Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pay attention to the "tow away zone" signs at Stave....  (Read 5308 times)

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
Pay attention to the "tow away zone" signs at Stave....
« on: October 25, 2011, 06:58:56 PM »

Fished the west side after work today. As I was leaving, three tow trucks from Mission towing came up the road and started hooking up. I saw two cars get hooked up.....I was parked south of the signs, and they left mine alone, but did stop and look at one car that was parked on the white line. Didn't take that one though as there were easier pickings further up.
First time I've seen them this year.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
Re: Pay attention to the "tow away zone" signs at Stave....
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:00:30 PM »

Yeah I saw them as well this afternoon as I was leaving. Shitty for those who got their cars towed, but you should have obeyed the signs

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:53:35 PM »

talking to a local resident there recently
The reason the locals are complaining, so i was told
is that the shoulder of the road is blocked and they cant walk safely down the river side of the street as that is where the paved shoulder is.
Pull way over if is a legal parking spot, and dont tear up any grass etc
better off in the parking lot  ;)

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 08:00:01 PM »

its a long walk though.  My arm hurts and then I gotta walk too ;)

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »

So just curious, does anyone know the hours that the gate is open for the parking at the dam (east side)?

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:49:36 PM »

i think 7am.  But I know forsure it closes at 6pm

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 10:14:22 PM »

talking to a local resident there recently
The reason the locals are complaining, so i was told
is that the shoulder of the road is blocked and they cant walk safely down the river side of the street as that is where the paved shoulder is.
Pull way over if is a legal parking spot, and dont tear up any grass etc
better off in the parking lot  ;)

The solid white lateral line on the side of the road denotes that portion of the road/shoulder as a sidewalk. Ergo if you park there you will be issued a ticket for parking on a sidewalk. As leadbelly pointed out, now the local residents no longer have a safe passage for pedestrian travel.

If you want to fish the west side of the river, park up at Ruskin Park and walk for 5 minutes...
Actions speak louder than words.

bunnta

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 10:19:26 PM »

or just friggen read the sign, it has an arrow pointing which side you cannot park. If you want to be generous and not block the road at all, just park at the park as the poster said above. Too bad the tow truck drivers probably took sunday off, cause it was loaded with $$ everywhere there lol. Could have made over 3000$-5000$ hehe.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 07:53:58 AM »

"Too bad the tow truck drivers probably took sunday off"

You know you've bad in a previous life when you come back as a tow truck driver. Sunday is when these guy's are praying ............or bottom bouncing.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Derek Mcl

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 04:16:36 PM »

Sometimes I like to launch my pontoon boat on the West side just North of the RV Park and then float down to the log booms.  Is that area now "no parking"?  If so, that sucks, because there isn't really anywhere else to launch from in the tidal portion of the river.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 04:26:04 PM »

Sometimes I like to launch my pontoon boat on the West side just North of the RV Park and then float down to the log booms.  Is that area now "no parking"?  If so, that sucks, because there isn't really anywhere else to launch from in the tidal portion of the river.
It has been no parking for several years. Signs are there, just ignored by many, many people.

Derek Mcl

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 05:01:09 PM »

Thanks.  It's been several years since I did the float, so that would explain it.  There were no signs there "back in the day".  Shame.  Yet another example of restricted river access in favor of local interests.  I liked that spot because I could row back to it with the high tide and didn't need a shuttle.

bunnta

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 05:45:35 PM »

correct me if im wrong, but its about a 5 mins walk from the first sign to that spot to launch small boat. below that sign doesn't say you cannot park there since the arrow is pointing above the sign. below the sign would be okay to park?

CastCatch

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 11:41:34 PM »

correct me if im wrong, but its about a 5 mins walk from the first sign to that spot to launch small boat. below that sign doesn't say you cannot park there since the arrow is pointing above the sign. below the sign would be okay to park?

I saw cars parked there and the towing trucks didn't touch them. The tow trucks were busy with the ones parked on the north side of that sign. but you can always call the city to confirm. 

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 08:03:05 AM »

I saw cars parked there and the towing trucks didn't touch them. The tow trucks were busy with the ones parked on the north side of that sign. but you can always call the city to confirm. 

Because it isn't posted as a tow away zone, the city probably has to ticket you for parking on the "sidewalk" before you can be towed. The solid white line DOES indicate as a sidewalk though so anyone parking on the pavement where there's a solid white at the shoulder (me included) is just taking their chances I think.