Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Etiquette  (Read 53262 times)

Walleye76

Re: Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2016, 08:47:40 AM »

Different fisheries = different approaches .... Seems to me your comparing salmon season with steelhead season... Hunting down steel that are spread out within a system or waiting for the next "push" of salmon to come through are two very different approaches. Applying "etiquette" from one approach on the other (when speaking of rotational angling or how many guys can fit in a pool)just doesn't work. Although finding a "spot" to fit into a pool and claiming it for an extended period of time(fence posting) while waiting for the fish to come to you does happen in steelhead season(usually by rookie/less experienced steelheaders) it is not the most productive way to approach this fishery. As opposed to salmon season where schools are pushing up river and your essentially waiting for the next push to come through a specific run. If you approach steelheading with the same mindset you use during salmon season then realistically "low holing" doesn't really exist and the frustrations/issues of the "steelheaders" complain about above don't make much sense to you. Each fishery, weather it be salmon or steelhead in smaller rivers,still water trout fishing or sturgeon in the Fraser do share some common overall etiquette (respect other anglers, the fish, the environment your in, etc.) the methods in which the fisheries are approached are different and bring about different etiquette. So IMO trying to apply one set of "ettiequte" to all fisheries is the major disconnect. Know the fishery/species you are targeting and adjust your techniques/etiquette to each specific one.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:07:58 AM by Walleye76 »

Drewhill

« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2016, 09:13:38 AM »

Different fisheries = different approaches .... Seems to me your comparing salmon season with steelhead season... Hunting down steel that are spread out within a system or waiting for the next "push" of salmon to come through are two very different approaches. Applying "etiquette" from one approach on the other (when speaking of rotational angling or how many guys can fit in a pool)just doesn't work. Although finding a "spot" to fit into a pool and claiming it for an extended period of time(fence posting) while waiting for the fish to come to you does happen in steelhead season(usually by rookie/less experienced steelheaders) it is not the most productive way to approach this fishery. As opposed to salmon season where schools are pushing up river and your essentially waiting for the next push to come through a specific run. If you approach steelheading with the same mindset you use during salmon season then realistically "low holing" doesn't really exist and the frustrations/issues of the "steelheaders" complain about above don't make much sense to you. Each fishery, weather it be salmon or steelhead in smaller rivers,still water trout fishing or sturgeon in the Fraser do share some common overall etiquette (respect other anglers, the fish, the environment your in, etc.) the methods in which the fisheries are approached are different and bring about different etiquette. So IMO trying to apply one set of "ettiequte" to all fisheries is the major disconnect. Know the fishery/species you are targeting and adjust your techniques/etiquette to each specific one.

x2, exactly right

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2016, 09:34:26 AM »

Also, on the Cap (and other rivers) the number of cars parked at a particular spot also dictate if the hike will be worth it.
I usually have a plan B, C, D... And something PVR-ed; if I haven't travelled too far 8)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2016, 03:36:57 PM »

At the Cap when people are in my "secret" spot I turn away and find somewhere else to fish or go observe Cable Pool for a few giggles.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2016, 09:38:17 PM »

So IMO trying to apply one set of "ettiequte" to all fisheries is the major disconnect. Know the fishery/species you are targeting and adjust your techniques/etiquette to each specific one.

Yes, and no. My own "set of etiquette" is not so specific as it involves not doing something that has a reasonable chance it will spoil another angler's enjoyment (low holing in steelhead season or crowding in beside them in salmon season), so it is indeed a set that I can apply to any situation in any season.  It also allows me to shrug off the loser that low holes me when he can clearly see me working down the run, then complain that I am crowding him as I continue down to where he is.  Since he is being unreasonable, I can continue on knowing I am not the reason he is not enjoying himself (it is his own sour attitude).
Not all those who wander are lost

Walleye76

« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2016, 07:52:29 AM »

Yes, and no. My own "set of etiquette" is not so specific as it involves not doing something that has a reasonable chance it will spoil another angler's enjoyment (low holing in steelhead season or crowding in beside them in salmon season), so it is indeed a set that I can apply to any situation in any season.  It also allows me to shrug off the loser that low holes me when he can clearly see me working down the run, then complain that I am crowding him as I continue down to where he is.  Since he is being unreasonable, I can continue on knowing I am not the reason he is not enjoying himself (it is his own sour attitude).

