Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Etiquette  (Read 53247 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2016, 08:59:12 PM »

My dad and I fished next to an older gentleman on the canal years ago who was bar fishing, we each hooked up, the old guy hooked 7 in total finally landing the last, smallest fish he had hooked, bonked it and headed home. Did I mention this was in perhaps a 3hr span ??!!  :o :o

needless to say he got us thinking........now if bar fishing wasn't so damned boring most of the time  :-X
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

kanuckle head

« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2016, 09:24:47 PM »

The best payback of all time happened for me today I was low holed but did not react just kept the disapproval to my self
Even had him react as my fly line swung close to his float with a look towards me in his head shake, not looking for any confrontation at the least he did not fence post and moved through the run accordingly

But the poke on him was I hooked a steel right in front of him and when I landed the fish he came up to see the steelie and commented that was my fish.......no comment from me just smiled inside ;)     

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2016, 09:31:49 PM »

Nice. On the other hand, it sucks when mr low holer comes in and hooks one right below you.
If that's never happened to you, you need to fish more!!!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2016, 09:50:37 PM »

Nice. On the other hand, it sucks when mr low holer comes in and hooks one right below you.
If that's never happened to you, you need to fish more!!!

Hate this and it only ever happens to me when I'm out swinging flies. Every damn time the guy even stands there watching me work my way down before stepping in below me. I've even had other fly fishermen do it too !!!  >:(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2016, 10:14:01 PM »

Hate this and it only ever happens to me when I'm out swinging flies. Every damn time the guy even stands there watching me work my way down before stepping in below me. I've even had other fly fishermen do it too !!!  >:(

Sorry about that hook, but you were moving too slow and I could see it just sitting there, I had to steal it out from under you. :/)
Not all those who wander are lost

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2016, 10:34:09 AM »

On the grass side below the Keith Wilson Bridge, you can find 2 older gentlemen bar fishing with roe for steelhead. Sometimes I stop to talk to them and you should listen to some of their stories. They do amazingly well barfishing for them.

Anyways, sorry for opening up a can of worm on this matter.

I really really do not mind people walking down below me to fish. It is expected at the Vedder.

I was really surprised when this guy low holed me and gave me heck later when I got closer to him.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2016, 04:12:53 PM »

"you do not need..." If need is the criteria we are going to judge by than where do you draw the line? At issue was ones ability to control a pool. I would argue that if one is going to control an entire pool a heavy bar rod is better choice. A sturgeon rod is able to muscle in a fish faster than any fly rod. The longer a fish is played the more lactic acid builds up and the chance of the fishing dying after release goes up significantly. There is no need to increase the risk to the fish, but people choose to. It is about choice. If a person enjoys a certain method that is legal I don't care. Maybe they don't know another way, maybe they can only afford one rod and a bar rod gives them the most options, I don't know. If a person is following the laws, courteous, and takes into account how his actions will affect the fish I support whatever method they choose.

I fly fish, bar fish, spin cast, ice fish, have tried bow fishing, hand fishing and hope to try just about every method out there. Never cared for judging or dictating. At the end of the day, No one needs to fish!!!

Again, I never said I had a problem with using the sturgeon rod, I simply stated it was over kill.  It was Hrenya who first said using a fly rod was the wrong gear in peak season, and then said it was the same as him using a sturgeon rod and 20 oz weight.  He was the one suggesting the use of the sturgeon rod was as bad as someone using a fly rod to fish for salmon. I only took issue with him drawing a parallel between using a fly rod (there was nothing in Hrenya's post that suggested the fly rod being used was too weak to land a salmon quickly without undue stress (ie: 4wt for Springs), so your suggestion that the sturgeon rod, being a heavier rod is going to be better for the fish, holds no weight (pun intended)), to using a ridiculously heavy rod and weight.  Furthermore, fly caught fish have been shown to have lower mortalities by far than bait caught fish, whether float fishing or bar rigging (Schisler et al. 1996).  So if releasing fish is the goal, the likelihood of a deep hook set from a swallowed bait on a bar rig is going to offset any advantage the heavier rod will provide.   A fly rod is a perfectly legitimate rod to catch salmon, particularly an 8-10 wt rod for larger species and 6/7 for smaller pinks and coho, and can land a fish quickly with enough energy to ensure low mortality (provided proper landing techniques are used).  It was Hrenya that said fly fishing in peak season was wrong, as was using a sturgeon rod and 20 oz weight, because both would restrict other anglers from fishing shoulder to shoulder. I never did.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:16:14 PM by Sandman »

hrenya

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2016, 04:38:35 PM »

