 years or so of fishing experience but thought that spey fishing was some sort of new flyfishing technique just because you hand't heard of it).

The internet may provide you with anonymity, but no need to overexaggerate your knowledge just because nobody can see you!!

Shane

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 11:31:22 PM »

Hmmmm... and how many of the above mentioned rivers have you actually fished and caught fish on?  Anybody can read off a bunch of rivers from a map or the regs. 
Fraser: Need a boat to fish and then its not much of a float fishery, more of a barfishing or bottom bouncing fishery, but of course you knew that

From Mission Bridge down, there are a ton of places to cast from shore both sides of the river, for salmon, steel, trout, and sturgeon.

Pitt: Essentially a barfishing fishery or casting spoons or spinners, not much of a floatfishery, but of course you knew that

I dont float fish, unless I'm on a lake

Allouette: Not many fish in there period until the chums start showing up in the fall

Been told by locals that there is great Trout & Steel in this river. Never had time to stop and drop a line

Coquitlam: They stopped stocking that river with catchables on July 1 a few years ago now, but of course you knew that.  Once again need to wait until the fall for the few salmon to show up.

Indian: Need a boat to access it as a bridge is still washed out I believe.  Not much of a salmon fishery up there unless it is a pink year.

Coqo & Indian I haven't fished.

Kanaka: A mere trickle of water until the fall when a few salmon show up.  I'm sure your buddy PI would be overjoyed with you mentioning this river

Do I look like I give a damn what PI thinks? Last time I was out there the water was high, and I saw fish in it, however nothing was biting.

Chehalis: A few summer runs and springs, but you pretty much need to get into the canyon for success, and the canyon walls aren't really the safest.  Of course you have been there and done that too, I'm sure.

I haven't fished this river, But what I have been told is it is good fishing, outside the canyon. Your the first to say fish within the Canyon.

As for the rest you have mentioned, like most of the others you have mentioned, not much of a summer fishery, if any at all.  Of course you are more than welcome to follow your advice and go practice you casting in them.

Hey Hobo, if you want to have any success during the SUMMER floatfishing, then the Vedder and Cap are your best bet.  Start from there and then expand you knowledge by asking questions either here or in tackle shops (or email ResDog ;))

As for stressing fish, can't stress them unless you catch them first.  Also nothing wrong with taking pics of fish, especially with a real camera, not some camera phone.

Shane

Yup I do need another camera, but my phone takes some pretty descent pictures. And when I go out fishing, I prefer to avoid the Chedder unlike you guys, I prefer the challenge of not knowing that there is a HIGH chance that I will catch something.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 11:32:19 PM »

Hmmmn, if you haven't noticed the Capilano has this huge concrete obstruction called a dam on it ::) The dam has caused the lost of wild fish in the system and not over fishing :( The coho in the Capilano are not extinct or even close to it. The entire run is hatchery supplemented, since there is very little if any natural spawning habitat left on the river. If it was an endangered run, why would they allow people to harvest coho there? The hatchery coho are meant to be harvested ;)
If you want some credibility in your posts, please fish more and get your facts straight before posting. Instead of trying to mock other people, who are obviously more experienced than yourself.

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 11:35:00 PM »

The Cap River fished to extinction??? :o :o
Or do you think its been fished to extinction because YOU haven't caught anything there?
Do us all a favour and take a look at the hatchery in the fall...lol... those silvery things that are swimming in the water aren't an optical illusion.

Which of the rivers that you have mentioned have you actually fished?  As I recall on another thread on another forum, you didn't even really start fishing freshwater until this year? (and no, I am not gonna go look for it... not spare time on my hands... probably in the same post where you were asking what a centerpin was... or was it in the post where you boasted that you had 30 years or so of fishing experience but thought that spey fishing was some sort of new flyfishing technique just because you hand't heard of it).

The internet may provide you with anonymity, but no need to overexaggerate your knowledge just because nobody can see you!!

Shane

Shane, if you read my posts, you know that I have been SALT WATER fishing most of my life, Yup I only switched to Fresh this year.
I also hadn't  seen anyone flyfishing or using centerpins (other than knuckle busters) in saltwater.

Oh and Shane, yes I do like using an anonymous proxy. It keeps people from seeing where I am and trying something foolish. I have already stopped a couple of "Shaw.ca" IP's from invading my system. So I switched to an anonymous proxy, to mask my IP.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 11:38:26 PM by Reservoir Dog »

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2006, 11:48:49 PM »

Geez man, the guy was asking where he could float fish until the end of summer for steel/salmon.  Floatfishing is where one uses a float while fishing AKA drifting.  Would you seriously, in your expert opinion, tell a newcomer to go cast a float in the Fraser for steel or salmon?

So once again, of the many rivers that you have mentioned, which ones have you actually fished and caught fish on??

Just like Hobo shouldn't believe anything you are saying, maybe you shouldn't believe what the locals tell you about the AL?  Also, maybe you haven't heard about the canyon because whoever told you wanted to keep that fishery a secret (even though it isn't really, but maybe they you knew you weren't a freshwater fisherman).

And please tell me what would make you think that the Cap has been fished to extinction?

