Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: frozen roe  (Read 11738 times)

frozensalmon

frozen roe
« on: October 20, 2011, 03:31:10 PM »

hi I have 2 big pieces of frozen roe (raw, un-cured) taken out and let it cool down , plan to cure it as bait, after defrozing, I realized that the roe turn into red and sticky
(normally that's how people make ikura, the way to eat roe japanese way)

just wondering if that's good to cure it?

or does it always have to be fresh roe to be cured?

more coho, more coho... ::)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: frozen roe
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 03:43:48 PM »

Get some Double Red Pro Cure and pour it ontop of the roe. I used frozen roe from 2 years ago marinated with Procure and it still work.

It will take 3 to 4 days of preparation though. Let the procure juice soak completely inside the skeins.

frozensalmon

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »

awesome! thanks so much

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 07:59:30 PM »

There are a few threads on roe in the forum here. Just follow the simple directions, make sure you spend the time to make sure it is packaged for the freezer in the right manor and you will be surprised how long it will last and be ready for fishing.

frozensalmon

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 10:04:37 PM »

There are a few threads on roe in the forum here. Just follow the simple directions, make sure you spend the time to make sure it is packaged for the freezer in the right manor and you will be surprised how long it will last and be ready for fishing.

I know how to make and store roe, I asked if the frozen raw roe can be cured after defrozing

Nitroholic

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 10:11:49 PM »

I know how to make and store roe, I asked if the frozen raw roe can be cured after defrozing

its called thawing or defrosting...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:35:14 AM by Nitroholic »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 12:41:52 AM »

it called thawing or defrosting...

Hahaha!!!

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 12:30:18 PM »

Defrozing roe won't as well as fresh roe.

Oilcruzer

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »

Defrozing roe won't as well as fresh roe.

So use undefrozing then?

azafai

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 10:06:45 AM »

the answer is yes.
of course, it works.  the question is how good you handled it before freezing and how naturally you let it thaw.  

52buick

• These pretzels are making me thirsty!!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 12:24:44 AM »

My experience has been that frozen, uncured roe is a mess. What usually happens is the liquid in the roe cracks or splits the egg's skin as it freezes. You might luck out and have some salvageable roe but chances are that its going to be a gooey mess. 

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 12:52:21 AM »

Frozen roe is usually pretty bad.  When you gut a doe, remove the skeins from the fish, and immediately place in a ziploc freezer bag brought along for this purpose.  When you get home, butterfly the skein like you would a chicken breast and then place skeins on a plate, on paper towel in the fridge and leave overnight.  The fridge will have a dehumidifier that will pull some moisture off the skein.

At this point, you can borax the roe (tough, natural looking, good for clear water) or cure it with a commercial cure.  Keep it simple, it works best, don't mess around with adding special ingredients, it usually ends with mediocre results. 

To borax skeins, sprinkle a dusting of borax over the skeins and in between the folds of the skins making sure the skein is completely covered. Place in bag with borax at about a ratio of 2:1 skeins to borax.

To cure with Procure, put on gloves and go outside, as it stains everything within a few feet.  Seriously.  Then sprinkle skeins with a dusting of cure like you would have done with the borax.  Shake off excess cure after skeins have a dusting of cure.  A little goes a pretty long way.  Place coated skeins in a jar, bucket, bag somewhere cool.  After a few minutes, the eggs will start to juice.  The juice will ooze out of the eggs, then after a day or so, it will get pulled back in the eggs (it really works!).  Once most of the juice is re-absorbed, remove the skeins, place on a newpaper covered in borax and aim a fan at the skeins.  Once dry-ish feeling, flip, wait again,.  When the skein itself feels a little bit like soft fine leather, shut off fan, sprinkle borax over the skeins, and place in ziploc with borax, again, ratio of about 2:1 skeins to borax.

At this point, you can either freeze the roe after forcing most of the air out of the bag, or keep in fridge for up to 2 weeks before it starts to smell slightly like fish.

frozensalmon

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 01:12:59 AM »

thx for the detail

I used the frozen roe and cure it with procure, lots of juice coming out since the raw roe was already in moist, sticky, red stage after defrozing
tried them in vedder, and it works! lots of bite ,   I'm actually surprised it works that good

note that I cured them a night before, it was never been in freezer after cure, also I kept all the juice with the roe.

matrix111

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 09:17:29 AM »

i had some raw coho roe from last week and stored currently on the freezer.  I won't be fishing till maybe next year. Should i cure it now and freeze it? Or keep it uncured and cure it on the next vedder outing?

frozensalmon

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 10:10:49 AM »

according to procure instruction, if you cure it you can put in freezer for like 1 year or so