Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The lesser of the evils  (Read 9177 times)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: The lesser of the evils
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 04:08:05 PM »

Hey Thickrick I'm the same as you in that I used to floss but now bar fishing is the way to go. Just finished getting everything ready for the up coming season and sturgeon gear has been ready for a couple of weeks. Hoping to get into a 10 footer this year.

sounds awesome... I can't wait to wrestle dinosaurs.. I am going to be doing it from shore though..... should still be fun

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006, 01:53:37 PM »

Fish forever WOW!!!!!  what an amazing fish!!  :o :o that must have been an awesome experience shaking hands with that brute!!!  I hope I can get into something like that this year .. that pic gets me stoked!! ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 08:20:10 PM »

When can you fish for sturgeon? Any time of year or only specific times? Where can you fish for them other than the fraser?

Do you get many women fishing for them? I bet the larger ones would be damn hard. Do you have some kind of machine helping you or is all rod?
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

~You've lived a life of privilage, one that was garnered by GREEDY thieves.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 08:27:28 PM »

When can you fish for sturgeon? Any time of year or only specific times? Where can you fish for them other than the fraser?

Do you get many women fishing for them? I bet the larger ones would be damn hard. Do you have some kind of machine helping you or is all rod?
Usually starting when the water warms up.  Anywhere in the Fraser really, everyone has their favorite spots.The fishing from what I have seen slows a bit during early summer, then picks back up again in late July and August and into September.  They are in Rivers and Lakes throughout the States.  Only seen a few women fishing for them, yes the larger ones a rather hard to fight, but it can be done effectively with the right gear and no, there is no winch or machine, it is the rod the fish and your arm strength!!! ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 09:19:16 PM »

No closure on sturgeon fishing but total catch and release.

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 09:26:52 PM »

Ya but where else in BC can  you fish for them?
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

~You've lived a life of privilage, one that was garnered by GREEDY thieves.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 10:02:20 AM »

No closure on sturgeon fishing but total catch and release.

The Columbia is closed to sturgeon fishing.
Actions speak louder than words.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 11:10:12 AM »

Good posts Rodney and Ribwart.  8)

Enjoyed reading opinions on the issue, and enjoyed even more it didnt end up in a mud slinging fest!!
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 04:09:41 PM »

Well....if I were a flosser (I'm not), I'd be kind of embarassed to be part of something so controversial in the eyes of the general angling public.  As a matter of fact, I don't fish around flossers..and if I were involved in something so controversial, would cease to proceed to fish that way.

At any rate, I find it unacceptable that flossers seem to only have ONE defense..and that is...it's legal. Yes, you're right, it's legal, but by the traditional definition of angling, it's not legitimized by the majority of the angling public and any conservationst. Just 'cause it's legal, doesn't mean it's right. Laws are subject to change and so are regulations. Perhaps it's time the flossing issue be reexamined by the powers that be. Furthermore, one of the interesting things about flossers is their refusal to fish by other methods (perhaps from lack of knowledge or commitment to success by fishing using other techniques)

Just 'cuz it's legal has never meant it's right. Look at it this way...it's legal to go as fast as you want on the Autobahn, but is it right to endanger the lives of other individuals on the road where you so choose to haphazardly through prudence and good judgement to the wind?

It's legal for companies to make millions of dollars...but does that mean companies should have no obligations to their communities, people, and the enviroment?

At any rate, that just my 2 cents worth and I'm sure I'm going to have some foul mouthed flossers have some less than complementary opinions and words for me..but so be it. It's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. I may not agree with what flossers may say as justification for their methods, but just remember, I am just one person of the large majority who despises and has contempt for individuals using less than honorable methods of "angling" and then cower under the black letter words of a regulation which so desperately needs to be changed.

IMHO.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 04:20:36 PM »

Well....if I were a flosser (I'm not), I'd be kind of embarassed to be part of something so controversial in the eyes of the general angling public.  As a matter of fact, I don't fish around flossers..and if I were involved in something so controversial, would cease to proceed to fish that way.

At any rate, I find it unacceptable that flossers seem to only have ONE defense..and that is...it's legal. Yes, you're right, it's legal, but by the traditional definition of angling, it's not legitimized by the majority of the angling public and any conservationst. Just 'cause it's legal, doesn't mean it's right. Laws are subject to change and so are regulations. Perhaps it's time the flossing issue be reexamined by the powers that be. Furthermore, one of the interesting things about flossers is their refusal to fish by other methods (perhaps from lack of knowledge or commitment to success by fishing using other techniques)

Just 'cuz it's legal has never meant it's right. Look at it this way...it's legal to go as fast as you want on the Autobahn, but is it right to endanger the lives of other individuals on the road where you so choose to haphazardly through prudence and good judgement to the wind?

It's legal for companies to make millions of dollars...but does that mean companies should have no obligations to their communities, people, and the enviroment?

At any rate, that just my 2 cents worth and I'm sure I'm going to have some foul mouthed flossers have some less than complementary opinions and words for me..but so be it. It's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. I may not agree with what flossers may say as justification for their methods, but just remember, I am just one person of the large majority who despises and has contempt for individuals using less than honorable methods of "angling" and then cower under the black letter words of a regulation which so desperately needs to be changed.

IMHO.

I am sure you will find that most people on this site feel almost the same as you except!!!!!!

Sockeye fishery on the Fraser....

other than that fishery I totally agree with you.. I think there are probably a few people on this site that take part in that fishery...

ending your post with that comment Foulmouthed Flossers is a sure fire way to upset a few... despise??? contempt??? strong words for someone who is taking part in a LEGAL fishery.. just my two cents..

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 06:00:42 PM »

"I'm going to have some foul mouthed flossers "

Not likely, as people who floss probably don't have a foul mouth or bad breath. It's those self rightous types you got to look out for ;). They may be too busy telling everyone what's right to floss. :-X
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Ribwart

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 06:10:04 PM »

yes birdman, that is likely a very daunting and difficult task at best, but I suspect the difference in techniques is likely lost on those around you in those circumstances....

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 06:20:48 PM »

Birdman...if you see that beek named Marcel, give him the "hot pocket" for me.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 06:33:20 PM »

IMHO.

I am sure you will find that most people on this site feel almost the same as you except!!!!!!

Sockeye fishery on the Fraser....

other than that fishery I totally agree with you.. I think there are probably a few people on this site that take part in that fishery...

ending your post with that comment Foulmouthed Flossers is a sure fire way to upset a few... despise??? contempt??? strong words for someone who is taking part in a LEGAL fishery.. just my two cents..

ThickRick..thanks for the voice of support. Question though.I know that sockeye can be quite trying at times to get them to bite (they DO bite on occasion contrary to popular belief among many flossers) but I wondering why the "meat" fishery should warrant a change in "angling" technique? Do sockeye because of their "hard to get to bite...except when flossing" warrant a change in technique? Are you suggesting that "quality of taste and flesh" warrants a technique such as "flossing"?  I sportfish for salmon and occasionally take a salmon for the table so technically that makes me a "meat" fisher too....but does that mean that "flossing" is warranted?

Just curious..and thought I'd ask...for if food was the issue...we've got TONS of pinks available for food and Save On has 'em for like $2 a fish.  I just ate the last salmon in my freezer..which happened to be a Pink that was gushing blood from the gills so we bonked it. We poached it, and let me tell you, it sure was tasty and flavorful...even after having been frozen...and it was excellently preserved.

Hope everyone has bought their new licenses anyways...flossers included.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint