Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new boat owner  (Read 2701 times)

fish fear me

new boat owner
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:42:20 AM »

Hi I just bought a 12 foot car topper boat outfitted with a minn kota Endura MAX 44 36-in trolling motor and was hoping to take it out with my 14 year old son. I was wondering where a good place to go would be. Ideally somewhere pretty calm and easy to boat on but where we could also get some fish. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: new boat owner
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 11:14:50 AM »

Lots of options. From Vancouver, I like Alta Lake in Whistler because it is a catch and release lake with plenty of rainbow trout and some big cutthroat trout. The boat launch is also quiet most of the time so you don't have to stress about loading and unloading your car topper. It should still be ok right now for fishing later in the afternoon. The wind from the South can get pretty strong later in the day so watch for that if you are heading to the North end where the good fishing usually is.

Hicks Lake at Sasquatch Provincial Park is another good option, but it can get congested with the school holiday coming up since you're also there with the camping crowd. Lots of rainbows, the odd cutthroat trout and kokanee.

Kawkawa Lake is good for kokanee fishing right now, but again the boat launch can get busy especially on weekends since you're also there with the water skiining crowd. The 12 footer should be ok in the waves created by the ski boats but can be a bumpy trip.

A little closer to town, Buntzen Lake is another good one but I find the fishing really unpredictable. The boat launch is wide so plenty of room to take your time without interfering with others.

Cultus Lake has no shortage of fish, just mostly northern pikeminnow and other minnow species. There are some cutthroat trout, kokanee and landlocked coho salmon mixed in there, but it's getting pretty warm now so catching them is rare. Lots of ski boats on weekends, so time your outing wisely if you are going there.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 09:48:14 PM »

Mill Lake is a good option to learn to launch and to operate your new boat. No power boats jetski's to worry about and you'll get the hang of your vessel in a safe environment. Plus if you run your battery out, its always an easy row back into the boat launch.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 10:41:19 PM »

Dear Lake, maybe?

Could be a good, safe place to get used to your new rig.  Rolley might be a nice trip as well.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 09:15:14 AM »

As Rodney mentioned, Buntzen is a good choice if you want to stay within the GV area. I find fishing more productive in the late afternoon hours on the south west side of the lake and close to the mouth of the creek. This lake is operated by Hydro and they close the gate @ 8 PM.

jimmywits

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 02:07:07 PM »

Dear Lake, maybe?

Could be a good, safe place to get used to your new rig.  Rolley might be a nice trip as well.   

If you are referring to Dear Lake in Burnaby, only human power is allowed. No gas, no electric !

jimmywits

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »

I would also recommend Buntzen lake, it has great access for launching and was restocked quite recently. I have allot of success trolling flies along the east shoreline mid morning.