Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you floatfish in the tidal Fraser?  (Read 4469 times)

aaron.az

Can you floatfish in the tidal Fraser?
« on: October 29, 2012, 06:20:44 PM »

I know this seems like a bit of a stupid question, but i cant get my bar rod and holder onto the bus . damn you insurance prices and school fees! So instead of fishing with a bottom bar rig, anyone ever have success throwing a float out and letting it sit their somewhat Stationary. I would figure it COULD work?

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: Can you floatfish in the tidal Fraser?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »

how about this...toss hardware and retrieve. you don't need a rod holder or bait or a "big" rod. just a nice little box of lures. If there's some vis you have a chance of connecting with a fish.
good luck

mistermongz

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »

What Vancook said. Was just about to write the same thing. I've had great success with hardware on the retrieve can be quite exciting.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 06:45:12 PM by mistermongz »
Fish on!!!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 09:08:39 PM »

If you can fish a float then why not use same rod and fish on the bottom and find a couple good v sticks like we used to do for rod holders?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 09:30:10 PM »

If you can fish a float then why not use same rod and fish on the bottom and find a couple good v sticks like we used to do for rod holders?

What firstlight said. Make your own rod holder. Get yourself a stick with a V and plunk it into the ground and your good to go!!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:31:19 PM »

Bottom fishing is more commonly practiced than float fishing in the tidal portion (or also the non-tidal main stem) of the Fraser River because you are targeting salmon that are constantly moving. In a stream where runs and riffles are more defined, you can constantly drift your float and bait over fish which are holding at or moving into a particular spot. Fish use the Fraser River as a corridor to travel through to their natal streams, so they are constantly moving. By anchoring your bait on the bottom and letting scent travelling with the current, your goal is to intercept these moving fish by placing your bait at an ideal location and at an ideal time. If you are float fishing, your bait will be carried around by the current and you will need to constantly retrieve and recast. Your likelihood of intercepting a fish is a lot smaller when both your bait and your target fish are always moving. You also have to deal with keeping your bait near the bottom and the unknown depth of the murky Fraser makes that rather challenging. Lastly, because the frequency of bites is a lot lower than what you would experience in a stream, it doesn't seem worth it when you need to rebait often from casting and retrieving.

The problem with having a V stick as a rod holder is that the angle of the rod is not great. Ideally, your rod should be pointing slightly to the sky at the waist level so you can strike easily when there is a bite. Somebody should design a foldable rod holder, mass produce it, it'd go out of the stores like hot cakes.

I have float fished at times with roe in the tidal portion of the Fraser River and had some success in the past with trout, char and jacks. When the tide peaks and current is almost absent, that can be a better alternative. By allowing your bait to slowly drifting around, you just might have more success than anchored bait because scent is not being carried around as much due to the lack of current at high tide.

Try it and let us know how it goes. Good luck.

aaron.az

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:07:21 PM »

Thanks rodney! Haha thats exactly the reply i was looking for. Haha i know how to fish on the bottom with bar rig. I just wanted to know why have i never seen any float fish . Guess ur right since it is moving a bit gonna drift in for sure slowly. Maybe ill try my luck doing both. Seems alog of people are apposed to the idea before ever trying it. As for the collapsable rod holder. I should look into it, even for making one for myself

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 11:10:20 PM »

why can you not get your gear on the bus? :-\
best portable rod holder i have seen is a small bucket  (or large for more than one rod) with a piece of plastic tube strapped inside (drill two holes in the bucket the width of the tube near the  top and bottom and use zap straps to hold tube in place)
you then just fill the bucket with rocks or/and water as a weight

aaron.az

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 11:37:56 PM »

Usually i put my smaller 7ft rod. Break it down 2pc. Put it in my bag most of it some hangs out. A heavy metre long peice of pipe on the other hand isnt so easy to transport in my opinion

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 11:48:57 PM »

Or you can do what I used to do without a rod holder, simply fish on the rocks instead of from the top of the dyke. Lay the rod sideways on the rocks and find a rock to sit on so the rod is at your waist level. Just pick up the rod as soon as you get a bite, reel in a bit while pointing the rod forward to pick up the slack, so you have enough room to set the hook.

aaron.az

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 11:58:57 PM »

Haha i just got a new shimano symetre 4000 i wouldnt want to get it dirty just yet rodney ;) haha kidding but i always try to give me reels a good wipe down anyways. Quick question rod i have a 7ft medium daiwa rod think its rated 6-12lbs. 1/4-3/4 lures. Should i be scared throwing out 2oz of weight?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 12:09:36 AM »

That depends on how rich you are. I'd be scared. Best not to use weights exceeding the recommended casting weights, especially if the rod is soft.

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 10:02:13 AM »

float fishing in the tidal Fraser for pinks is a totally different story  ;D
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Derek Mcl

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 05:23:42 PM »

The bar rod holder that I bought from Nikka in Richmond about 7 years ago wasn't very heavy.  It is made of thin iron coated in vinyl.  It pivots where the stake meets the rod holder, so it is quite sleek.  The rod holder part simply has a "U" bent into each end of the rod holder, but in opposite directions.

While it is quite light, it won't fit into your back pack.  Folded up, it weighs about a pound and is perhaps shoulder height.  I wouldn't hesitate to drag it onto the bus.  It will make a nice conversation piece!

cohoaaron

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »

float fishing in the tidal Fraser for pinks is a totally different story  ;D
i was going to ask if anyones ever done that, have you with much sucess?