Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to fish and How????  (Read 4092 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
What to fish and How????
« on: April 03, 2006, 10:50:03 PM »

After my first lake experience, which was an excellent day but fishless..i sat down tonight and was reading Phil Rowleys book, "Flys for Stillwater" or something like that...i was amazed that he states in spring a trouts diet consists of up to 50% chironomids and gets down to maybe mid 40% through out the rest of the year...Second was scuds which surprised me too.

So i'm sitting here thinking that i'm not real thrilled with the indicator style of fishing...it's very productive true but it's not what draws me to fly fish... i can't argue with those kind of numbers in Phils book...So i'm going to have to come up with some way to fish um...Do you guys have any suggestions and patterns that you find works the best? I would appreciate sizes and how you fish them too...

mojoman

• Old Timer
Re: What to fish and How????
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 06:16:22 PM »

I use a  Type 3 sink line....bout 9 ft lead.....barrel swivel.....2 ft tippet....chronie......apply hemostats too barrel swivel.....drop overboard.......feed line till u hit bottom.......crank your line in 1ft.....strip in line....cast in direction of your choice....lite a smoke....take 3 drags....line should be below boat now....hand twist the fly in......is slow as well...but I enjoy the retrieve much better than starin' at an indicator......your milage could vary...;))))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 07:39:31 PM »

Interesting subject, indicator fishing  and fishing naked. Tried the  indicator last year for the first time and did well, much better than fishing it naked.
I'm going back to naked after learning and getting into the zone with the indicator, you cant adjust the depth of your fly with the indicator attached as with fishing without one.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:24:45 PM »

I use a  Type 3 sink line....bout 9 ft lead.....barrel swivel.....2 ft tippet....chronie......apply hemostats too barrel swivel.....drop overboard.......feed line till u hit bottom.......crank your line in 1ft.....strip in line....cast in direction of your choice....lite a smoke....take 3 drags....line should be below boat now....hand twist the fly in......is slow as well...but I enjoy the retrieve much better than starin' at an indicator......your milage could vary...;))))

mojo

Great tip...I've heard and forgot that about a hundred times it seems...I'm a firm believer in that i was taken off the tit too soon and so my hands have to always be busy..so I'll try that...( happy id's can sit there and watch indicators all day)...i have to also find a couple better indicators..mine are all river ones...gracious amigo.