Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cutties on the Harrison River ....  (Read 7672 times)

James

Cutties on the Harrison River ....
« on: March 16, 2006, 08:25:41 PM »

ok , so i know that people are very secretative about where to fish . But i am having a hard time even finding a place to gain access to the cutthroat fishing on the harrison river . I don't have a boat , so walking access from a road near by is best , Of course i will be flyfishing .
If someone could atleast point me in the right direction to find a area to begin fishing at  or even a map of the area , that points out access points ., it would be really appreciated . And i have no idea about this river , so "dumb it down " as much as you can .  ;D

And of course , feel free to post up some reports if anyone has some . No need for anyone to give there special runs away though .

I understand that there is a fry hatch or two coming soon , if not already , and this is my first year attempting to fish this system .

Is there good cuttie fishing all year ? or does the river close at some point ?  :-\

Thanks again .  :)

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
Re: Cutties on the Harrison River ....
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 07:49:17 AM »

You can try to fish below the Kilby boat launch or after heading east over the #7 bridge take the first left head up a km or so and there is a place you can park in a field close to the river, wade across chum spawning grounds to the main channel, the water is low enough to wade it, there are some small channels as you cross, try there or head across uop the river, there are a few spots that have slow moving water where the cliffs start.
Keep an eye out for them, it's like hunting, fry should be around,
Have fun!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

James

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 10:50:13 AM »

Thanks , so far i have learned that there is more "hunting" involed in these trout that there is for steelies , I won't be heading out till april , so i still have time to research and scout out some runs.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 07:54:28 PM »

I'm in the same boat, this is my first attempts at fiy fishing and fishing the Frazer for cutties. I was out today, what I've done is go to all the fish shops and talk to the guys in there, reaction fly sold me a book that gives directions to all the bars on the Frazer from hope down...the guy at chilliwack dart and tackle was very nice to me the last couple days with all my questions. i went out to a bar there today. (Chilliwack)

It was pretty cool, I'm a total beek at this as well so i spent a good hour wondering all around this giant bar looking for sign, finally it dawned on me i should probably be on the inland side doing this, the amount of 4wheeling is amazing out there...deep ruts everywhere...i found a heavy duty chain with the hooks on both ends and straps..brand new..laying in one...someone lost um..packed them back to the truck and moved over to the inland side...i walked all over it too and finally saw a fish roll, of course it was on the other side from me but i was able to wade near enough to cast out to it....didn't get a bite but it was still a helluva lot of fun...and then, the rain came...wow, you can watch it roll in...so i bailed out to my truck and left...i wanted to check out gill road but as it was pouring and my daughter had a softball game with the school, i decided to head home...pm or email me, I'll tell you what little i know or hear etc.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 08:05:01 PM by golfman65 »

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 12:15:15 AM »

"Noob question" where exactly is Harrison River (I haven't been to Harrison lake in almost 30 years)

2nd noob question, being I aint a fly fisherman, what is it like for us gear chuckers?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 12:25:58 AM »

East of the Chehalis River

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 12:36:43 AM »

East of the Chehalis River

Uh ok.... like I actually know where Chehalis is.....

Thanks to Google however...

Harrison River
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Harrison River is a short but large tributary of the Fraser River, entering it near the community of Chehalis, British Columbia. The Harrison drains Harrison Lake and is the de facto continuation of the Lillooet River, which feeds the lake.

The Harrison is navigable, although in the days of the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush of 1858-60 it was necessary to dredge the sandbars at the confluence with the Fraser, which were known as "the Riffles". There are also small rapids and difficult water in the first stretch of the river downstream from Harrison Lake, which is a forested canyon.

Below the confluence of the Chehalis River, at the bridge between Chehalis and the Municipality of Kent, the river widens into a wide backwater, Harrison Bay, then from there joins the Fraser. In addition to the aforementioned bridge (Hwy 7) the Harrison is also crossed by the mainline of the Canadian Pacific Railway.

The Harrison was a component of the water-and-wagonroad route to the Interior during the gold rush, the Douglas Road.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 06:42:27 PM »

From the bridge that crosses the harrison you can walk to all sorts of great water.  I dont see why everyone is having such a hard time finding these fish!!....just look for sunken wood in slow or slack water at ANY depth it seems...  I use a size 10 2x rolled muddler with a tiny bit of angel hair in the wing...havent been skunked yet, even during that really cold snap we had.  Almost all the hits have come during a pause in the retrieve.  I cant wait until next month to start seeing some big ones roll in...

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 07:24:25 PM »

Nice to hear your getting into them Marmot.

The water in the Harrison is low i hear, at Kilby would it be too low to launch a boat( cartopper) or should I say do you have to wade it to deeper water before getting in?

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 11:59:39 PM »

As for the map question, down load "Google Earth" and scroll over above Chilliwack, the picture is excellent and you can even see depths. This is important when deciding where to fish. Right now I would fish the feeder rivers to the Harrison. When the weather warms I've had luck all over but alot of the time I find the where the logs are all tied-up down from Kilby can be ok. Mind you I run the river in my little boat. It is a big river, but can be alot of fun once you find them. :D

RD you can huck gear at them too, try some little spinners, maybe a mepps? I haven't chucked gear for them there myself but would be worth a shot. As is when I chuck feathers, aim above the school.