Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flounder and crab March 18  (Read 6023 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: flounder and crab March 18
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2006, 01:17:12 PM »

I was trying to say don't eat too many things from that part of Burrard inlet. When I fished there the lesions on the flounders were abundant and nasty. Turned me right off the area. I heard that due to past industry (which I remember) polluted the area worse than "Love" canal. That was some news story from the early eighties. Lived on Indian arm in the ninties and the closer I caught fish toward Burrard those tasty lesions showed up. Not very scientific but just fair warning to those who dine from the area. Must be cleaning itself up a bit by now (just saying that to make some people feel better ::)).

The salmon pass through the Fraser on the way to the ocean, and on the way back. The sturgeon (and a host of other fish) live in the Fraser. Take your choice as to which one has less pollutants...and chow down. If you chose pike minnow .....again limit your intake.

Personally I like fish from the blob area of Sapperton. Have a unique aroma you can only get from chemical preservative. 8)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2006, 01:28:44 PM »

OK, just for the record, I have never caught a Pikeminnow, let alone ate one!!!  The thought makes me retch!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2006, 04:09:29 PM »

Pikies are really not that bad to eat. I tried them when I got serious about fishing and caught one with my new fly rod (dry line,royal coachman,Davis lake). Bony yes but the dog liked them more than I (took the fish off the plate before I could finish it). Should be smoked for best eating.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2006, 05:05:28 PM »

Im gonna head out tomorrow with adanac for crab and flounder near belcarra. Post when I get back
weeeeeeeeeow!

glycine

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2006, 11:21:45 PM »

i had worked in research department in kumho petrochemicals.  in my basis of experience. i would predict that a flounder from burrard inlet may have less pollutants than a salmon from alaska. of course, i dont have any specific evidence. 
our research team performed a research project which has simililar situation like this topic. suprisingly, sardins which was sampled from petrochemical plants packed kwangyang inlet contained less mercury and dioxin than alaskan pollocks.

the effects of pollution dont result as we expect. a flounder is harmful because it came from burrard inlet? too simple.
usually, a species in a higher niche of ecosystem accummulate nonpolar chemicals and heavy metals in their body from their prey.

i would eat well cooked fishes from burrard inlet. actually, my concern is not pollutans. it is parasitic flatworms!! i belive that more flounders have those worms than other area... i dont know why.. i couldnt find any infos.. i want fresh sashimi.  men!!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2006, 05:17:34 PM »

cool thanks for your info
weeeeeeeeeow!