Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Doesn't this remind you of Sockeye fishing ???? March 11th Vedder  (Read 5073 times)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
Re: Doesn't this remind you of Sockeye fishing ???? March 11th Vedder
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2006, 08:15:55 PM »

Is this Cammer with the dog Colman?
Fish on!

fishfinder

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2006, 08:19:48 PM »

Cammer, you hit the nail on the head. Too many guys need to show the catch of the day.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2006, 08:26:03 PM »

Why doesn't anyone explain that yesterday's crowding was due to the fact that there was a River Rat's derby in the area with 150+ participants?! There was plenty of decent water available in the mid and upper river.

And cammer, you sound too bitter, man! Time for you to go fishing or change hobbies! If nobody ever posted a fishing report, internet fishing fora would all go the way of the Dodo bird.  ::)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2006, 08:29:05 PM »

mostly because its like that every day.
Fish on!

SNAFU

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2006, 08:44:02 PM »

Whoa!

I would not go as far as associating posts that provide fishing reports, pictures and stories with gloating.

IMO, this forum is a vehicle for sharing information with fellow anglers....and a damn good one at that!  Rod and his fellow moderators are doing an outstanding job.

If one cannot post fishing reports, pictures, stories and the like, then what should one post????

The irony of it is; those that are complaining here would likely be the first to post "Any Reports?"...if we stop posting reports altogether.....

my $0.02

SNAFU

river walker

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2006, 09:05:05 PM »

Yeah, that spot stacks fish allright.  I bet that the fish trapped in there feel like pin cushions and have been hooked a dozen times a day. 

In December though We had the spot to ourselves and hooked the shhhite outta them then to!

if you walk though, you will without a doubt find fish stacked like that and have the place to yourself.
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2006, 10:16:25 PM »

soxaroo,

Are you serious? If you're not joking then I have to take offense to anybody calling Chris & Nick beaks. Name me a couple of guys who care more about and are willing to do more for sport fishing in the Valley and I'll eat the five year old roe you may call bait... The only reason either of those two would be in the middle of that crap hole below Lickman is to collect fish for the hatchery. 
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2006, 10:22:44 PM »

Sorry I don't buy the fishing report factor in crowding at any one spot.  Way back when I first started, at least 10 years before internet was even around, most meat holes in the Vedder were lined up with people. They came without any online fishing reports. During the coho season, you could'nt crack a spot in Tamahi or the Limit Hole. During the steelhead season, the Bergman area was the meat hole because the river formed a bottle neck there.  One morning in early march, over 50+ steels were hooked, and the place was flooded with people from before first night. During my young hot blood days of fishing, I tried to dare the crowd & showed up at Bergman meathole one morning in total darkness, only to find the place lined with people in the dark, reconizable by the lighted cigarettes in a line.  I gave up the lower river after that & enjoy my serenity in the areas of the rapids.

What has crowding to do with a fishery report today?  Gas is too expensive now for people to go steelheading anyways. Most know that their chance for a take-home steelhead is quite low, regardlessly what other's fishing result was like the day before. Perhaps that is why they try to focus on 'the more sure' spots such as Lickman.  Not many newer fishers know where to start, and many just go where fishing has been consistently hot.  If you notice Chris', mine, and other posters' reports, no one name their fishing spots. I am still trying to figure out the 'Diving Board Run' in Chris's report.... I was constantly looking for the diving board in the river.... ;D

I am with Johnny's position, to each his own.  If you like or can live with crowd, go to Lickman, if you don't, go hide in the bush or hike in bear country. As long as fish are caught legally, and fish are biting, and someone does not mind the crowd, so be it. I don't like that type of fishing, but I respect others' choices. Personally I wish the river would rise & push those fish at Lickman out of there and not be like sitting ducks there. Enjoy your day out and fish in peace.  :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 10:37:27 PM by funfish »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2006, 10:37:18 PM »

Yep, exponential growth of fishing pressure on the Chilliwack River has been driven by the establishment of Fishing with Rod in 2001. :)

Because of this website, clowns, beaks, flossers, dredgers, heroes and <add characters who you dislike> purposely gather at your favorite spot just to ruin your fishing outing.

Before we go any further, we should clarify the definition of the above terms.

Clowns and beaks are people who like to socialize and fish together in a group. :)

Those who fish in a group must also be using long leaders and dredging the bottom, therefore unethical. :)

All of them who gather together at one spot in the photo, must have all read a report on March 10th on Fishing with Rod. :)

The amount of stereotyping in this thread is amazing, embarrassing too. Do you people speak like this to your friends and family?

So a photo with a dozen guys fishing together in one run, and immediately they are clowns? Were you there and had an unpleasant experience that was caused by these people? Were you there to examine their fishing techniques and setup to conclude that their fishing methods were unacceptable (note, unacceptable and illegal are completely different)? Has it occured to anyone that... this photo was taken on a Saturday, when a major derby was also happening?

What if...

What if these people all know each other, and were fishing together as a group?

What if they were enjoying themselves while doing so? (No.... That couldn't have possibly happened...)

Do you feel special by being negative about other people's fishing days?

Has it ever occured to anyone that, all of these anglers have bought a freshwater fishing licence and have as much right as you to participate?

Has it ever occured to anyone that, the population of Vancouver is um... slightly higher than 10, 20 years ago?

A disappointing thread to see indeed.

On the other hand, I see Milo had a good day: http://forum.fishbc.com/index.php?showtopic=31517

Like what Johnny said, to each of his or her own. You want to fish with people, fish with people. If you don't like crowd, don't stand around them and complain about it. Do you purposely stand around a garbage dump and complain about the smell? You want solitude, fish somewhere else.

soxaroo, you're getting slightly over the line by the way. That much closer to meet . Feel free to stay away from the discussions if you dislike the ways things are operated here, even though your constructive criticisms (uh ya...) on the state of our fisheries would be highly missed...

Cammer, there is a difference between a good fisherman, and a good fisherman who is respected. Guess which one people prefer to be around with?

We all maybe out there for the different reasons, but we are still participating in the same activity. Respect one another. The day when you should start whining is when this river becomes empty of both fishermen and fish.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2006, 10:41:30 PM »

i agree i have been laughing at alot of these posts. fish somewhere else if its so bad ???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2006, 10:47:00 PM »

Thread locked by original poster's request.