Agreed! I would include that in the "common ettiequte" I referred to. I was meaning that different fisheries/technics can also require different aspects/forms of etiquette along with  the standard common decency/respect aspects.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:04:06 AM by Walleye76 »

hrenya

« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »

how about this ?!

on Saturday I met up with 2 buddys of mine and a guy who said he will teach me steelhead fishing (really nice friendly person , we txt`ed a lot , quite a few email , and finally we met up!!!) , we headed to a river , we fished lower and moved up after a bit . My bud and my teacher got above the crowd of guys fishing "kinda in a middle" , I checked water and decided to fish below them , cuz they were stuck to "their" spot , after I asked a guy lowest to the run - can I fish below you ? - you should see his eyes , I bet he never heard this , next thing he said - sure ... I spent 10-15 mins and head to my bud and teacher . One of the guys from the crowd was b/b :)))) and his line did crossed with my teacher`s line ... that guy just cut it of ....
where is common sense ?! b/b vs float fishing ? :D
after a while situation became really bad , and I asked a few times my teacher to leave those guys and head to different spot . 1 of the guys from "crowd that owns that spot" came to him and said that it wasn`t right to cut his line w/o asking him or any attempts trying to fix the crossline situation . The guy who cut line of my teacher was yelling - this is not vedder/Chilliwack , your rules don't apply here ... 
You guys can still argue about my opinion about that flyfisherman , but this situation is sooooo wrong ....

p.s. my teacher stopped fishing when I got to them and start telling me and my bud about water , how and where sh might be , he explained more time than he was fishing .... 
p.p.s. me and buds left around 12 , and head hoping for some trout in upper lakes , we came back couple hours after - same "crowd" , same spot .... 

what do you think about about it ?! combat sh fishing ? :D that sounds SOOOOOOOOO WROOOOONG

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2016, 05:12:13 PM »

how about this ?!

on Saturday I met up with 2 buddys of mine and a guy who said he will teach me steelhead fishing (really nice friendly person , we txt`ed a lot , quite a few email , and finally we met up!!!) , we headed to a river , we fished lower and moved up after a bit . My bud and my teacher got above the crowd of guys fishing "kinda in a middle" , I checked water and decided to fish below them , cuz they were stuck to "their" spot , after I asked a guy lowest to the run - can I fish below you ? - you should see his eyes , I bet he never heard this , next thing he said - sure ... I spent 10-15 mins and head to my bud and teacher . One of the guys from the crowd was b/b :)))) and his line did crossed with my teacher`s line ... that guy just cut it of ....
where is common sense ?! b/b vs float fishing ? :D
after a while situation became really bad , and I asked a few times my teacher to leave those guys and head to different spot . 1 of the guys from "crowd that owns that spot" came to him and said that it wasn`t right to cut his line w/o asking him or any attempts trying to fix the crossline situation . The guy who cut line of my teacher was yelling - this is not vedder/Chilliwack , your rules don't apply here ... 
You guys can still argue about my opinion about that flyfisherman , but this situation is sooooo wrong ....

p.s. my teacher stopped fishing when I got to them and start telling me and my bud about water , how and where sh might be , he explained more time than he was fishing .... 
p.p.s. me and buds left around 12 , and head hoping for some trout in upper lakes , we came back couple hours after - same "crowd" , same spot .... 

what do you think about about it ?! combat sh fishing ? :D that sounds SOOOOOOOOO WROOOOONG
Inform your teacher, he is teaching the wrong lessons. Inform him, he gets a D- and has failed the class.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2016, 05:44:09 PM »

Sorry Wiseguy.
Perhaps we need some clarification first.
Beyond fishing an apparently crowded area...
Who's line crossed who's?
Who cut who's line?
It's easy to find dough heads anywhere and just as easy to avoid them most of the time.

hrenya

« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2016, 07:47:48 PM »

Inform your teacher, he is teaching the wrong lessons. Inform him, he gets a D- and has failed the class.
I`m too polite to tell to you where to "go" and what to "do" ...

hrenya

« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2016, 07:50:18 PM »

Sorry Wiseguy.
Perhaps we need some clarification first.
Beyond fishing an apparently crowded area...
Who's line crossed who's?
Who cut who's line?
It's easy to find dough heads anywhere and just as easy to avoid them most of the time.

dude who was b/b with a really long leader , crossed over my teacher`s line , and after they had crossed lines he just cut it , without even asking ... plz note we were above them , and with all the crowd that was the only accident with crossed line cuz of b/b dude ....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2016, 08:03:37 PM »

I`m too polite to tell to you where to "go" and what to "do" ...

Quit asking for others' opinions and coming up with replies like the above when others give you their opinions unless you want to be deleted.

hrenya

« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2016, 08:20:18 PM »

Quit asking for others' opinions and coming up with replies like the above when others give you their opinions unless you want to be deleted.
I didn't ask his opinion , I  gave an example of "etiquette" on a river with "fence around some spots" during sh fishing , not salmon as some ppl mentioned above ... and I don't see anything wrong with my comment posted above , you can think of many ways to interpritate it

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2016, 08:30:37 PM »

You didn't?

what do you think about about it ?!

Tangles

« Reply #149 on: January 31, 2016, 10:46:35 PM »

So you ended up in a fight with the resident BB gang at Stave right  :P? If I guessed right then there's nothing you and your friends could have done better to prevent it...except avoid it altogether. Some places are just not worth the hassle. Unfortunately ignorant fishers can be found in all fisheries, there's staked out bars on Fraser where you can't fish like ever.. not much different than what you described. Just fish by a good standard, chin up and learn to move on, you can do better than some of those characters.