I really wasn`t trying to be mean about that guy learning how to fly fish , my biggest issue was him taking half a pool ... and from all the times I did fish cap (over 50 trips at least) , I never had that situation . My buddy flyfishes too , and he wasn`t really happy about that situation ever . That was the actual point of mine , but right away you guys start defending him that he has right to learn on a water , causing another dozen people problems and making their fishing NOT FUN . But since you said first come served - I said that I can do that same thing then , I can ask my bud and his bro to bring their flyfishing setups , I squezze in between of them with heavy weight and make sure they have another room to float on both sides of me , and we will take the whole pool . After that part all the negative reactions from you guys started to happen ... So let`s be honest , you protected him and said "big booo" to me , at least this is how I see a situation after all .

p.s. I wanna see you try to hook a fish with float in a really deep pool with flow in it . Imo bar rig and heavy weight is the only way to get you presentation in a right place .
p.p.s. I was watching so many people loosing springs when they hit rapids and were gone with hook  , weight and a few feet of line in their mouth ... maybe I try to avoid this kinda situations ?

hrenya

« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2016, 04:42:23 PM »

My brother (same guy in hryena's story who started bar fishing on Nicomen beside all the float guys and caught the first fish) threw a bar rig with roe in the middle of the pool and proceeded to hook and lose 2 of white chinook, haha. It works, but, floating is way easier and less expensive than snagging bottom over and over in small rivers unlike the fraser. However I wouldnt roll up to a run with people float fishing and throw a bar rig oit  ;D.. Might run inyo a problem or two
Tell em about those flyfishing guys :) how by the time we were leaving they setup bar rig on flyrod/reel/lines :D and people were making fun of me with bar fishing with pin :D

p.s. don't forget to mention that you were 2nd guy who caught NICE COHO on a bar rig too :D and how all the people around after that setup bar rigs ;))))

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:47:28 PM by hrenya »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2016, 04:50:10 PM »

Hrenya, are you looney tunes man? Get over it. Fish whatever way you dam well please. Milo, Sandman, Rod or anyone cannot stop you from doing what you want.
If someone's fishing is causing you to not have fun, I've got a real quick solution for you and I think you know the answer.
If I want to stand up to my nipples and swing my 13' Spey rod around like a maniac while making helicopter noises, then I'm going to do it. And there's nothing you can do to stop me. So hit the trail, on to the next pool, cause if I get there first you'd better believe I'll be handing out free piercings if anyone gets too close.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2016, 04:55:26 PM »

I said that I can do that same thing then , I can ask my bud and his bro to bring their flyfishing setups , I squezze in between of them with heavy weight and make sure they have another room to float on both sides of me , and we will take the whole pool .

Absolutely you can.  If you guys get there first and set up like that then that is totally okay.  Anyone coming in afterwards would need to find other water to fish.  There are already 12 guys on one side and you three on your side, I can't see anyone else wanting in there anyway.

hrenya

« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2016, 05:53:52 PM »

Absolutely you can.  If you guys get there first and set up like that then that is totally okay.  Anyone coming in afterwards would need to find other water to fish.  There are already 12 guys on one side and you three on your side, I can't see anyone else wanting in there anyway.
u r kidding me ? dude took half a pool , a dozen shared another half , so if in theory 24 people can fish there , but my 2 buds will swing flys and ill be in a middle of a pool with my bar rig - its ok?
so 3 of us  early birds can own a pool ? :)

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »

I know I was in on this earlier (ie when it just started) but really guys.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2016, 06:59:59 PM »

u r kidding me ? dude took half a pool , a dozen shared another half , so if in theory 24 people can fish there , but my 2 buds will swing flys and ill be in a middle of a pool with my bar rig - its ok?
so 3 of us  early birds can own a pool ? :)

Yes.  In my 40+ years fishing the Cap, I have never started fishing in a pool that already had 3 guys fishing it, let alone 13 guys.  I will reluctantly fish if there are one or two guys, especially if I just hiked 20+ minutes into the pool, and then only if the guys are okay with it and if I can cast and retrieve without interfering with them.  Yes, there were one or two times I can remember when I was faced with having to hike out again, without fishing because there were already guys fishing and, since I do not drift fish, there was no room for me.  However, tempting it may be for me to say screw it and push way in and cast away, I have more respect for my fellow anglers and their own quiet enjoyment than that.

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2016, 08:25:16 PM »

tl;dr

There's sturgeon in the cap.