Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 47

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 298507 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer

On a side note, are there wolves in the Chilliwack valley? As i was driving back down river, below the prison but before Allison Pool, I thought for sure I saw a wolf. It was too big to be a coyote, I would guess in the 70-80lb range and was predominantly black with some grey or beige. It was running down the road but as I got closer, it darted off  into thick brush on the other side of the road.

One year, on the backside of Wilson road (the mail box run) - in between there and the Osbourne road pool - I came across a pack of 5 wolves that followed me for 10 or so minutes before taking off. This was the year of an extremely high early snow pack, similar to this year (I think it was 6 or so years ago). I also came across 3 cougars on the Vedder that year (the only time I've ever seen them). People didn't believe me, saying they were a stray pack of dogs from the reserve.

They were very large. All 5 were completely jet black with not much other colour to note of - this large size and same colour throughout wouldn't occur with stray dogs. Later that same season my buddy saw the same pack of 5 in the same area. I've never seen another one since, but I don't fish nearly as much in this area. I've since seen a number of wolves on the island, and the ones on the island were actually smaller than that pack I saw in the Chilliwack Valley. The ones on the island are similar looking to coyotes in colour, but larger. 

buckjr

I spend a fair amount of time in the Chilliwack River Valley and 2 years ago I observed what I figured was a wolf along the lake road but closer to Chilliwack Lake. Much larger than a coyote and more black in colour. I have not seen any tracks in my travels but they certainly could be there. I hope they don't get established in the area as they will certainly make for tougher deer hunting.

DRP79

Im glad I was in the car when I saw it cause I had just walked that stretch of road to get back to the car. Bears and cougars are usually a thought in the back of my head, particularly when I go to the upper. I had bear spray in my sling and I keep my knife easily accessible just in case but wolves hadnt crossed my mind till yesterday. I would hate to come across one in the woods let alone 5. I remember hearing of a cougar sighting last year in the mid river Wilson Rd area.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante

Was told today a slide came down at Slesse Clay Slides this AM, blocked the access to the resident who lives there.
.........that log house sat empty for years..thought they wouldn't let old nick move in because of it ...then it gets sold and the new owners move in and build another house on the other side close to where the creek there blew out and flooded/scoured...not to mention the river is always looking to flood over/chew its way through there...very active/changing area from Allisons down to the trailer park...
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

SilverChaser

Wolves in the valley huh? I hunt a ton up in the Okanagan/Kootenays/Omenica regions come the hunting season. This was my 6th year and I saw my first wolf this year. Coming back to the 'Wack, you'd never think to see one in the Valley  ;D but it very well is possible. The Valley practically runs East/West to the border, and just over the mountains by Chilliwack Lake drops you right down into the Skagit. About 8 years ago or so, on a day trip to the Skagit with my dad, we had 2 big dogs run in front of us, but we weren't sure if they were 'yotes or wolves.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

TheLostSockeye

Im glad I was in the car when I saw it cause I had just walked that stretch of road to get back to the car. Bears and cougars are usually a thought in the back of my head, particularly when I go to the upper. I had bear spray in my sling and I keep my knife easily accessible just in case but wolves hadnt crossed my mind till yesterday. I would hate to come across one in the woods let alone 5. I remember hearing of a cougar sighting last year in the mid river Wilson Rd area.

I saw a cougar lower river this year. Was literally just walking on the Rotary trail LMAO! Man do those cats ever move fast! They are also very big! Last summer i also saw a different cougar in the lower again but on the opposite side of the river.

I have ran into 6 bears this year. Thankfully they all got spooked. 2 of the encounters were face to face with me and the bear being 5 feet apart.

ByteMe

Pick up a small bell and tie it to your pack. Make noise when walking through bush area if you are alone, cough, fart, burp........you will be allright
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

wizard

Came across Cougar track on a frosted boulder mid river couple years ago, not a huge cat but decent size.  Saw a feral dog in the same area, looked like a scruffy husky/lab mutt. just ignored me as it briskly walked by...probably looking for salmon carcasses.  Would be more worried about twisting my ankle on rocks or falling in the river then being attacked by any wildlife in Chilliwack valley...I think it would be pretty cool to see a wolf or a cougar in the area however. 

GENERAL-SHERMAN

Seen cougars around mid river in the wack... Even more bobcat and bear... I have hike hunted quite a few years up the valley never saw anything other than large tracks... Quite a few years back there was a very large pack of coyotes living around waistefield to gun barrel area. Saw some serious yote sign towards the military area directly above gun barrel as well. Pretty big tracks for coyotes. Dunno what everyday saw but I wouldn't put it past a wolf or 2 in the valley. Moose have been seen as far down as the ford mtn prison just a few seasons ago. Why not a wolf? I have pics of a bobcat from lickman rd area in the early summer. One week I must have walked by 30+ rabbits from lickman to upper peach area after the bobcat I went back the next week and it was a ghost town.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:23:35 PM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

I see Cougars jogging up and down the rotary trail all the time. ;)

SilverChaser

Fished Mid and Upper today. Water 6"-12" below Allison and that nice steelhead green above Allison. Cut the trip short as the rain moved in.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

Drewhill

Is the water levels graph down right now? Can't seem to get it running and I wouldn't mind checking out the levels for tomorrow.

Dave

• Old Timer

I saw a cougar lower river this year. Was literally just walking on the Rotary trail LMAO! Man do those cats ever move fast! They are also very big! Last summer i also saw a different cougar in the lower again but on the opposite side of the rive
Did you report these sightings to the COS? They take cougar sightings very seriously as there are hundreds of people using the Rotary Trail daily, me included. Where exactly did you see these animals, and when?

Six bears, two 5 feet away ... how is that possible TLS?  Please give us the story ::)

Every Day

• Old Timer

I had one bear come out 20 feet behind me at prison (near the top end) on November 3rd this year. The disturbing thing is that when I looked at him and yelled at him, he popped his jaws and rocked his head a few times. I eventually got him to wander off with more yelling and swinging of my rod, nearly to the point where I was hitting him with my rod with how close he got. He didn't run, but rather slowly walked away. Hopefully someone hasn't been feeding him with the aggressive behavior he showed to me.

The other 4 bears I ran into in the upper this year took off as soon as they saw me.

I agree with Dave though. A cougar in the lower is a problem. Too many people using that area. The ones I've seen were all in the upper and only posed a problem to fisherman, not families with small children.

sugartooth

I saw what I thought was a wolf about two weeks ago just below Allison pools. Darted down the road and in to the bush before I could get a good look at it.
Noticed a dear carcass on the side of the road today up above the active correctional facility. Looked like some sort of animals had been feeding on it. Also noticed a dump truck load of yellow garbage bags dumped at one of the entrances to a gated service road up there.  There were literally enough bags to fill a  Dump truck.
Chris is correct about a slide a sleese park. Went up that way and had a look for myself. I will try and post pics later.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 47