Shane

*Edit*: I wasn't referring to IP.  And ya, what Coho were you referring to leave alone if they make it past the natives and flossers?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 11:52:54 PM by itosh »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2006, 12:04:41 AM »

Leave the small amount of Coho that actually make it past the flossers & natives alone....  >:(

Reservoir Dog, do you leave the coho alone?

I dont keep anything I catch, and I dont feel the need to photograph my catches. The least amount of stress on the fish as possible.

Possibly because you haven't caught any ?  ;D

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2006, 12:05:56 AM »

Just found a recently posted Q by ResDog:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10105.msg94776#msg94776

So I guess, you have fished and become quite knowledgable about this river in one month?  ::) ::)  Afterall, it is one of the many rivers you have suggested... too bad he wasn't asking for directions to the Chehlis or Harrison rivers.

Shane

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2006, 12:10:24 AM »

We seem to have gotten away from the main idea of the original post before it was hijacked by a number of various parties... ::)

It may be worthwhile to keep some of this to personal messages to the person who started the thread, and let them decide which to follow, instead of breaking out into a big pointless discussion about a person's credibility.

These are all personal opinions, to which everyone is entitled to hold.

I remember Rod talking a while back about this site is intended to educate new fishers, and teach some of the old dogs (no pun intended... ;D :P) some new tricks. Instead we get the my smelly socks-slinging that we've seen in the past 15+ posts, which really isn't doing anyone any good, and doesn't further anyones understanding of the sport we all love.

RIGHT, now for what I actually wanted to add... ::)

The Chehalis can be drift-fished very effectively because of it's flow speed, and the general shape of the river, there are some access points, but you may want to wander around a bit, it's a beautiful river with a lot to offer anglers. The river generally gets going for chum and coho (the primary target salmon in this river) in October/November, with VERY high concentrations of chums.

The Harrison can be fly-fished, drifted, as well as provide opertunities to toss hardware. This is a VERY wide river in some places, and locating fish can be a bit of a problem some of the time, unless they are breaking surface continuously. Wade around until you find conditions you like. I have mostly tossed spoons and fly-fished this river, but there are places where drift fishing with a float can be quite effective. This rivers tends to get going from late summer, until November, for chum, coho, and springs, but there are also sockeye, but keep your eye on the regulations for openings for retention, or fishing for them in general.

The Cap (as mentioned) is located in quite an urban setting, but there are still some secluded spots to be found. This is primarily a hatchery stocked river, and retention is allowed with some fairly generous limits, but be prepared to "compete" with other anglers at some of the popular spots for casting room. You can find coho and springs in this river for most of the year, but it often isn't worth the effort (aspecially if you aren't familiar with the river) until the summer months when the bulk of fish return. This river can be fished in a variety of methods including float/drift-fishing, tossing hardware, and fly-fishing.

Comments about the Vedder/Chilliwack river have been beaten around a lot in this thread, ut there really are secluded spots to be found, I remember reading somewhere that this river is one of the (if not the) most fished rivers in the country. This angling pressure has raised the need for a hatchery which supports some of the salmon runs the river recieves. Refer to previous posts about the angling methods and times for this river.

Let's grow up a bit guys and get back to what this person is really asking.

Thanks  :-* :)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2006, 12:31:24 AM »

You know, Spudcote, you are right.  This site meant to educate and inform.  Giving out what is essentially misinformation in relevance to the original question IS NOT informative or educational. 
Trying to slag proper information and trying to justify it by coming across as an experienced river fisherman IS NOT informative or educational.  Myself, I don't consider to be an experienced river fisherman whatsoever, but I have been doing it for more than 4 months and have some relevant experience.

Shane

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2006, 08:03:04 AM »

Itosh, Please point out where I have said that I have fished the Harrison or the Chehalis? While your at it, please point out where I have said that I am a master fisherman? I dont recall ever saying that in a post.

Hobo, I dont know much about river fishing (something I say alot), but I have been in the LML for 40 years. I do know where most of the Rivers I posted are to some degree, and if I was better educated I might know where the best fishing is. But People would rather tell me how bad of a fisherman I am, instead of pass along useful information.

Best thing I can suggest, is get ahold of the Regs for BC, and a copy of BackRoads and run by trial and error.

Fishing isn't always about Catching. There is more to fishing than always catching.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2006, 10:03:56 AM »

Welcome
weeeeeeeeeow!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2006, 02:13:10 PM »

Welcome Hoboryan. As you have already found out this site has a rather vast demographic of members. The longer you stay around here the more you'll get to know what to expect from certain individuals. The one thing I would like to point out is that most people here are more than willing to help out and many would even be willing to take you out and show you the local ropes.
Actions speak louder than words.

barracuda

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2006, 02:26:49 PM »

Hey Guys,

Another Toronto float fisherman here (or as you seem to call it here, drift fisherman). I'll be out fishin with Hobo in July and just wanted to give you all my thanks and appreciation for the help. I'm sure it'll be of great aid when we get to scouting for fish. I tip my hat to y'all.

If any of y'all wanna join us for a day or two out on the Cap in the first week of July, send me a PM. It'd be great to see how the locals did it and prolly fun to compare techniques from the West and East.

Regards,
tom