Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to BC  (Read 11058 times)

hoboryan

New to BC
« on: April 18, 2006, 08:50:10 PM »

Hi,

I've just moved to British Columbia from Toronto.  I am a floatfisherman in the great lakes region for Steel and Salmon.
I just have a quick question regarding the seasons in the Lower Mainland.  Going to pick up a regs book, but just need to know
what type of fish are available in the rivers this time of the year and through the summer. 

What types of fish are available in the Squamish/Whistler area between now and the end of the summer? The vancouver Island area??

Any help or private email would be great!

Thanks guys!

Ryan

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: New to BC
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 09:19:11 PM »

Welcome.

April
Steelhead fishing on the Chilliwack/Vedder River, Cheakamus River, Squamish River.

May
Steelhead fishing on the Chilliwack/Vedder River, but flyfishing only.
Coho fishing in the Capilano River.

June
Chilliwack/Vedder River closed to all fishing.
Coho fishing in the Capilano River.

July
Chilliwack/Vedder River opens for red chinook salmon fishing.
Fair coho fishing in the Capilano River.

August
Chilliwack/Vedder River for red chinook, but fishing generally slower.

September
Chinook and coho salmon fishing in the Chilliwack/Vedder River.

Squamish, Cheakamus Rivers are not good from May to early fall, due to silty water caused by freshet.

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 09:26:57 PM »

Intresting. He asks for LML, Squamish,Whistler & VI, and gets Vedder.

Rod there is fishing in places other than the Vedder you know.

hoboryan: You have mail!

Leave the small amount of Coho that actually make it past the flossers & natives alone....  >:(
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 09:35:49 PM by Reservoir Dog »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:52:35 PM »

Stamp River Port Alberni - chinooks (Sept. Oct), cohos (Sept. Oct)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 10:13:51 PM »

RD, there are fishing forums in BC other than Fishing with Rod you know? Oh wait, you're banned at all the other ones. ;D ;D ;D

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 10:16:35 PM »

The Cap ?

There isn't a whole lot else strictly in the "LML" unless you have a boat, or hire a guide and/or boat and hit the salt which can be decent in the summer and fall. Lower Fraser can produce some fish from shore though.

You can pick up steel for the rest of the month on drift gear, but must switch to fly next month, and keep off the river in June, then it opens again to chinooks in July.

It's mostly steelhead for the rest of the month, but the Capilano (Cap) gets a pretty early run of fish around May that lasts right through Summer and into the early part of the Fall. Around June/July is when the "big rivers" truly get going. There are chinooks (springs) in most rivers, the Fraser has springs in the system for pretty much the whole year, but they are mostly targetted during the summer months. he vedder has been pretty much covered by rod with regard to what fish are where.

The Harrison and the Chehalis get most of their fish in late Summer, early Fall (Sept/Oct), a LOT of chums, and some very nice coho mixed in, with some springs in there too (not sure when they arrive/leave). Coho canbe taken in the Chehalis right through until Christmas.

Around that time, th steelhead start up again.

Make sure you have your licence, and check the regs, check your gear, and see what this "new" province has to offer.

I fished the mainland for a few years, liked fihsing there, and am now on the Island, it's a whole new set of rivers, and I'm anxious to see what anyone has to say about them, as I'm stil a newb too over here  :D
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 10:26:02 PM »

Are you threatening me Rod....

At least I have been banned from Reputable Boards.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 10:29:01 PM »

Is that why you're here, because you have good taste? ;D ;D ;D

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 10:32:22 PM »

hoboryan: You have mail!

Leave the small amount of Coho that actually make it past the flossers & natives alone....  >:(

First of all, perhaps read the whole post before you reply.  Obviously there are other places to fish besides the Vedder, but there really isn't too much happening in them.  As was posted, the Squamish is too silty during the summer months due to freshet and snow melt, but of course you knew that.  The Upper Cheakamus is closed to fishing but of course you knew that.  The lower Cheakamus basically has no more resident trout/dollies due to to the chemical spill, but of course you knew that.  There is a small run of Springs in the Cheak but is a hit and miss fishery but of course you knew that.  The whole Squamish and Whistler isn't an ideal place to go in the summer if you wanted to do river fishing, but of course you knew that.

Secondly, maybe Rod should have posted that he doesn't really know the VI river fishery so hopefully somebody else could provide some insight.  Actually, maybe he should have posted to wait for ResDog to post cuz obviously you are an expert with a whopping 1 year (if that) of freshwater fishing experience!!

Thirdly, unfortunately in this day and age there are probably flossers on ANY river in the LML, also many rivers are fished by natives so what river/s were you referring to when you stated "Leave the small amount of Coho that actually make it past the flossers & natives alone..."?  Or are you trying to tell him not to fish rivers?

Anyways, I think that Rodney's brief overview will be more than enough information for a newcomer to the area.  Oh wait, he didn't mention your beloved Sturgeon Slough!!

Panty, you need to get out fishing more and spend less time causing my smelly socks on forums...  ;) ;)

Shane

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 10:37:22 PM »

And that is something to be PROUD of?? ??? ???

Shane

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2006, 10:50:53 PM »

maybe Rod should have posted that he doesn't really know the VI river fishery so hopefully somebody else could provide some insight.

I guess I could have googled up some info instead of posting up first hand information. ;D ;D ;D

Ryan, before you're lost... ;) You can find regional reports at http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishing_report/index.html

The freshwater regulations are also available online at http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/synopsis.html but the booklet is always good to carry with you of course.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 10:51:45 PM »

Reservoir Dog, do you leave the coho alone? Since you are such a deadly coho catching machine ;)  Which coho are you refering to by the way? The majority of the rivers in the LM have hatchery supplement runs of coho. The last time I checked, hatchery fish are meant to be harvested ::)

Nice avatar by the way, should George Lucas be proud of it?  :P

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 10:52:02 PM »

Well seeing as you guys dont know anything about the LML, other than the Chedder.
I guess there isn't any fish in the Fraser, or the Pitt, or the Alouette,  Or hey how about Chehalis River, or Coquitlam River, or maybe Harrison River, how about these ones, they're pretty good too, Indian River, Kanaka Creek, Nicomekl River, there is also Serpentine River, and Silverdale Creek, and at last resort try Stave River.

Yup I have only been fishing freshwater for less than a year, yet I know more about the LML than you guys.

Hey Rod, how many posts have I made on here in the last month, 3 maybe 4.....

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 10:54:34 PM »

Reservoir Dog, do you leave the coho alone?

I dont keep anything I catch, and I dont feel the need to photograph my catches. The least amount of stress on the fish as possible.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 11:07:36 PM »

Well seeing as you guys dont know anything about the LML, other than the Chedder.
I guess there isn't any fish in the Fraser, or the Pitt, or the Alouette,  Or hey how about Chehalis River, or Coquitlam River, or maybe Harrison River, how about these ones, they're pretty good too, Indian River, Kanaka Creek, Nicomekl River, there is also Serpentine River, and Silverdale Creek, and at last resort try Stave River.

Reservoir Dog,
Thanks for pointing out all those small urban rivers that are already plagued by a number of problems ;) But I guess you already know about the problems :P Let me guess you don't fish those rivers and you do volunteer work on those rivers? Sometimes, its better off to just email ppl about certain small rivers that cannot sustain a lot of fishing pressure, than to just blab it out on a hijacked post ::)

You still haven't answered my question as to which coho you are refering to?  Are you avoiding my question, because you don't know what your talking about? ::)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 11:14:29 PM by Chrome Mykiss »