Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2015/16 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 298507 times)

Nicolas The Fisherman

River looking quite a bit better this morning with improved visibility. Still a tad high for my liking, but if the rain holds off I'll be out there hunting steel tomorrow morning. ;)

Rammerz

Two fish caught today plus apparently one got weighed in this afternoon. Water is finally starting to come around, but man has the river changed from last year!

Nicolas The Fisherman

Conditions improved greatly from yesterday morning to the afternoon. River starting to shape up nicely. Lots of new runs to fish now. Things should be good for the next few days with this cooler weather. You can check out my report from yesterday under the report's section if you'd like ;)

Nicolas The Fisherman

Conditions good this morning, but it was very cold. It was snowing a bit here in Chilliwack earlier but it has since stopped. Environment Canada has issued a snowfall warning for parts of the Valley including Chilliwack, claiming 10-15 cm of snow is expected with most of the snow expected to fall tonight into tomorrow morning. Be extra careful on those roads if you're heading out tomorrow!

Blackrt03

Thanks for the update

SilverChaser

Went for a little adventure this morning. Nothing hooked. Vis was around 12-18". Quite a few new runs to fish!
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?

raining hard in the wack this evening. mix of rain and snow in the upper areas.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante

...decided to take advantage of the break in the weather and take the dog out and do some scouting.....checked behind "on the way" and saw the changes 2 (3m) high waters can make...found some water that might be ok when levels drop....water was really chalky....fair number of anglers around...checked higher and found snow on the ground and even some still on the road from thompson park up..went as far as allisons where the vis was better..most of the clay bleed coming from slesse park/tolmie slides...
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

DRP79

Ventured out today myself. Last minute I put the pin setup back in the house and decided to go with just the spinning setup. Wasnt the best choice. From about Tamahi down was pretty colored up. Went up to the prison area and did alot more hiking than fishing. Water is still a bit high but up top it was good visibility at about 2-3 feet. Tamahi down was about 12-18 inches.

On a side note, are there wolves in the Chilliwack valley? As i was driving back down river, below the prison but before Allison Pool, I thought for sure I saw a wolf. It was too big to be a coyote, I would guess in the 70-80lb range and was predominantly black with some grey or beige. It was running down the road but as I got closer, it darted off  into thick brush on the other side of the road.

clarkii

• Old Timer

On a side note, are there wolves in the Chilliwack valley? As i was driving back down river, below the prison but before Allison Pool, I thought for sure I saw a wolf. It was too big to be a coyote, I would guess in the 70-80lb range and was predominantly black with some grey or beige. It was running down the road but as I got closer, it darted off  into thick brush on the other side of the road.
Wouldn't be surprised.   Some of the wolves in Washington moved in through the cascades.

fisher85

Nice day today on the river visibility was maybe 12-18" no hits but it's still early did more hiking than fishing but scoped some good spots water went lower and lower throughout the day (fished all day)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

...decided to take advantage of the break in the weather and take the dog out and do some scouting.....checked behind "on the way" and saw the changes 2 (3m) high waters can make...found some water that might be ok when levels drop....water was really chalky....fair number of anglers around...checked higher and found snow on the ground and even some still on the road from thompson park up..went as far as allisons where the vis was better..most of the clay bleed coming from slesse park/tolmie slides...
Was told today a slide came down at Slesse Clay Slides this AM, blocked the access to the resident who lives there.

Dave

• Old Timer

I have heard of a few reports of wolves in the Chilliwack River valley over the years, one from a man who would definitely know a wolf from a coyote or lost/stray wolfish looking dog.  They are in the Pitt watershed, probably the Skagit, why not the Chilliwack?
Consider yourself fortunate to have seen one Don :)  As you know I have travelled extensively throughout the Fraser River watershed and although I have heard many howling, I have only actually seen three.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Ventured out today myself. Last minute I put the pin setup back in the house and decided to go with just the spinning setup. Wasnt the best choice. From about Tamahi down was pretty colored up. Went up to the prison area and did alot more hiking than fishing. Water is still a bit high but up top it was good visibility at about 2-3 feet. Tamahi down was about 12-18 inches.

On a side note, are there wolves in the Chilliwack valley? As i was driving back down river, below the prison but before Allison Pool, I thought for sure I saw a wolf. It was too big to be a coyote, I would guess in the 70-80lb range ..

I have been told wolves have big bushy tails. Coyote tails are rather thin. Wolves and coyotes can interbreed as has happened in eastern Canada and the Martimes leaving a larger more aggresive form of coyote such as those in Cape Breton Highlands National Park that killed Taylor Josephine Stephanie Luciow in 2009.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

swimmingwiththefishes

Was told today a slide came down at Slesse Clay Slides this AM, blocked the access to the resident who lives there.
That would explain the poor water conditions this AM.Was surprised to see the river that dirty with the colder weather.

Seemed to have cleared up a bit by the afternoon.